PDA

View Full Version : Allison fails and Chevy has no parts.

Senor Cuete
05-29-2002, 12:34
Ten days ago my rear seal in my transfer case failed. A week ago I took it to the dealer. They ordered a seal, a yoke and another part. Chevy was unable to provide the parts and has them back-ordered. One week later and they still have no parts and no ETA so I have a $$$ truck that will be unusable for an unknown but long period. No there isn't a loaner or rental in town that is set up to tow my gooseneck horse trailer so I'm blowing off taking my daughter to a horse show in Idaho this weekend. BUMMER! Any suggestions?

Kennedy
05-29-2002, 12:37
How does the Allison get blamed for this??? Sounds like a driveshaft issue...

Why couldn't they put it back together and go, just watch t case fluid level???

Colorado Kid
05-29-2002, 14:33
I don't usually cry "foul", but you've got some credibility problems with me right now:
1) You apparently think Allison manufactured your transfer case.
2) You don't specify what parts were back orderred, ALL OF THEM???
3) This is your first post
4) You live in Wyoming (what part?) and your daughter shows horses yet you don't know a soul who will loan you a truck to get to a show? I've spent some time in WYO and at least half the trucks in the state have a goose ball, and the Wyoming residents I know will help out anyone they know, and most strangers.

If I'm wrong (and it has happened once or twice) then I appologize, and I hope you can get your problems resolved. More specific information about where you are and what parts might enable one of us to help you out. After all there are DP members in Wyoming and all the neighboring states, and some of us are pretty well connected with dealers.

IndigoDually
05-29-2002, 15:53
Is the Transfer case a new design or one that has been in use? I've got two words for you... Federal Express! Overnite those parts from some other dealer. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

John

mackin
05-29-2002, 16:03
WAIT >>>>>>> WAIT, just one minute........... I got two words too ...........

"DIAPER RASH" ........... Cause he is so full of crap ..........Well, maybe just in case ...........

MAC tongue.gif

stretch
05-29-2002, 19:12
Easy does it fella's !!!! The flames are getting very hot here !!! Let's give the newbie the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to get educated here before we start burning him. :eek:

Senor Cuete
05-29-2002, 20:36
Yes, I was careless in calling the transfer case an Allison when it is a chevy. I went over their heads today and contacted Chevrolet today. There are NO parts at any dealer or even in Flint, Michigan. When they get to Chevy from a subcontractor they will be expidited but this is going to be a long, long time (they have no idea how long). Yes, some of my friends are going to the same show with their truck and their trailer full of their kids and their horse. Whoever thinks he knows a thing or two about Wyoming (but doesn't live here) is delusional. Obviously none of you would be angry about buying a truck from a company that can't repair it for weeks or months. Yes, I could drive it broken but when I said blown I meant BLOWN - slinging a LOT of oil and with a damaged yoke. You lie about having been in Wyoming because if you had you would have been in the middle of nowhere and you would understand that breaking down there with a load of kids and horses is a BFD.

mackin
05-29-2002, 20:50
Senor Cuete,
Sometimes we can be to dam defensive . I am guilty myself......It would be best to get a little bio up on what you are driving ........Some spacifics .......
I did say "JUST IN CASE"........ Do your best and hang in there ..... Is it a bent yoke or a bad spline ripped the seal?
Is it electronic or floor lever engagement?
Our transfer case only spins when engaged so why would the seal at the yoke spill? If not spinning? Why couldn't they just pull the front driveshaft and he could be on his way ...... Or is it reverse? Transaxle spins, no drive shaft spin to the front pumpkin...... ?

MAC

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Southard
05-29-2002, 22:19
He very plainly stated, in his first sentence, that it was the rear seal of the transfer case that failed. By the way, mackin, are you paid by Edge or do you pay for your own modifications?

