PDA

View Full Version : Replacing '96 Air Filter with later stock unit

sturgeon-phish
06-22-2005, 16:03
I'm looking a getting a stock round filter setup for my '96, and I was wondering, if it is a direct swap, and is the benifit worth the effort?
Thanks
Jim

john8662
06-22-2005, 16:56
Yes, it's almost a direct swap in. Since you have a 96, your swap will be very easy, and a direct swap. The 92-95 models you have to build a small bracket to hold the resonator tube, but the 96's have this spot already.

What you'll do is find a complete airbox setup that will include the box, the box bracket and bolt (just one, you can re-use your bolts from the other box), the turbo boot that connects the turbo to the air cleaner elbow and finally the resonator tube. The resonator tube is nothing more than a 1.5" ID hollow plastic tube, and it is supposed to make the turbo whistle and intake noises less. You can do w/o the tube, but you'll have to fab up something to go in it's place, like using a freeze plug (although I'm a little leary of this idea).

It's really a good idea to make the swap, I really hated the old flat panel air box, I had to completly remove the box from the vehicle and install the new element to make sure it did seal properly. And even then I wasn't completly confident. With the round air filter you'll have a positive seal on the filter element, and it's a cinch to change.

markrinker
06-23-2005, 13:50
Are you planning to run a K&N style oiled cloth filter in place of the OEM paper one? Then you are really cookin' with gas...er...diesel...

damork
06-23-2005, 17:53
I just upgraded mine. I ended up with 2 rubber elbows to the turbo intake so have an extra, but the long plastic tube is not attached, it could work without the long tube if some kind of plug is put in the hole. I'd sell it if interested.

The box itself I found through www.car-parts.com. (http://www.car-parts.com.) Part looks like new, but had to buy the hard tube to connect the filter to the rubber elbow. Also needed to buy the bracket the filter box attaches to which bolts to the fender. The salvage yards don't seem to have the bracket on hand, and GM had mine on backorder for a while. Once in place the fit is much better than the 95 box. I learned not to use the HD filter as they do not fit well in the box - just the standard filter works well.

garre1tt
06-27-2005, 21:02
Jim,
I have a complete stock system that I took off of a 97 that I will give up very cheap. Even has an air cleaner with only a couple of hundred miles of town driving on it. Have to move in the next six months so I was thinking of tossing it.

Michael D

[ 06-29-2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Michael D. ]

roger s.
06-30-2005, 05:11
Michael D. i would be interested in that set up if no-one else is. thanks Roger

sturgeon-phish
07-13-2005, 16:44
Got the 97 air box and a Two Stage Amsoil air filter installed this evening. Piece of cake. Much easier than the pre-97 set-up. Took it for a spin and seems to spool up faster, time will tell about an increase in MPG and or power. Saving up $$ for an exhaust now! Anybody was to buy a 96 airbox with an Amsoil TS-83 and contribute to my exhaust fund? The flter retails for $47.85 and has less than 20,000 miles on it. Anyone interested email me at jmsturgeon@adelphia.net.
Thanks for the advice!!!
Jim

Scooby
07-14-2005, 09:12
I got the Performance Air Induction kit from SS Diesel- 99.00 . I havve been very happy with it. I also got the foam overwrap, and filter minder gauge. It's nice to know when you start getting restriction.

sturgeon-phish
07-14-2005, 17:54
I re-read my post an I wasn't clear about selling the filter. Any offers is what I tried to say.