PDA

View Full Version : Bow Tie Emblem Defect?

TIMMYN
05-29-2002, 13:05
I have a 2001 2500HD D/A EC. It has recently gotten hot here in Minnesota and I notice the bow tie emblem on the front grill, looks to be peeling under the clear plastic. There are no cracks in the grill and I have not hit anything. I have about 17,000 miles on the truck. Does this sound like a warranty situation or should I pay the $20.00 the dealer asks for the emblem. Also, is it very hard to replace if I do it myself. Any help would be appreciated

MudNurI
05-29-2002, 14:23
HA the infamous emblem peeling -- We had this happen on our 99 Z-71, and now on the D/A. our new dealer ordered me one, and installed it, free. thats with I think 25,000 miles on her when we got that part fixed.

The other thing to be VERY careful of is your stickers on your rear fenders...if you have them, DONT hit them with a powerwasher , they will come off. replaced them too.

Brandy

MAXed Out
05-29-2002, 17:35
Timmy N,

As far as replacing the bowtie emblem, its easy. First you'll have to remove the plastic clips for that secure the fan/radiator shield. Then remove the fan/radiator shield. Now you can reach down and get to the two nuts that secure the bowtie emblem to the grill.

If you end up having to pay for a new bowtie emblem, that's the time to buy a polished or satin billet aluminum emblem. No more peeling, only peeling out.

Good luck!

pushpole
05-29-2002, 18:36
Mine's peeling too, 14,000 miles. I think I'm going to go with the after market back-lighted bow tie. Man I hate this, my last few posts have all been negative :( I really really do love my truck!!!! :D :D There I feel better.

MAXed Out
05-30-2002, 11:41
PushPole,

If you want to post something positive, how about letting me know how the snook are biting?

Another bowtie remedy is to have it painted to match your truck. Looks really nice. No offense, but that gold bowtie is ugly!

konacat
05-30-2002, 12:23
I had read what a terrible time people were having with the bow tie emblem. The problem made me realize I did not want a truck that I had to put a tie on to make it presentable. Of course, I went out and purchased A GMC. :D :D :D Just kidding around. Hope you guys resolve your peeling problem.

odoh
05-30-2002, 17:19
Konacat ~ I've been pondering about replacing the bowtie emblem w/the GMC emblem. It looks better anyway and I just love the boss bar the chevy has. That can confuse some inquiring minds. ~ odoh