PDA

View Full Version : Installing 5th wheel socket

bickford
01-08-2002, 09:51
I've ordered a 2002 3500 with the UY2 Camper Provisions for a 5th wheel, and I'm curious what it will come with, where the wire tap in point is, etc.

I want a 7 way plug just forward of the wheel well on the driver side. My Chevy order indicates it comes with a 7-way sealed connector, but I haven't seen one sticking into the bed on the dealer trucks with this option. What do I need to finish the install?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joel

Thanks,
Joel

carnut
01-08-2002, 09:58
The plug they talk about is in the back by the hitch. The camper wires are under the front drivers side of the bed. The factory does not put a plug in the bed, that's up to you.

Richard Pelletier
01-08-2002, 09:58
Joel, The tap is under the bed and tied. I had my 5th wheel flush plug installed between the bed wall and the outer wall. Works and looks great.

Richard

------------------
1990 2500 Silverado,6.2,LB
Banks exhaust and turbo.
2002 Silverado 2500HD,CC,
LB,4x4,D/A TWD,9-03-01, picked up 9/13/01
LINE-X over the rails
RETRAX Roll Top Cover
DTA Stainless Steel Tapered Running Boards
http://www.PictureTrail.com/richardpelletier
Virginia Tag ( 1LKARCK )
1likearock@home.com

crafty
01-08-2002, 10:34
I also had the wiring inserted up between the two box panels and then brought it out of the hole just below the front stake pocket. I have the short box so I mounted the plug right there so there is no wires to get in the way. I have a pic showing the plug on my accessories page from the link below.

------------------
<A HREF="http://photos.yahoo.com/thecrafty007" TARGET=_blank>
http://photos.yahoo.com/thecrafty007

</A>2001 GMC 2500HD Ext cab SB Dmax 6 speed
86 6.2D
79 5.7D
W.G.C.
Ontario Plate "DMAX DSL"

Turbo Al
01-08-2002, 10:38
Joel: The paperwork on mine also stated two waterproof connections and the truck only came with one (very misleading advertising). You know this in advance now, point it out to the Dealer you should get a "Free" install of the connection. The wires were stuck between the bed and box on the ext cab.

DeanysDiesel
01-08-2002, 11:57
bickford,

I have a 3500 also and the wire for the UY2 feature is taped in a bundle on the driver side frame at the junction between the bed and the cab. You should be able to look down between these items and see the bundle.

I went to a trailer 'store' and had them extend the cable and mount the new socket inside the bed just infront of the drive side wheel well but behind the formed channel for the cross bed divider (ie., 2x8 across the bed). This puts the connector infront of a 5th wheel or gooseneck ball. It can also be reached easily (I have bed section running boards)to connect the trailer brake cable.

Any good trailer store that wires connections should be able to do this inside of an hour. GM was kind to make the cable color codes on this stub match the trailer industry standards so the installer should see exactly what he expects.

------------------
Chevy Silverado LT 3500 CC LB D/A, Forest Green & Tan
Tekonsa Prodigy, Line-X, DTA cab & bed boards,
TF Fast-Fill-Fuel Adaper, Highway Products 5th Wheel Box
29' Cameo TT 7200# UVW

bickford
01-09-2002, 09:21
RV stores sell a 7 way plug with an attached 4' or 7' cord. This seems like a good way to go since I've found it's hard to get all of the wires reliably connected. It sounds like a 4' cord will work to mount it just forward of the wheel well on the driver side, but the extra length of a 7' might be safer.

I found a socket on the web page http://www.rvshop.com with the description "7-WAY SOCKET W/CORD by Bargman."

Regards,
Joel

DeanysDiesel
01-09-2002, 11:36
bickford,

When the tralier 'store' put mine on they used a 3 foot extension and they have about 20 inches cable tied under the fender. The extra length actually allows you to pull the socket out into the bed area to work on it if needed.

------------------
Chevy Silverado LT 3500 CC LB D/A, Forest Green & Tan
Tekonsa Prodigy, Line-X, DTA cab & bed boards,
TF Fast-Fill-Fuel Adaper, Highway Products 5th Wheel Box
29' Cameo TT 7200# UVW

ryeguy
01-09-2002, 12:13
Extensions to the basic GM harness? When we put my 7 prong connector into the box (driver's side, in front of the rear axle just behind the filler tube, inside of box), there was ample wiring in the stock harness. We cut off a couple feet and still had a foot or so to tie up.

