PDA

View Full Version : Power steering upgrade???

hoot
10-25-2002, 20:28
I don't know about everyone else but the last few GM trucks I've owned had little or no power steering when the truck is not moving or you brake hard.

Is there any way to upgrade/improve the pump or whatever else the problem is?

Maybe a high volume pump?

[ 10-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

woodzie
10-25-2002, 22:09
Hoot

I have had the same prob. on my 2001 K3500,ext cab,4whd since day one.Dealership replaced pump-then the gear box-still the same problem-will not turn on rough concrete,grass,or dirt without moving the vehicle a little.No solution yet!!??-even tried pumping the tires up to 80lbs on the front.

:confused:

stretch
10-26-2002, 05:15
Same here, and its worse with the 265's I have on mine. Unfortunetly, I've learned to live with it, but not happily :(

hoot
10-26-2002, 07:05
I think it's normal. That's the way GM designed it.

It's also probably too complicated to address. You have ABS and hydroboost using pressure from the pump also. Raising pressure might effect those units.

I like the old days when you could turn the wheel with your pinky while parked.

Dinkie Diesel
10-26-2002, 08:13
Perhaps it's the opinions coming from abroad that prompted GM to make the steering heavier. Ever read an article about a new car as reviewed by a European judge? All they ever talk about is how light the steering is and you can't feel the road. Well I say pi$$ on their opinion. If you have power styeering who wants to have to crank on the wheel.

hoot
10-26-2002, 11:08
Dinkie,

That's not what is being talked about here. I think we all like to feel the road and have some reststance while driving but I don't think anybody asked them to turn off th epower steering when you are sitting still. If anything it should be boosted then.

stretch
10-27-2002, 05:22
The part I find that is very sad is that Citroen had a car in 1973, the SM model with the Maserati V6, that had power steering that was only 2 turns lock to lock, can turn the wheel with your finger when parking and it self centered, when your speed increased, the rate of power to the steering decreased, at extreme speeds, their wasn't any power steering. Why is it that GM or any other manufacturer can't match that 30 years later. I won't even get into the suspension those cars had. :(

LA DMAX
10-27-2002, 15:27
hoot, this may be of some help. Howe power steering products makes a performance power steering set up that includes a high volume pump, HD steering box, and some other goodies. It's the same system they use on trophy trucks that race the Baja 500 and 1000. It can be expensive at about $1200-1300 for a set up. Hope it helps.

LA DMAX

hoot
10-27-2002, 21:54
LA DMAX

Thanks. That is a bit pricey and a bit of work. Man I hate to dump that much money and time into something that GM should give us in the first place.

Alli-max
10-27-2002, 22:37
Have you tried calling NAPA Hoot?? They might could steer you in the right direction (pun intended). I dont know who makes our pump (delphi??), but I agree it is crap. Pullinpowers went out last Tuesday night when he and I were doing some light off roading (going about 10 mph, but was in a rut with right full lock and speedo said ~40). I KNOW that is stressful on the system, but it still should have not FAILED.

LA DMAX
10-28-2002, 19:55
hoot, I agree, that is a big hunk of change that we shouldn't need to put into our trucks to make them run like real HD trucks should. Seems that GM has been having some sort of steering issues for the past several years or so. Wonder when they will reach into their deep pockets and actually do some R&D to improve this setup. Gee, I must be dreaming or something to make a comment like that. Wonder if the Super Duty or Dodge have that issue?

Later

LA DMAX

sk
10-29-2002, 13:17
What you guys are referring to is called "Static Steer". If the truck is too hard to turn while sitting still it means the system is underdesigned for the static steer rating. The pump could be too small, or not have enough flow, or the steering gear could just be too small for the load (known as "output torque"). Also, with GM's HydraBoost system there is hydraulic fluid "stolen" from the steering system when the brake pedal is depressed (basically the brakes and the steering system use the same fluid and it is split at the pump.)

Either way the chassis engineers at GM should have addressed this. The system should be designed to handle the additional load. FWIW -- GM doesn't design it's own steering gears (non of the big manufacturers do, except M-B), however the chassis engineers are responsible for specifying what size gear to use. Performance like that is unacceptable.