Kennedy
05-29-2002, 22:37
The seal should be simple, and available through the aftermarket. Same with the bushing which I am assuming is the other part as that is likely hurt along with the yoke. From there, a speedy sleeve may be available to get you on the road. Not knowing the whole story makes it difficult, but quite often a little ingenuity goes a long way!

Then again, GM probably has a PILE of used yokes from all the driveshaft swaps being done...

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

mackin
05-30-2002, 04:26
Southard ,

Did a piece of that bridge conk ya in the head? Just kidding .... Awful thing .... I fly solo, unfortunately ... But as I've stated I'm looking for sponsors ...... Want to ANN'IE up? I'll write your Initials on top of the muffler for 20 bucks .......... :eek: :eek:
Sorry about the miss-read ..... Not perfect ... GHEESH ....Proof read critics.......
MAC tongue.gif

we all might feel silly . we'll have to see where this goes .......

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

01_Duramax_Dually
05-30-2002, 08:04
Mac......Holy Schnikes...

Easy does it Fella.
So you been over 97 MPH yet????

So why did we all fire off on the "Newbie"?

I done thought weeeez supposed to be a friendly bunch in here?

Sounds like Senor has a legit problem. I have been there in regards to having a problem and GM not having the part. Production demands are exceptionally high so parts go for the new, not for the repairs.

Senor Please keep us posted, I know there are aftermarket parts available however GM will not pony up the $$$ to buy from someone else. This is a warranty issue and you have to play the game...Sad as that sounds

Redhawk
05-30-2002, 10:21
Ditto on the parts wait. I've been waiting for a foam rubber gasket for my air cleaner for about three weeks, with nothing in sight.

IMHO it would be nice if people used their signature so the rest of us could get a better idea of what you are running and be better able to help when needed.

Senor Cuete
05-30-2002, 11:15
2001 2500HD crewcab shortbed duramax allison.

more bad news from chevy customer support:

1. No parts at any other dealer, no parts in Flint, Michigan, no parts coming from supplier for an unknown time but don't even bother to worry about it for another week or ten days when maybe we can at least have some idea when they might become available.

2. You're not even the only customer at this dealership with your truck mothballed because Chevy has no drive train parts.

Does this sound like a legitimate complaint to you?

mackin
05-30-2002, 11:20
01_Duramax_Dually,
Again I goofed.......
Now what did I do ? I said I was kidding ... Except for the muffler thing ....... I'm sincere about that ........ tongue.gif
Mac

Or was it the two word thing? I said just in case ....... OOPS ... I'll put my "JUICE" down to level 2 for punishment .......

Now back to the problem ........ The front seal isn't the yoke driveshaft connection ......? This is a wet sump application .. No?

So if not useing four wheel drive how bad could it leak if you were not to use it ? Just wondering ....... He probably has a ligit problem ...... I wasn't bashing .... Wanted more details ..... Please don't take offence Senor Cuete .......

ChevysRus
05-30-2002, 11:33
Just a thought, but if you could get the parts at the aftermmarket place, I would buy them and take them to the dealer to have them installed. Then I would write Chevy for a reimbursement. You may be out the price of the parts, but they should eat the labor to install them. I may be wrong, but sounds like you could get the seal for just a few bucks and the yoke should be less than $50 +/- and the bushing might be free LOL. Anyway the point is you could be on the road for about $100 bucks out of your pocket rather than the downtime trying to get it all done under warranty.

Also if you have the parts numbers, you might try calling a few local dealers to see what they say about the parts. Sometimes dealers want to hold on to their parts inventories for their customers. So they say "no" to releasing parts to another dealer. Just a thought and it might help.

If you have the part numbers needed, post them here and I am sure a few of us would call our local dealers to see if we can find those parts for you. Might be a waste of time, but you never know. I was told the Allison internal deep filter was back ordered and couldn't get one for 60 days. Called 3 dealers and found one in Oregon, they shipped it and I had it in 2 days. Didn't cost a penny more than my local source.