--Rob

4x4man
01-10-2002, 13:18
Question-
I did not get the factory camping wire provisions, but do have the tow package, so I have the plug at the rear of the truck. As it turns out I will be pulling my parents 5er this summer and want to put a plug in the bed as opposed to running it over the edge of the bed and into the rear plug.

Is there a part number for this harness or will I have to splice into the existing wires to mount a plug in the bed??
Thanks all!

Bob

------------------
2001 2500HD 4x4 EC LT 8.1L/Allison 1000 Series, 4.10 gears with Eaton Locker

Current additions:
Line-X Bedliner
3M Clear Bra
Westin CPS Nerf Bars

My Truck (http://www.picturetrail.com/4x4man)

AKDmax
09-19-2002, 15:12
Is there any information on whether or not the 5th wheel harness is "plug-n-play" or do you have to splice it in if you didn't get the option? Part numbers would be helpfull if it's available...

xcpolaris
09-19-2002, 16:16
The neatest way to mount the 7-way plug
is to use a 2" hole saw and cut a hole
ahead or behind the wheel well and mount the plug
flush . I am an RV dealer and this is how we do it all the time . This way there are no wire's
exposed. there is enough wire on the GM
harness to come ahead of the wheel well
you may have to add on to reach the rear

03 chev 2500HD D/A ext cab sb lt 4X4
victory red ,265 BFG TA's bully bar's
duramaximizer
92 3500 6.5 4X4
02 600XC SP
99 550 super sport
99 trail RMK
01 400 sportsman 4X4
02 Grand Prix GTP-Wife's

4x4man
09-20-2002, 08:14
AKDmax-

We ended up buying our 5er early. The dealer did the install and they spliced into the harness that runs along the drivers side frame for the plug in the bed. I have not looked close enough, but I am sure they took the easy way out and used those useless scotch lock type connectors. I am sure I will need to make a more permanant connection (solder)....
I can take pics if you need.

Bob

AbqGeorge
09-20-2002, 18:38
AKDmax, 4x4man;

Sorry, no plug and play. You have to tap into the wiring harness. The suggestion for 2" hole saw is a good one. Be careful how high up you put the socket. I almost couldn't reach the top screws to get a nut on the backside. There's a nice flat spot at about the two o'clock position in front of the wheel well that works great.

I don't know about other folks, but I've had a terrible time with getting moisture in that Bargman 7 pin connector and then having the wires corrode. This time, I completely filled the back of the connector with silicone caulk. Since I'm selling that truck (see sig), I'll have to have the new owner(s) send me a report??

Maverick
09-21-2002, 02:16
AKDmax,

Its a plug and play!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no spare tire with the new wheels so I take some pics for ya and send them to you. I was looking hard at this the other day. There is a seperate harness that runs from the back of the truck to the front of the box. The camper and trailer plug are one of the same...run on the same fuses.

AKDmax
09-21-2002, 13:01
Thanks Maverick,
I have the 5th wheel harness. It's pretty nice today so I am going to take a look at it. A co-worker bought a used D/A the other day, and needs to wire it for a cab over. We have three in the same parking lot at work now. Plus an 8.1 gasser (we make him park in the corner!!)

SHOPMAN426
09-22-2002, 11:37
Maverick is dead on. I was wondering when someone was going to get under their truck and trace the harness back to the rear plug. I reworked the direction of the camper/5ver tail right up to the location infront of the wheel well. Had plenty of slack. You guys that are having extra tails added at the RV shops maybe paying for nothing. This is not a slam on RV shops, but around here you need to look after number one.

SHOPMAN426,

Mike.

;) ;) ;)

AbqGeorge
09-22-2002, 18:47
Should have clarified what I said a little better. My truck, too, came with the UY2 FW wiring provisions. That harness disappears above the frame right behind the cab. Is there some sort of connector located where the UY2 connects? I don't know? My response was based upon going down to Pep Boys and finding the equivalent of a UY2 option hanging on a peg board with all those other "plug and play" connecting systems.

Sorry 'bout that.

