PDA

View Full Version : DUALLY conversion

y2khardtop
06-01-2002, 10:38
Has anybody done a permanent/temp conversion for towing. My 2500 has ample towing ability, but I am nearing/exceeding the rear axle load, and really don't want a new truck. The conversion wheels are easy, but haven't run across any dually fenders for the new trucks.

The drivetrain is capable, but worried about blowing tires.

Dave

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: y2khardtop ]</p>

IndigoDually
06-01-2002, 16:28
I would try the dealer for fenders. The dually uses the same bed that you already have with a one piece quarter panel/ dually fender. These just bolt on and I believe that there would not be too much more alterations than adding aftermarket fenders. The factory fenders are a composite material that resists dents, dings, etc. Unlike the fenders on my '97 that were very stone bruised and spider webbed from gravel thrown up from the tires.

You can also try Arrowcraft Products (www.arrowcraft.com). I have not ever dealt with them, I have just seen their ad in Trailer Life magazine.

John

mackin
06-01-2002, 17:00
y2khardtop,

Well, here is a tid bit .Last weekend I was traveling thru MONROE CT ......... And low and behold there was a White complete bed of a brand spanking new 3500 4x4 setting in a guys front yard ....... I said to my wife, I should stop and check it out someone might be interested, she said "WHO," get going we are late .... See, I told her, I showed her this too for next time .... I thought I would go back on the way home but it was late ....... So if you are interested, I'll drive back out tomorrow and see ....... It would be a hell of a ride to get it but, would be better then shipping it ......So let me know it's about a half hour away for me and my JUICER....... That is another place to check, outfits that due dump conversion and flatbed, wrecker conversions .....

That, some spacers 6 dually rims .. Your there ........

MAC smile.gif

IndigoDually,

Thats anouther thing about spacers ... You ever see them stock spacers up front to run a dually rim dish in ? ....... About 7" long ....... Bolted 8 times .. Nut and bolt no studs ....... So I wonder why the are shunned against out back?

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Timberline
06-01-2002, 17:45
You might look up one of those places that make and install utility beds on trucks. I have one about 50 miles from me and he always has new complete bed take off's of every make and they usually have Duallie beds and Standard beds and 9 times out of 10 they are brand new. Just a thought.

JoeyD
06-01-2002, 18:41
I would have to say the axle is wider on a dually. Try bolting a bud wheel on your truck, I think it will hit the wheel well. Maybe they make an aftermarket spacer for this idea.

mackin
06-01-2002, 19:16
Joey D,

There is a big market believe it or not for doing this customizing project....Check out this link .........Make sure you check out the PICS ..........
==&gt;http://www.chromewheel.com/adaptors.htm

MAC :D

On edit: here is a sample price list of conversion no fenders tho ....
=&gt;PART NO.

NEW CHEVY ADAPTORS

PRICE

TEA-C01F

2001-CURRENT CHEVY (FRONT)

$325.00

TEA-C01R

2001-CURRENT CHEVY (REAR)

$439.50

TEA-C01Rkit

2001-CURRENT CHEVY REAR ONLY + 4 STEEL WHEELS

$649.50

TEA-C01Set

2001-CURRENT CHEVY (FRONT & REAR SET)

$680.00

TEA-C01Kit

2001-CURRENT CHEVY FRONT & REAR + 6 Steel Wheels

$1095.00

TEA-C01AL

UPGRADE ABOVE KIT TO HOTSHOT ALUMINUM WHEELS

+$595.00

TEA-C01SS

UPGRADE ABOVE KIT WITH STAINLESS SIMULATORS

+$150.00

ThePend
06-01-2002, 20:42
Fenders, do not a 1 ton make.