I am assuming the transfer case is the same as used in the gasser in which case you might even get the part from a local wrecking yard (only gassers go to the scrap heap, Dmax's live forever) LOL

OK so thanks for posting your problem and we are here to help. Some of us just wake up with a bad rash some mornings, but most of the time everyone here is very cool!

Good Luck

MAXed Out
05-30-2002, 11:53
I can help with Se

77TransAm
05-30-2002, 13:10
Senor Cuete,

Does your truck have a one-piece driveshaft or a two-piece? If you still have the two-piece, tell your dealership you had a shudder on acceleration. That'll cause them to order you a new one-piece driveshaft which will take care of the yoke problem. (See bulletin 01-04-17-001B) If you already have the one-piece shaft, maybe you can convince them to order you an entire replacement shaft instead of waiting for the yoke.

As for the seal, I'd be surprised if anybody in the aftermarket is making that yet - it's a totally new part for the '01 and up HD trucks. It's not terribly uncommon to see them leaking, though, so there should be plenty in SPO.

I'm not a parts person, but the number I came up with for the seal on an NP261 t-case is 12547638; SPO shows to have about 8300 of them in the system. It doesn't sound like your dealer is on top of this one....

Silver Bullet
05-30-2002, 15:53
If you have part numbers, check out http://www.gmpartsdirect.com. You may have some luck here.

From their web site...gmpartsdirect.com IS INDEPENDENTLY OWNED & OPERATED BY FLOW CHEVROLET, LLC, AN AUTHORIZED INDEPENDENT RESELLER OF GENERAL MOTORS PARTS. THIS SITE IS NOT OWNED OR OPERATED BY GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION.)

Colorado Kid
05-30-2002, 17:35
Not that I need to prove anything to anyone, but my College Transcipts have the words "The University of Wyoming" and a seal with the word equality on it. I know guys in Cheyenne, Douglas and west of Lusk that have gooseneck hitch balls on their trucks and are not going to horse shows this weekend, among others. I'll admidt that it has been more than 10 days since I have personally set foot in Wonderful Wyoming. We've asked relevant questions about exactly which parts and exactly what location, and you haven't told us, so we still can't help. I don't know if you are 70 miles from my house or 500 miles, but their are a lot of dealers in and near Denver (where I work), and I have had a dealer here ready to sell me a part that a dealer in Northern ID said GM wouldn't sell them (heated rear window glass), so the story varies depending on what dealer is telling it. Keep in mind that Chevy "Customer Care" is an independent sub-contractor working for GM, and is not GM.

Another Idea is, if you know anyone who has a 5th Wheel camper (like me), if they have a Reese or DrawTite hitch (like me) there are gooseneck ball plates that fit the same rails as the 5th Wheel hitch...maybe somebody owes you a favor.

Yes I would be frustrated if my truck couldn't be driven, Hell I'm PO'ed that the passenger side lock knob keeps falling off even though the dealer has "fixed" it.

YOU asked for suggestions, and we've made some...you seem to think we're joking at your expence but I for one am not. I hate to see kids disappointed, and would go to great lengths to get my own sons to an event...including begging a ride or borrowing a truck. I know you said some of your friends are taking their trailers, trucks, kids and horses to the show, but is there someone who's bumper pull horse trailer will be home? A U-Haul can pull those just fine, as long as you're not taking more than a couple horses...of course a U-Haul can be hard to come by on short notice.

Senor Cuete
05-30-2002, 20:14
Mackin:

Regarding WAAA crap in the diaper:

What an incredibly eloquent, helpful, edifying posting that is. You are obviously a very educated fellow. Just how many years did you spend in the second grade? Or did you education proceed that far?

I am well educated as well, having graduated Summa Cum Laude from Harvard Law School. I'm a Judge here in Wyoming. I could even marry your mother and father (if she knew who he was).

On second thought maybe you could benefit more from a visit with my brother the famous brain surgeon. Sadly, brain transplant surgery is not yet perfected but a rectal crainiectomy would help you out a graet deal.

