PDA

View Full Version : didn't last till tuesday- she's a dead duck...with??.

MudNurI
10-26-2002, 18:51
well I had said in previous posts that my trucks never left me stranded- well, it's dead....in my yard....

Goes in on Tuesday for the NSBU- didn't make it to even drive it to the dealership...John drove it to the store today- came home- end of story, backs up a little- but thats about it. Didn't even want to go in Park..

It got me thinking- A few weeks ago, when you put the truck in Park, it acted like it was slamming from Drive to Park- truck still felt as though it wanted to GO...made a CLUNK...but didn't do it every time you parked...we ignored it, hoping it would go away- could this have had anything to do with the NSBU? I wonder.

Now- here's my question- GM Roadside Assistance is only good for 3yr/36K-- which means, I obviously have to pay for the tow Tuesady- since we're over 40K...

BUT is my Alli still covered? If it's not the NSBU, and it's something else, is this an outta pocket type for me??? I remember the discussions on here about the different Duramax warranty some years have, but I didn't really pay attention to ours, repair payments come out of the company checkbook, not mine...oh well, I needed to fix the brakes on my K5 anyway- and this is the excuse I needed!

Brandy

Paintdude
10-26-2002, 18:58
I would go to the Allison site and find a allison dealer close to you and tow it there if it is out of warrenty..

Just an idea, when Gm gets 12 bucks for a trans filter and allison charges 6-7 bucks..My guess would be the total repair bill would be much less..

Maverick
10-26-2002, 23:17
An Allison dealer can't warranty anything if thats your goal. This switch is a GM thing and not an Allison thing anyway. I did get the updated switch (29540479) for mine today. I got 2 different list prices from 2 different dealers. One said $150 and the other $135......got it from my dealer for $105. The old switch was $40 bucks. Will install it tomorrow. The shield is a 5 cent piece of plastic. I hope the guts are improved over the old one as it looks the same and is tan in color instead of black.

Oh ya.....you gotta pay unless you have an extended warranty. Its over 36K.

[ 10-26-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

pinehill
10-27-2002, 10:59
Maverick,

I seem to recall from previous posts (Steve O?) that Allison DOES stock the NSBU switches. If that's the case, I'd rather take an out-of-warranty Allison equipped vehicle to an Allison dealer for switch replacement.

car of the week
10-27-2002, 13:54
MudNurI--

if you have a good repore with your service department, see what they can do about "goodwilling" the fix. Gm does this from time to time if you really b!tch at them. you are not too far out of warranty so you may have a chance. Good Luck.

Ryan

Maverick
10-27-2002, 20:43
Well I changed my switch out and it was a piece of cake. Two 13mm bolts and a nut and 2 electical plugs. This shield may help, who knows.

thechevyhdman
10-28-2002, 15:34
Allison DOES stock the nuetral saftey switch, And why... because they had a nationwide recall on them a few months back. Seems that Allison is more geared to keeping customers, then GM is on making money. Our town hires private contractors for school bus accounts, My father being one of them hence the school bus below. His wasnt recalled but 5 of em in this town was. Seems that all the problems that plauge the buses plauge our trucks too, especially the 2-1 downshift.