Lets not forget about the rear spring setup. much beefier, heavy duty. Im not sure if the front torsion bars are of the same spring rate. Oh, and lets not forget, the dually only comes as a long bed. Im sure there is other stuff to worry about with a conversion like that, but thats the meat and potatoes of it.

mackin
06-01-2002, 20:58
What is the GVW on a 2500 HD ........? The 3500 are a 11300 or 11400 ,, I don't feel like going to look ....... My truck scales 7500 ish net ......... Giving me roughly a 3000 LB payload ....... Give or take ....... Allthough the springs are of less value on a 2500 ... An additional set of wheels will increase capacity ...... A good set of commercial tires like I'm running will help too ..... Mine are rated at 3000 + per tire giving me over 12k load capacity ..... But you are right, fenders alone do not make a 1 ton ....... Got to do your homework ,,,,,,

MAC smile.gif

mackin
06-02-2002, 16:18
y2khardtop,

Well if you are still interested, or you see this . I took a ride sure enough still there... Such a deal, if it was black, or my truck was white, it would be at my house now ....... The guy took it off to swap on a utility body . It is complete minus the bumper ... He wants $900 bucks for it ........

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-02-2002, 16:38
^...That's an excelent deal on the bed. Better jump on it if ya' want a dually.

Mac... you scared of my RPM gadget??? LMAO...

mackin
06-02-2002, 18:00
NutNbutGMC ,

NAH !!!!!!!!! You'all can try getting past that extra wide A** on that truck in front of ya .......... I 'll just kick in that 5'TH "ACE" ,,,,You know I don't play fair ........ They name streets after me ...... ONE WAY ...........

MAC :D :D :D

NutNbutGMC
06-02-2002, 18:08
^...Mack Daddy, I hear ya !!! :D And everyone knows you play a shady game... Just like you said.. One Way... Or ----&gt; "Check-Valve Mac"......
:D :D

That was mighty nice of ya' to drive down and check on the dually bed... :cool: :cool:

mackin
06-02-2002, 18:27
NutNbutGMC ,

I'm still fighting myself not to go back and get it ....... I probably could sell it to a body shop for more ....... tongue.gif I want it for my self, insurance , insurance, I'll or no one will ever hit me because I have a spare ........ Just cannot figure out how to hide it from my OL'LADY ....... It's easy to hide those big tips and message therapy receipts .. Oh my aching back .......... tongue.gif tongue.gif

y2khardtop
06-05-2002, 11:09
I know the drivetrain is the same, but I agree about the rear springs. However, I towed my trailer with 1500 (!)lbs too much rear axle weight with no problems. Re re-arranged the trailer to get as much weight off of the tongue, but still were at least 500lbs too heavy for the remainding 1000miles, with no problems.

I have already found the wheels and adapters, but no one seems to have fenders yet available for the new trucks. I can fabricate something, but thought someone might have found something better.

Thanks!

mackin
06-05-2002, 13:58
y2khardtop,

After market fenders , will look just that .. The rear of the new dually are a molded composite material . No seams ....... It would be hard to beat that price on the complete bed .. Have you looked in your area?For one?
MAC

antig24
06-05-2002, 21:53
I have a question guys, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't y2khardtop's truck a short bed? If it is like I think it is, a normal dulie bed directly off of a 3500 wouldn't work because it would be a long bed and his truck is a short bed.
Billy

Mustfish
06-06-2002, 20:07
y2khardtop,
Last weeks issue of the Carolina Bargain trader had a dually bed for sell in it. It caught my eye while flipping through. If the book is still in my works breakroom I will see if it is our new body style.

Jim

ChaoticRacer
06-09-2002, 17:16
Why couldn't you take the new bedside and cut if down to fit a short bed? Little fiberglass work and you'll never know the difference. I'm considering doing that exact thing. 2500HD CC shortie, and converting to a permanent dually.

Ironhead
06-09-2002, 17:33
I seen a short bed dually in Fresno a few months ago. I assumed he had it cut down from a full size, as the fenders looked factory. It looked good though. It caught my eye right away. At first glance I just wondered what looked different before I realized it was a short bed.

ChaoticRacer
06-09-2002, 20:31
Well hell....LOL least he's on the wrong coast :D . No one on the east coast is allowed to do this conversion till I do. ;)