PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fog lamps WHAT NOT TO DO

mackin
03-31-2002, 13:57
Well, all I can say is I was warned........NOW YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, and I got visual proof.

Took a look at my 50 watt upgrade on my so called "fog lights" and the BIG meltdown occurred.... Take a look at my picture trail if you want to see the damage. Let me say I really don't care because prior to this they were as worth less at TEATS on a bull and now they look the part. So it serves them right to be involved in a melt down. You may ask yourself why did he put them back on? Well, the testing has now just begun. Going to see if the will hold up without the reflectors in place. If the hold out I will get another pair and get in there without drilling a big'ol hole in them. Going to try anyway. I Got some ideas....... Involves a big 'ol hammer and some glue. LOL
MAC :D :D

mdrag
03-31-2002, 14:55
The PS fog could make a good cold air inlet for the airbox.... :D

Silver Bullet
03-31-2002, 19:40
Thanks Mackin. I just put my 50 watters in last night, but I think I will pull 'em out and swap for some 37 or 38 watt bulbs.

mackin
03-31-2002, 19:49
Silver Bullet ,

YOU THINK LOL
or not use them........

MAC :D :D :D

brs
04-02-2002, 16:51
I noticed the difference in these bulbs being, The stock bulb had like a reflector end in the bulb, and the 50watt was just like a regular end. Is it possible this is causing the excessive heat toward the reflector. Maybe we need to find a bulb simular in design to the original. I have not seen the 37 watt bulbs, Does anyone know if this bulb is designed like the original.

NJDMAX
04-02-2002, 19:53
I looked at the 50 watt and the 37 watt bulbs they are the same(clear tip)at My local auto parts store.

Silver Bullet
04-02-2002, 20:16
Just got back from Autozone and traded my 50 watters w/ the clear tip for 38 watters with a "reflector end" just like the factory bulb.

I'll put 'em in later and see if I have a Mackin meltdown!!! :D

D'Oh!!! :eek:

FYI...the bulbs are Sylvania 893 (<<-- on edit)

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

mackin
04-02-2002, 20:45
Silver Bullet,

Good one.... smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
I'm only trying to contribute. Somebody had to do it.........
I'm still testing may be more updates.? Remember get out of the truck bend over and physically look at them when their off. I never knew I had a problem. They still shined brighter then stock all melted. OUCH :D :D :D

DaveRuane
04-03-2002, 10:43
Ouch, I just installed 50W as well. Better get them outta there! Please keep the testing going and responses on how to get brighter fogs - the 50W are great intensity but I don't want to have a meltdown! Mackin were you runnning them often?

Buck
04-03-2002, 13:00
I replaced my bulbs with 37 watt Wagner bulbs from Farm & Fleet. They have the reflector end. P# 899 (Fog and Driving)

mackin
04-03-2002, 17:38
DaveRuane,

Yup and proudly.........Look at those babies so nice and "BRIGHT" Oh YA !!!!!!!!!!!
:eek: :eek:
I don't understand this built in on reflector thing that comes with the bulb. There is a (or was) a reflector in my fog lamp bucket. That is what got hot dropped and melted. It was attached to the top of light bucket. On the reflector:
Is it a metal "shield" on bulb? Or is the bulb tip blackened?
MAC :D

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

DaveRuane
04-05-2002, 10:19
I see the metal reflector inside my fog light housing. No meltdown noted from using my 50-watters but I'll probably replace them with 37-watters.

I think the reflector end that is part of the bulb is the shaded gray tip - present on the stock bulbs but not on the 50-watters. Don't know what this thing does - whether it affects the light pattern or changes heat issue.

ARE THERE OTHER OPTIONS??

What about removing the internal reflector piece?

mackin
04-06-2002, 21:51
DaveRuane

Did you look at my pics of the melt down? Take a look you'll change your mind.Do not run the 50 watt bulbs unless you want to buy new ones. To get the reflector out you would have to cut the light bucket open .They are sealed shut. I'm still testing. Doesn't look good. The plastic just not going to cut it with 50 watts. I was out this evening on a 30 min ride at highway 70 plus speeds, about 30 degrees outside temps.When I pulled in to park shut off fog lamps ,and when I got in front of my truck reached down and touched the plastic lens it was kinda warm. I'm thinking I'm going to get new buckets and run the 37 watt bulbs.
MAC :D