Cuete

MudNurI
05-30-2002, 20:31
Cuete-

now thats a heck of a way to get help around here, Mackin was foolin, you were basically down right RUDE...

I personally think your FOS..only because like has been said in previous posts on this thread, you are not supplying any part numbers dealer names and the like....GM customer cares doesn't know what parts are available..how could they, they aren't located where the parts are...They still don't know about the steering rattle fix, that numerous people here have had.

grow up a bit buddy, and supply answers to questions. and don't be so darn nasty. You might just get the help you need. I myself have had a few problems with our D/A, and these guys (& a few chicks) have given me actual part numbers to take to my idiot dealer..and guess what..my trucks almost 100% fixed...

Don't come here looking for help, then be a complete A**..

Brandy

Silver Bullet
05-30-2002, 20:33
Cuete,
Go easy on Mack...he can come across the wrong way at times, but he is a pretty good guy. Besides, he is our resident guinea pig!

Mack,
Cuete is no Trussman!!! Play nice with the newbies!!!

:D

tpitt
05-30-2002, 21:08
Wow and all that coming from a Judge. No wonder a lot of people have lost respect for the judical system. Apparently the famous brain surgeon brother has practiced on him. Must not have found a lot to work with. tpitt

Mic
05-31-2002, 07:55
Senor Cuete

Can you post the last six (6) digits of your VIN?

Then I'll let you know where to go from there.

sonofagun
05-31-2002, 09:09
Initially I thought ...What an interesting dialogue for a bunch of adults to engage in! The judge may have a legitimate issue. Legitimate ideas and offers of help have been made. Take a look at the number of posts that those who responed to you have made on this site. They've been here a long time and heard lots of good (and fishy) stories. They get a bit suspicious at times. Those who are not really telling the whole story seem to fit a pattern. You wouldn't be the first F*** or D**** guy to slip over here for a little sniping. On the other hand you my be a new guy with a new truck and a b**** of a problem.

All this said and based on the judges last thoughts I have to say the following:

I'll be in Wyoming in a few weeks and I hope to avoid your court room judge (your brother's surgery too).

I guess I know why I went to Stanford instead of Harvard.

I have to agree that there is somwe fuzz on your story judge. Post something about yourself so we can see who and what you are about. Use your judicial wisdom to keep the dialogue on the right plane (I'm sure you do that in your court room right?)They teach compasion and understanding at Harvard Law, right?

Pick up on those who offered you help here and ignore those who are a bit circumspect of your story. If you pursue that course and your story checks out because you do the rest will come in line and get on your side. They even know how to appologize.

If this won't work for you then you may be better served and suited by using another site where you get more help and less guff (and save your scarcism for your court room where you can more likely get away with it).

My thoughts and my signature for all to view.

Bob

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

Colorado Kid
05-31-2002, 10:54
Actually a lot became clear to me with the Senor's last post.

I understand now how he can live in Wyoming and not have friends falling all overthmselves to help out...Wyomingites tend to be more than a little leary of folks with East Coast credentials, especially legal types, usually with good reasons.

I never quite said it, but I hinted that if the Senor wanted my help there was a pretty good chance he could borrow my truck, IF I met him and he struck me as a "Citizen of the West" (Not to big a hat, big herd, deep roots, rough hands, firm grip and a steady gaze). I don't think a Harvard educated Judge is likely to give me that impression, and I'm considering retracting any previous offers of help on the grounds of "contempt of offerer". If I appear in his courtroom and fail to give any details in my testimony, even after repeated follow up questioning, I would expect very little sympathy from the court.

At any rate it's getting a little late to leave for Idaho with horses.

