PDA

View Full Version : How many here are pulling overload ?

Beemr69
03-30-2002, 17:15
I pull a Travel Supreme 5 th wheel rv and I'm looking for my next truck and I'm trying my best not to go to a MDT , I dont want the insurance and licensing hassles .

I at present have a F*** F 350 DRW PSD , and I am very interested in the Gm HD trucks . Allison or 6 speed whats the consensus ?

cantravel
03-30-2002, 17:30
I pull a 36'NuWa Sno Villa at 16,000 lbs more or less, with my Duramax/Allison, grossing 23,000 lbs or more. This is a great engine/transmission combination, and of course, the truck is just the best! Had a D***e 24 valve Cummins, and before that a 6.5 Turbo Chev, so I know from where I speak.

01 Chev K3500 LT D/A Crew LBx
Diesel Page Member #40

hammer
03-30-2002, 18:17
Im pulling a 36 ft. travel Supreme triple slider tri-axle also.The combined weight of the two is around 26,500.So far the truck has had no trouble pulling this load.Havent hardly needed the tow/haul mode except for traffic & hills.All the power needed & the guiteness of the engine is so nice not to mention the ride,superb truck.Me & my wife are full timers traveling all around the U.S.Havent had any trouble with the truck since I got it last May.Have got not guite 20,000 on it now.Its a pleasure to drive something like this.Wouldnt hesitate to buy anouther one like it in a heartbeat.Hammer smile.gif

DSLPOWR
03-31-2002, 00:15
I pull a 12k fifth wheel travel trailer for recreation and a 48' triple axel triple car hauler for work (and sometimes play) that can gross 20k loaded trailer alone (27k total truck and fully loaded trailer) and she pulls like a dream, I try not to make a habit of this because it is beyond what the truck is designed for but now and then.... :rolleyes: I have the Allison in the 2500HD and the ZF6 in the 3500 and they are both very nice transmissions and compliment the Duramax. I think it's all preference here on out, you like to shift or no? That's your own decision. Personally I have had no shift problems with the Allison after the ECM updates. My previous truck before the "rash of Chevy's" was a F-550 PSD that I used to haul cars all over and it was a nice truck too, but I like the DMax better, although the 550 had more "oomph" to it in the rear because it's almost a medium duty truck.

I think you will be happy with your decision of you choose to buy the DMax. :D

Beemr69
03-31-2002, 22:57
Ok now to define my original post , is this tow/haul thing for real or is it just another gimmick ?

Do any of you also use a exhaust brake ?
How about a Gear Vendors under/overdrive ?

bluenote
03-31-2002, 23:09
Beemr-

I don't pull as heavy a 5er as you're looking at, but tow/haul does work as advertised with the allison for me. The grade-braking will slow you down extremely well with little or no use of the brakes coming up to a stop, and from what I understand from the folks who've driven the mountains, will keep your speed in check very well on downhill grades. I know some people with larger RV's have installed and successfully used exhaust brakes with the dmax/allison, but I don't think I'd ever need it with my set-up.

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2002, 01:56
Beemr69

The Tow/Haul works as advertised. When engaged, the torque converter locks at about 20 mph and stays locked. The shifts are very firm and well matched. I frequently tow a 12K 5'ver and live in the Sierra foothills in the central CA area, so anywhere I go involves 6% + hills. I don't think I, or anyone, could do any better with a stick shift, although I prefer jamming gears. The grade braking is priceless. I have considered adding an exhaust brake, and probably will someday, but for now, the built in feature works very well and suits my needs. It will hold 20K GVW on a 6% downgrade at about 3300 rpm's with no brake peddle pressure. This is my experience, but I've heard others say better and worse. My milage is approaching 40K and I couldn't be pleased more with the truck.

DSLPOWR
04-01-2002, 01:56
Tow/Haul is no joke, actually it's pretty cool and functional at that. It locks the torque converter 2-5 gear which reduces heat buildup in the transmission, thus extending it's life. And the grade braking feature is pretty cool too, it slows you right down by downshifting at just the right moment. Something no other truck had to offer....

cantravel
04-01-2002, 10:09
I agree. Tow/Haul works just fine. I have not done any mountain climbing/decending with my rig yet, and I know one or two other Duramax owners have installed exhaust brakes, but IMHO, additional braking is not required.

Tow/Haul is useful when accelerating from a stop, but otherwise, I use the normal transmission mode for travel.

Tow/Haul certainly makes best use of the Allison and provides a genuine sense of security when slowing to a stop.

01 Chev K3500 D/A LT Crew LBx
2000 Nu Wa Sno Vila 16,000 lbs
Diesel Page Member #40

N.E. TMRPR
04-02-2002, 09:27
I tow horses and cattle and this is where you really apreciate the tow haul mode. When you tow livestock you always get a surge of weight at stopping,especially with cattle and the downshifting really helps with this. Haven't gone through a exit ramp or traffic light yet without wanting to :eek: Have a friend who is a die hard F*** fan and drove my buddy's new chev D/A crew 3500 and even he commented on the way the trans tow haul works. By the way, he was hauling 16 big dairy cows on a 28' gooseneck at the time. Just a little weight there. :D 1500#+ ea x 16 + weight of trailer, I let you guys do the math. :D

MABurns
04-02-2002, 12:17
I too am not close to your weight, but wanted to comment on the tow haul mode. I prefer it off except when going down hill when the grade brake feature is really nice.

Second comment is on you screen name....you should have gotten the K1200 LT. Much nicer..... ;)

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: MABurns ]</p>

TimT
04-03-2002, 00:58
I'm fulltiming a '97 Travel Supreme. Scaled the truck and trailer at 24,360. Pulls great- only problem was keeping UNDER the posted limit. Tow/Haul with the Allison is worth it.. I use it all the time, towing or not. :cool: :cool:

DaveRuane
04-03-2002, 10:48
Tow/Haul also gives the truck a new personality when your not towing but just GETTIN' ON IT! Fun! I bet I can get a second gear tire chirp if I work on it in tow/haul mode.