PDA

View Full Version : Dead Key Fob

HDLD
10-30-2002, 19:14
Had my first oil change done tonight and when I went to enter the truck the key fob didn't work. Since this wasn't a dealer, I didn't bother talking to them about it - figured it wouldn't have gotten me any further. Just unlocked with the key.

Played with it when I got home but no luck. Tried the Driver #2 set and it works fine. Swapped batteries with no effect. No noticeable damage.

Any thoughts? Anyone had their's die?

chuntag95
10-30-2002, 20:43
Yes, I have one die almost immediately. One of the chips inside popped. Took it in and they got another remote and programmed it to my truck.

HDLD
10-30-2002, 20:54
OK, Thanks! Guess it's a trip to the dealer one of these days...

dcpdave
10-30-2002, 22:52
hdld,
the transmitter may have just lost it's synchronization, they do that sometimes. if it has, the panic button should still work, try it. if that's it, stand within a couple of feet of the truck, press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for about 7 seconds, you will hear the door locks cycle. when they cycle, the transmitter is re-synchronized. if that doesn't do it, when you take the truck in to the dealer, bring both transmitters, if they have to reprogram it, they will need to program both transmitters.
hope this helps,

HDLD
10-31-2002, 14:50
dcpdave, you ARE the MAN!

I didn't try the alarm, went straight for holding lock/unlock down at the same time. This did the trick!

Many thanks. This will save me a trip to my dealer. I had just setup an appointment before reading this. The gal wasn't sure what a key fob was...OH, the remote! Why didn't you say so!scary stuff...