PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going in for ECM / PCM updates

mtomac
10-30-2002, 20:24
I'm thinking about going in for ECM / PCM updates to correct code 0181 - Fuel Temp Sensor (from using block heater) and to get the 5th gear lockout if my truck doesn't already have it. It was built the week of March 18th (I was driving it March 22nd). When was the 5th gear lockout put in the programming? What exactly can the dealer reprogram for 265's? I know they can do the ABS, but what else? Also, would the dealer be able to detect that the Allison went limp once. (I didn't give the 125hp juice enough time to get along with the allison before going to the dragstrip, but they play together nicely now).

JimWilson
11-01-2002, 10:45
When the dealer reprograms for 265's it's the ABS and the speedo. I don't know of anything else that gets updated.

Failure codes are stored in the computer, so if he goes looking it will be there. If you want to kill the code(s) then unhook the battery for 1/2 an hour. That should erase it's stored memory.

SoMnDMAX
11-01-2002, 10:59
By all means, have the updates done.

Changing tire size by changing the ABS settings WILL NOT affect the speedometer readings. The speedometer is a separate entity, requiring programming that GM refuses to put out. :mad:

As for any stored codes that could be present, after 100 cycles or so, the codes will delete themselves. Most likely the dealer will not be able to tell that you went limp :eek: ....