PDA

View Full Version : Front torsion bars weak?

Diesel Dave
10-30-2002, 17:42
Just got back from a trip to my dealer to have front bars cranked-up. This is the 2nd time I have had this done. Last time was just over 8000 km's ago. At that time I was told factory clearance of the bump stops was about 1/8 "

So they cranked them up to give that clearance. Now the same thing. Flat down on the bump stops.
This time service writer tells me that the tech working on problem says the reason I have no clearance is because of snow / slush buildup on the frame. WHAT????? The truck was dry. I just came from home ( in heated shop ) on a freeway that was dry. I was told they would crank it up a bit but after this I would have to get a wheel alignment. Here's the ??? Is any one else having this trouble & if so what should I do.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Diesel Dave

mackey_62
10-31-2002, 06:55
GM IFS is weak!
Torsion bars are fine I'm sure.

Please remember at least half of what stealer tells you is BS or flat out lie.

I'm assuming they did this for free??
In that case you probably got the lot attendant/window washer who wasn't too busy that day.

To answer your question, No, no problems with mine. My suggestion is to do it yourself.

I personally did my own without an alignment. Spoke with local alignment shop, told me they have done alignments on others and is unnecessary as long as you don't go too far.

I went 4 turns on PS, had to go about 6 on DS to level. Planning on swapping tires soon, so I'm watching for wear/cupping on old tires. After about 2K miles no problems yet.

Also, 1/8" from bump stops don't seem like much.
Pers pref. how far you want to go, plow, looks etc..
Mine is about 9" from fender flare to tread of stock 245's.

Kennedy
10-31-2002, 10:43
I wouldn't worry about proximity to the CUSHIONS as the clearance isn't critical. I'd only be concerned with external ride height and leveling.

If you look ar Air Lift, they have a new IFS plow support helper that looks curiously like the OE cushions. My take on this is they are NOT bump stops (rubber) but actually a cellular foam type of support that acts much like an air spring.

http://www.airliftcompany.com/aircell.htm