PDA

View Full Version : Fast Idle

Onebigcanuck
10-30-2002, 11:36
I've just left my dealer and they tell me they can install a switch and wire from GM that works off the Cruise Set Button to set 3 different idles.

Anybody know anything about this subject ??

By the way both Thermosates had lost the pins and had stuck open. (No Heat)

chuntag95
10-30-2002, 13:57
OBC,

See my ECM pin removal thread. It has lots of info on Fast Idle and a link to the GM upfitters bulliten that explains all. Don't know about the 03, but the 01 has 3 speeds, the 02 has 2.

Chris

Onebigcanuck
10-30-2002, 15:12
Thanks,

I printed page 11 & 12 and will got from there. Thanks again.

trout49
10-30-2002, 15:19
Onebigcanuck
Did that body side molding come standard on your 03?? I too have an 03 3500 white and mine didn't come with any molding. It sure needs something to break up all that white.

chuntag95
10-30-2002, 15:42
OBC,
If you do it yourself, I will tell you a few of my lessons learned. First, use 20 gauge wire or even 22 ga. The 18 makes it harder to get the pin in. Second, use an awl or something to poke a hole in the yellow rubber. Third, remove the blue cover to get the pin it. A little screwdriver will push the tab in on each end and it pops right off. I used my Swiss Army knife. Once you solder the pin on your wire (I would use black to blend in) trim the tabs off the pin or bend them over. If you don't the pin will not seat all the way. I took the TCM off to get to the ECM the first time. It makes moving the wires easier and also take off your ground on the drivers side first. Disconnect both batteries before you unplug anything. :eek: You can get the ECM turned without removing the TCM. The bolt in the top of the ECM C1 connector is 7 mm and the bolts that hold the cover to the TCM are 10 mm. Conveniently, those are also the 2 sizes you need to get the lower panel off the dash. 7 mm is for the 2 screws and the 10 mm is to loosen the parking brake handle assembly. Good luck and I hope you have one of the 45 min installs like 99% of the other people.

mdrag
10-30-2002, 17:32
Chris,

You should remove the CLEAR cover over the terminals, makes it much easier to get the terminal in position. I did not have to bend or remove any tabs from terminal to get them to seat properly. You should be able to remove a terminal easily as well.

chuntag95
10-30-2002, 19:38
Mdrag,

I couldn't get the pin in and had to trim them, but that was before I was removing the plasic clear blue cover, plus I used 18 gauge wire. You are probably right and I made a bad assumption. :( :rolleyes:

OBC,

Try it without trimming the tabs on the pins first as Mdrag stated. You can always cut them off later. :D

Maverick
10-30-2002, 20:27
Get the wire and the pin and go to the dealer. Slip one of the mechanics a few bucks to properly crimp the pin on the wire. The dealer has that fancy tool that bends those long tabs in place and makes the connection perfectly round so it just slips in the ECM connector. This is what I did. Twice for both trucks.

Onebigcanuck
10-31-2002, 13:10
Hey Trout 49, no the siding was put on by a guy who Details, he also did the graphics.

The moulding is a standard one used in the aftermarket.

FstTrack
11-03-2002, 21:56
I just installed High idle on mine works great just wish it had the 3rd setting like the 01' I unhooked both batteries removed plastic cover over computer and unbolted connector did not remove anything poked hole in liner removed blue cover, installed pin and back together maybe 10 minutes plus time to install switch.