Scott

hoot
10-29-2002, 14:02
From my experience, Ford and Dodge never seemed to have this problem. Except I had an 84 F150 that had such a powerful system, you couldn't feel anything. But you could turn the wheels sitting still with your pinky.

I don't understand how GM can ship a vehicle that doesn't steer.

Burner
10-29-2002, 23:13
I thouhgt that Dodge made all the slush boxes for the big three. -- Let me tell ya fellas, the Ford almost killed me with brake and steering problems! In a 2001 PS the brakes and steering wheel may not be used at the same time @ or below 700 RPM. My brakes "had a mind of their own" and would make me dart right or left during hard braking. Try going 25 and hitting, not sliding, the brakes and turning the wheel, HAH ! :rolleyes: You'll go "that'uh way" :D Quick!

Hey, That was one of my big reasons for selling the dang thing! I know that the power steering is week but it works for years, doesn't wine, is easy to replace and smooth. Yes, it could be much better. However, I'll take "controled pannnnnic steering and braking" over "mud tension toughness" anytime.

sk
10-30-2002, 12:17
Burner said:

I thouhgt that Dodge made all the slush boxes for the big three.

Actually, most of the automotive market uses TRW gears. I believe GM still uses Saginaw, which is now owned by Delphi. If anyone is interested in the "nitty-gritty" you can look here: http://www.delphi.com/automotive/handling/steering/ The 2500HD and 3500 use recirculating ball gears; the 1500, 2500, and 1500HD use rack and pinion gears.

Scott

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: sk ]</p>

hoot
10-30-2002, 16:25
You will notice you cannot steer when hard on the brakes in our trucks either. The hydroboost steals all the pressure.

If you think about it, in an emergency situation your antilock brakes will keep you from locking up so you can still steer. Good luck.

Burner
10-30-2002, 21:52
Hey Hoot,

Not to be rude. smile.gif Yes, you are correct in your statement about our tucks. However, you must find a PS and try it! If you think that these GM's don't work, you'll need huggie's in the ford. Just try it........

:eek: Be careful :eek:

Burner

hoot
10-30-2002, 22:04
So is a consensus building here that the Fords are even worse?

carco
11-03-2002, 18:31
There was a thread sometime back on TDR about gear boxes comeing apart on Dodge Cummins 2500and 3500. These were built by GM or Delphi. Lot of complaining and replacements from the aftermarket. bob

Me4OSU
11-03-2002, 20:47
I had the same experience as "Burner" with my '99 Dodge 4x4 Diesel. The thing had a mind of its own and would dart either way when hitting the brakes, you never knew where it would go. Dodges steering setup is pretty mickey mouse for as heavy of a pickup as the thing is in front. Had one steering box replaced under warranty (helped for maybe 500 miles) and track bars put in. Thats the only reason I got rid of it, it was a great pickup other than the front end, that and it was so dang heavy.

The theory was on the "Turbo-Diesel" website, where it seemed everyone had steering problems was to get a Delphi at all possible and not the Saginaw. I haven't heard really good things about Ford either. I think they need to go to a medium truck box and components!

WayCoolKennel
02-10-2003, 10:37
I can tell you this... I got rid of my PSD for a lot of reasons.. the biggest was the steering !!

The PSD is no better afa braking and turning IMO.. less you don't mind a load in your shorts !!! Not to mention the steering has so much play and wanders like crazy... my 99 did this from the day I bought it...

I like the way my DMAX steers... I DON'T like that my power steering is OUT at 23k miles !!

FWIW, mine went out EXACTLY the same way PullinPower's did, as described by AlliMax !! I mean EXACTLY... I was in some ruts in the snow.. and I was trying to jump out of the ruts (5-10mph) to avoid a small ditch when POOF ! No more power steering or brakes...

Not fun...

FWIW,

--Steve

oyazi
02-10-2003, 11:31
Just scope out the NHSTA site on the Ford steering/braking complaints/issues. Some, are borderline emotional.