PDA

View Full Version : NSBU update- dealer 1 blamed it on #2 &bearing kit?

MudNurI
10-28-2002, 22:26
OHHHHH BOY!!!

John stopped at Dealer 1 to pick up the seatbelt clip for the rear seat today, spoke to our "personal service writer" (thats what they call them...) about our NSBU switch, the truck is in our yard, dead duck etc.. PSB (pretty stupid b******) tells John NO WAY is it the NSBU..John says, my brothers 8.1/A did the SAME thing last winter, while plowing, was the NSBU, can you get it in under warranty- were just over 40K, PSB tells John thats not the problem- here's what he says is the problem...

He ran our VIN through GM's computer for something?, and found out that dealer #2 had worked on the truck- dealer #2 did the hydroboost, fuel filter (limp mode) and the bearing kit install. PSB tells John

Well, your truck was fine last time we worked on it, when **** Motor's had your truck, they messed up the "linkage in your transmission when they did the bearing kit"...... YUP THATS EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID..

John calls me, tells me to get on TDP find out what the deal is, old part ## new part ##, bulletins (THAKNS TURBO AL FOR POSTING THIS)...John calls the Allison Dealer about 1 1/2 hours from his shop, tells him whats going on with the transmission- lost the gear indicator, now only have Reverse, and VERY screwy drive, wont go into park until you shut the truck off, etc.. Allison SALESMAN...tells John- Oh, thats the NSBU, $138.75 we have 15 of them in stock for that transmission. John asks WHY, salesman says well, we have had quite a few problems with them, redesiged it etc..which we knew.

John calls me back- I call dealer #3, closest to me, which is where the appt is for tomorrow- ask if he has the NSBU in stock, if not I'll wait to tow the truck down, service guy says- not without diagnosing the problem etc.. so I say, okay can I have parts....ask the parts guy- for the part give him the ##..he tells me, are you sure that's correct, I say- YUP, its the redesigned NSBU etc.. parts guy tells me no, he doesn't have it, but it's in Boston- can have it next day...okay I hang up, call John back.

Tell him dealer #3 doesnt have it, he goes back down to dealer #1

Tells the PSB, I am going to town up the truck myself tomorrow- I want the NSBU switch replaced, and I will not pay for it...it's that simple, if you have a problem with GM warrantying the repair- here is the Allison dealer's name and number, along with the bulletin # the old part # the new part # and every other revelent piece of info (love this website!)..

We will see what happens tomorrow...worst part about this, we are towing it up with his brothers cummins!

I wish just once I could find a dealership within 2 hours of me that actually cared about customer service...

I don't see what the big problem is, either I pay for the fix, or GM does, either way, they are getting paid, who cares who writes the check!

Brandy

Maverick
10-29-2002, 11:33
PSB......Thats a good one. Dealers???? Well I am way out of warranty so I had to change mine. If they do make you pay tell them I got my NSBU (new style w/shield) for $105. I would check to see if the shield is installed when you get it back. They may install the cheapo one and charge the new. It is a black piece of plastic between the NSBU and the arm with the cable attached. If you see a shaft between these points, there is no shield. The new part should be tan, the old was black.

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Turbo Al
10-30-2002, 10:14
You are welcome Brandy.
Maverick is the "New Style" being used as a replacement part or can you have the Dealer change out the "Old Style" under Warrenty??

Kennedy
10-30-2002, 11:36
From what I am told, Freightliner has an active campaign to replace these switches. Sounds like the commercial aspect is more abusive on the medium duty trucks.

Apparently "Professional Grade" is not as good as commercial grade :rolleyes:

Maverick
10-30-2002, 13:23
Turbo Al,

I had my parts guy pull both switches because I wanted to look at them both. Couldn't order just the shield and only comes part of the new switch. Asked for my application and said the old switch did not apply to my truck and the new one with the shield was the correct replacement. A different dealer installed the old switch on my truck in Jan while I was plowing this year. This must be a resent change not to use the old part # because they just did it 10 months ago. The new part # is the only one that is for our trucks now.

I don't know of any dealer willing to warranty a part that isn't broken yet. If you can let ME know. When it does break the new part# should be the only fix by GM.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

mdrag
10-30-2002, 14:33
Maverick,

Here is a link to the post by Big Al on the NSBU switch - old, new w/shield, and shield part #s are listed - likely Allison part #s. Big Al indicated that the SHIELD would not work on the old switches though.

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002632&p=

mdrag

MudNurI
10-30-2002, 15:17
*******Apparently "Professional Grade" is not as good as commercial grade*********

mine's not even profesional grade- its a Chevy...

No update as of yet- the truck went in yesterday afternoon- on trailer...John called this morning to make sure they knew it was outside, and have the LOF done...will post later if he drove it home...

Brandy

Maverick
10-30-2002, 20:40
Mdrag,
Well by looking at both switches, one in each hand, I can't tell any difference between the two except color. The shield would work on the old style switch but you can't get it unless you order a new update switch anyway. If the old switch was $40 and the new is $105, as far as I can tell I just paid $65 dollars for a piece of plastic the size of a half dollar. I just hope the guts of the new switch are "Professional Grade" over the old one.

GM Smitty
10-31-2002, 18:01
When was the redesigned NSBU switch introduced. Are they (the new ones) installed on any 02's or 03's? Winter is almost here and I might want to get a spare before plowing begins.

Josh

Turbo Al
11-02-2002, 10:04
Thanks for the info Maverick, to this point this switch is the only part that has broken on my truck so I think I will just fork out the $$$ and buy the updated one and keep it in the glove box. On my first switch (factory one) the black cover developed a crack and then the wiring harness fell out.
Turbo Al

Maverick
11-02-2002, 11:58
Turbo Al,
I would go buy it at an Allison dealer. Mdrag just informed me he just bought one for half of what I paid. I thought it was a GM thing so I never bothered to check elsewhere. Live and learn.

Turbo Al
11-03-2002, 13:47
Thanks Maverick & Mdrag smile.gif

[ 11-03-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

mdrag
11-03-2002, 14:24
Turbo Al,

Your welcome.

I ordered the NSBU switch, a few Allison spin on filters, and an extra magnet for the spin on from my not so local Stewart & Stevenson, using the NSBU part number previously posted by Big Al:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002632&p=

NSBU switch with shield #29540479 @ $51.37 ea.
Allison spin on filter #29539579 @ $9.05 ea.
Allison filter magnet #29535617 @ $2.11 ea.

The Allison spin-on filters were $8.87 the last time...I feel the $51.37 is cheap insurance given the frequency of these switches going bad, with the old switch as a back-up spare - you know failures seem to happen at the worst possible time :eek:

I'll post after the install to confirm the part # for the new NSBU switch - and if I remember I'll take a pic of the switches.

mdrag