4x4man
09-23-2002, 06:56
My truck did not have the fifth wheel wiring provision option UY2. I found, from somewhere, a part number for that harness, but could not verify it was the correct one. At the time it was almost $60, dealer install was free, so I was out nothing, except a poor hitch install in the bed (which I corrected later).
The part number I found for the harness is:

Like I said, I was unable to verify it was the same harness that is included with UY2 option.

Bob

c5dura
09-23-2002, 08:15
So is there a connector in the vicinity of the spare tire where the UY2 harness plugs into?

Asked another way, does the UY2 harness (15072794?) come with a connector on one end that plugs into the truck somewhere?

gpsalazar4
09-23-2002, 13:56
I called GM parts to verify that part number 15072794 was the UY2 option. They told me that this harness is the UY2 option; however, it has to be run back to the electrical center under the hood.

AKDmax
09-23-2002, 15:21
Not sure why it would have to go back to the power dist. under the hood. All it does is loop back to the front of the box for the 5ver. All the wiring should already be at the back of the truck if you have the trailer package (Z82) but not the UY2 option. The Z82 package is required in order to get the UY2 according to GM's site. I will look at his truck tonight and see whats up. The harness is 50 bucks at partsdirect. It was only 30 to order it with the truck.

gpsalazar4
09-23-2002, 21:23
Just to clarify the UY2 option, when I called GM parts they told me that part #15072794 is the correct harness for the UY2 option. The catch is this harness (UY2) is the entire harness that replaces the original(non UY2 option) harness that plugs in at the rear bumper 7 way plug. Therefore, one has to remove the old harness since it does not have plug and play connectors to add to and route the UY2 option to electrical center under the hood since the UY2 has the a pig tail for the 5th wheel connection in the bed and one to the rear bumper. I verified this on another vehicle today that has the UY2 option.My truck does not have the UY2 option and there is no way to add the wiring unless I replace the original with part #15072794 or splice the original harness.

Maverick
09-23-2002, 22:51
To install the UY2 harness to a truck that has the Z82 you have to unplug the rear receptacle and plug in the new harness. This harness is in a "Y" configuation. One end goes to the plug you unhooked from the back. Another end goes to the rear receptacle and the last end goes to the front of the box. I have put up a pic here so you look at it.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=941414&uid=437876

AKDmax
09-23-2002, 23:41
You got it Maverick. I looked at my harness tonight and found a number, it was 2794. GM may have shortened the number because 1507 is a standard number for the harnesses???. Add it together and you have the 50 dollar 15072794 harness. It's just like you said, a y connector that's plugged into the Z82 harness. No connector on the 5th wheel end, that should be easy to add... I think he's going to order one.

gpsalazar4
09-26-2002, 17:06
I went to Santa Fe Chevrolet to look at part # 15072794 and it is the UY2 harness. It plugs in to the existing harness T's off to the bumper and to the bed. Santa Fe Chevrolet wanted $87.61 for the harness, and they would not lower the price to match gmpartsdirect.

AKDmax
11-14-2002, 00:51
Took a while for him to get it, but here are some pics of the plug-and-play harness. Even includes the plastic push thingys for the frame.
http://www.pbase.com/akdmax/5th_wheel_harness

srubrn
11-14-2002, 21:33
Gentlemen,

Save your money on those extensions. The 5th wheel wiring provision is wired from the back of the truck and whineds it's way to the spot where GM hangs it for you. I put my connector behind the wheel well and all I had to do was pull the wiring harness back out to that point. No big deal.

AKDmax
11-14-2002, 23:35
srubrn,
This is to help those folks that purchased the Z82 but didn't get the UY2 option with their vehicles. Don't waste your time splicing into wires under your truck when you can install the 5th wheel UY2 harness and put your plug where you really need it. If I misread your post, I apologize . ;)

srubrn
11-15-2002, 07:07
AKDmax,

This topic started off with those who had the 5th wheel wiring provison and then changed to those were wanting to add it.

I was talking to those who had it and were putting extensions on it.

IndigoDually
11-15-2002, 08:27
I had said in my earlier post I used an extension with a molded socket on the end so it would not corode as easily, this has proved to be in vain now since the other day when I was in a hurry to swap trailers I pulled out from under one of them without unplugging it. Now I have to replace the socket, so much for the sealed one.

John