PDA

View Full Version : GM have any plans to compete with the 2003 F450?

kburati
05-30-2002, 08:52
Over on one of the RV forums their's tons of discussion regarding big heavy campers overloading 3500 series trucks and the F350 Dually. 11400 just isn't enough for the 5000 lb. wet campers. Apparently Ford is going to offer the F450 with a bed in 2003 at 15000 GVWR, including 19.5" wheels and bigger rotors plus different suspension and frame. It will possibly be the first truck to be able to handle an 11.5 foot slide-in with a slide-out without modifications and still legally be within limits.

GM have any plans to compete with this? I've seen the Bruin concept truck but it's got an 8' by 10.5' bed with a cab that's most likely too high to fit a slide-in camper. With the old C/K series there was a 3500 and a 3500HD, any plans for a 3500HD with the new style?

I have an '01 3500 Duramax CC and am upgrading tires, shocks, sway bar and adding air bags. I'm comfortable that my truck can handle the 4500 lb. wet camper I'm planning on getting next fall but it still won't be legal, I'll be about 1000 or more lbs. over GVWR even though I'll be within the ratings of the wheels, tires and front and rear axles.

IndigoDually
05-30-2002, 09:20
Probably not, the pick-up camper market is a relatively small segment. A major reason that I can see F@rd putting a bed on a 450 is to appeal to the person pulling a 5th wheel. Many aren't too enthusiastic about driving around in a single purpose hauler body and not having much of a cargo bed. The other thing is the looks, some are attractive($$$) and others look like a wrecker body without a boom. A bed would appeal to a majority of the marketplace that is not in the market for a cab and chassis.

I personally would like to see a configuration of the new 4500's that you could put a pick-up bed on.

John

kburati
05-30-2002, 11:06
That's too bad. There are some new concept slide-in campers out there that have tons of room inside with dual slide-outs and massive holding tanks (up to 90 gal) but weigh around 3800 lbs. dry equating to about 5000 lbs. wet without people or gear. They're expensive so I'm not considering one now for myself but if I ever did I don't think my 3500 would be enough.

Look at the floorspace in this unit:

http://www.hostcampers.com/campers.html

Based on past experience I'd prefer to avoid driving a Ford at all costs if I could afford a unit like this some day. Although I'm sure the new F450 diesel is nothing like my old '88 Bronco 5.8 Liter, but it still has that loud smelly Powerstroke engine!

Diesel to the MAX
05-30-2002, 12:03
kburati, I don't get it. :confused:

If you want a camper that big,why not just get a TT of 5er? I can see getting a small slide in so you can bring a boat/jet ski/ what ever/ with you, but one that big, you can't even hook a trailer up to.

Can anyone help me out here?

kburati
05-30-2002, 14:12
You most certainly can hook up a trailer to a unit like that. The camper I'm getting is actually longer than that one, just not as heavy. A company called Tork Lift makes a product called the super hitch which is available with a 48" extension, if you use a weight distribution system you can tow up to 10000 lbs. with a 1000 lb. tongue weight. Even with the camper and my 7500 lb. boat I'll be under the 22000 GCWR.

There are many reasons for me not to get a TT or a 5er. One is I live and go places that you couldn't get either to.

Diesel to the MAX
05-30-2002, 15:43
kburati,

:cool:

I stand corrected. redface.gif :(

That has to be some strong hitch to hold 1000 lb tongue weight that far from the frame! I guess that is why they call it a "super" hitch, huh? :D I hope you are able to get your dream camper very soon. smile.gif

hoot
05-31-2002, 07:34
Friend of mine has a F-550 dually with a bed. He custom ordered the truck and had the bed mounted.