Senor Cuete, your honor, one last chance: If you give me specific descriptions of what parts are needed, (Which T-case, lever or pushbutton; which yoke, one piece driveshaft or 2 piece; and exactly what the part is which is neither seal nor yoke) then I'll make the calls to dealers here to see if they have the parts. Some of the nearby dealers have sold and service quite a few of these trucks, and as I mentioned before the story on parts inventory varies widely. It is unusual for parts for New Venture transfer cases to be unavailable. I don't know that I'd be able to scape anything up, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. All it will cost you is having to accept help (that you asked for in the first place) from sombody with green license plates. ;)

If took delivery of your truck less than a year ago you'd best be counting the days, cause you're about half way to meeting the Lemon Law 30 days out-of-service. Mention that (politely) to the dealer and see if parts don't begin to fall out of the trees.

mackin
05-31-2002, 12:18
WOW ,
I guess I should check back sooner .......

Senor Cuete,

You passed over my post, and you reposted ...... Then I catch hell from another member, then I apologize to you, then you throw the BOOK AT ME ....... Hey that's cool ........ Your not much of a JUDGE of character although...... Good luck with your truck ...... Stick around long enough till you get it resolved ...... If you would next time when you post a problem. Details, we would like details ...... Especially with a NEW PERSON ....... Occasionally we get some undesirables that want to BASH our pride and joy ........ Perhaps you didn't know that ...... Me I personally don't like to brag, but I'll tell you one thing I run a successful business that gives me a descent life style ..... Frankly I've dealt with some rudeness like this before, and usually they are on the losing end of the deal ...... Hey no problem'o .....So you are a JUDGE ...... Court system ..... Civil, Criminal Law, Probate ,Supreme? Hope I never stand in front of you ... For a bench tongue lashing ...... I thought they were fair, unbiased, and open minded, not judgmental ..... You must have skipped that semester ...... My MOM and DAD alive and well , thanks for asking ......... See them all the time ,nice people the did well raising me ......
MAC

Hey you got to take it if you dish it like me ........
:rolleyes:

stretch
05-31-2002, 15:39
News Flash !!!! 1st Annual Diesel Page Celebrity Boxing Match !!!! "Mackin - aka Mack Daddy vs. Senor Cuete. Who will have the upper hand, The East Coast Irishman or the Wild Thing from Wyoming. Date for the match is still in negotiation. Do we have any takers for the undercard fights ??? tongue.gif

mackin
05-31-2002, 17:47
stretch,

Put the money on "MAC DADDY" ........

....... I don't think he meet his match yet ........ La" bottom-me" ....... My upper tail bone ........

Anonymous tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

(M*C)

AzKevin
05-31-2002, 20:21
Adding a bit of relevant levity here...

It's that 99% of the bad lawyer (judge) population that give the remaining 1% a bad name. :D :D

Q: What is 1000 lawyers (judges) at the bottom of the ocean? A: Good start. :D :D

Q: What sounds like... Thump, Thump
A: A mackin left right cross combo turning out the judge's lights.

Redhawk
05-31-2002, 20:59
A newbie calls in and asks a question without giving what some would consider adequate information, and the next thing you know it turns into a fist fight. You guys are acting like India and Pakistan. Get a grip, get over it and answer the man's question. If you think he a troll, then just ignore him since a troll only wants to stir things up. Don't give him the satisfaction. As it stands now everybody should shake hands and get past this thing.

ChevysRus
06-01-2002, 00:06
Here comes the judge, here comes the judge
He be walking, because he did too much talking

Trash talking, means he's still walking

His truck is still broken, because he's so out spoken

Penalties severe, because he has a broken rear

We've got the ability, if he'd get some civility

Well in those famous words "can't we all jus gets along"

I think I can understand why no one at the dealership is bustin their chops to help this guy.

Oh well, ya can't please them all can ya!

Good luck there judge, we hereby sentence you to an indefinite term waiting for parts with no chance for parole. You gets 'em when they sends 'em!

