PDA

View Full Version : Gear Indicator light

MudNurI
10-24-2002, 20:43
I did a search, and didn't come up with anything (could have been I didn't check back far enough).

But anyways, today I had the D/A, went to do some shopping a town about 30 minutes away- went to Burger King- came out, put the truck in Drive- light stopped at R- though truck was in D...put back in P...light went OUT...shut truck off, waited a few minutes, started truck back up, same thing...truck went through all the gears, R was really R D was really D etc... though the light wouldn't come on, or if it did it would stay in the R, Started driving home- went about 1 1/2 mile down the road- light came on in D, which is where I was....stayed on all the way home- pulled beyond the driveway, put it in R- light went to R,,,pulled back out, (just to see) sure enough light went out......drove around the block 4 times, light came back on......

Truck is still shifting perfectly, not missing a beat....am I doomed to end up in LIMP mode again? What's the fix, and does it get worse, or is my light just on the blink?

thanks guys
Brandy

Maverick
10-24-2002, 21:07
Its the neutral safety switch on the tranny. Costs like 24 bucks. Had mine replaced last winter. It went out snowplowing. Dealer was great, got it in right away and got me plowing again. This is a very common thing to go out. Try a search on "neutral safety switch". Should get lots of hits.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

OilMan
10-25-2002, 20:31
MudNurI -
Keep in mind that this particular switch has a new, improved version. It is located on the underside of the Allison and the improvment is better sealing from water. A search of this board back to the start of this year should reveal both part numbers.
Got mine changed earlier this month when my tranny acted up just like yours. Local Chevy dealer could not get the new, improved part for me, so he installed the old version. Hope you get better service than I did.

mdrag
10-25-2002, 21:05
Here are Allison part #s that I've compiled from posts on these forums:

ALLISON 1000 SERIES PART #

Maverick
10-25-2002, 21:47
I jinxed myself by responding to this thread. Guess what happened today. I will order the new improved version. What a joke.....always something taking money out of my pocket.

MudNurI
10-26-2002, 06:23
Well, I called the dealership's yesterday- Dealership #1, would only take the truck in on Tuesday to "DIAGNOSE" the problem...said no thanks, dealership #2, said they could get it on on next Thursday- and they would check the problem, "maybe we have the part"....

so,,,,,,, called dealership #3..man this truck has more "doctors" than my entire family does..#3 is about 30 minutes from here, sold my brother in law the 8.1/A, but we haven't ever used the service dept...

Called and said- " I am losing my gear indicator light on my '01 D/A..I think its the NSBU, from the information I have gathered from other D/A owners, any way I can get a new one installed...service writer " Sure thing, hold on 1 second, I know the redesigned it, let me make sure we have a new one in stock"...la, da da, (hold music)...he comes back on, "sorry ma'am we do not have any in stock, I will order it today, and it should be here Monday, but to be safe, lets put you in the book for Tuesday, if it comes in Monday morning I will call you, and you can come down then..."..so I say.."Sounds like you've done a few of these"..."Yes ma'am we have, usually around 30-40K on the truck, they go..." weird I'm just over 40K...

So it's off Tuesday- John's driving it today, I'll laugh if it leaves him stranded, I told him not to, but you know how men with their D/A's are!..

I'll post on Tuesday night what actually happened..going to get a transmission change as well, along with the new spin on etc... oh heck its almost time for a LOF, might as well do that too...get her ready for winter.

Brandy