Warm and Fuzzy Regards

alamovet
06-01-2002, 00:24
Amen ChevyRus!! Your wit is much better than "the Judge"

Senor,

If you and your relatives are so smart, what are you doing looking for advice on this forum? Surely a Harvard educated fellow like yourself or your brother the physician could figure out a simple problem with an engine

mdrag
06-01-2002, 01:19
Here is the link to TDP Registration agreement:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=agree

I believe this portion is relevant to this thread:

Quote:
================================================== ===================

"...You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or violates any other law..."

================================================== ====================

Every forum member agreed to these terms as a condition of forum participation.

Some of the posts may have already crossed the line...

SoMnDMAX
06-01-2002, 02:08
Well said, Mdrag!!

You guys are acting like a bunch of three year olds. Definitely looks that way from here. Just because he's a newbie with a problem doesn't automatically mean he's a troll. We were all newbies once, so go easy on him. My $.02, take it or leave it. To go on the defensive (or possibly offensive) the way some of you did is absolutely ridiculous, and totally uncalled for IMHO.

Senor Cuete, Mic is sincere about his question for the last six digits of the VIN. He can help you out, like he has in the past for others. I personally would talk to a few other dealers, and see what they can do. Worse comes to worse, order the seal yourself, and save some down time. I too went thru this same thing when my fuel pressure sender failed last summer. Nine days in the shop, no parts, went in and raised cane, voila, the parts were there and installed the next day. Be polite, but very reinforcing that your truck needs to be fixed ASAP, with NO EXCUSES.

There are quite a few people in here willing to help with your problem. Please pay no attention to the third graders.

smile.gif

Added on edit-

Senor, e-mail me the last six VIN numbers if you do not want to post them. Mic, e-mail me as well, and I will forward the numbers to you.

somndmax@yahoo.com

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

mackin
06-01-2002, 06:21
MDRAG,

I hope that was intended for the NEWBIE, and not the rest of us ....... I clearly stated I was goofing around, way before he UN leashed a furry of well you know ....... And I have no complaint about what I got either ....

Each one prior to that is begging to help him out . Offer up some info, please .......

I'm a paying member for going on 3 years ...... IMHO the writing on the monitor says this guy is trolling for an argument ...... If he wants help he surely can get it here ......

So to me its a good call from all the GUYS and LADIES who shouted out. And I respect them for it ......AH - SALUTE ..... If we sounded like 3 year olds so be it ...... It was all tasteful, compared to his post ......... Being new blood ..........

MAC

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

alamovet
06-01-2002, 07:14
"You guys are acting like a bunch of three year olds. Definitely looks that way from here. Just because he's a newbie with a problem doesn't automatically mean he's a troll. We were all newbies once, so go easy on him. My $.02, take it or leave it. To go on the defensive (or possibly offensive) the way some of you did is absolutely ridiculous, and totally uncalled for IMHO"

I felt the same way until Senor made the immature, rude, ugly, etc., post to Mackin. Once he did that, he lost all credibility with me. Gives me the shivers just thinking of having to deal with a guy with that nasty of an attitude.

:(

ChevysRus
06-01-2002, 23:25
OK OK three year olds never, but I am proud to be forever sophmoric! LOL ha ha ha tongue.gif ;) :D

Well I hope the old judge gets his truck fixed soon or it gonna be a long hot summer there in Wyoming Traffic Court!

My last comment on this subject.....court's adjorned

More Power
06-02-2002, 16:04
I was away for about 36 hours, and this is a "problem" I had waiting for me.

I would recommend that everyone here re-read the forum registration agreement. The first 2-3 paragraphs spells out in plain english what is and is not tolerated, regarding bad behavior.

It's real easy to delete a forum registration.....

MP

hdmax(mike)
06-02-2002, 16:56
I`ve been reading this forum for the better part of a year now, And love the information.

I don`t have a D-Max as of yet. But if the Judge wants to get rid of his. I`ll take it! seeing how he has some problems, I won`t give top doller, But none the less. I will take it. And I am sure with the good help here I`ll have it good as new in no time.