PDA

View Full Version : Battery failure & GM warrantee - none!

GBurton
01-06-2003, 17:10
The Delco batteries in my truck do not meet the published specifications. I had the charging system and batteries checked by the dealer - no trouble found. That's right, the problem did not show up on the Tech-2 so it doesn't exist.

The batteries in our trucks have two ratings:
CCA (770 amps or something like that) and
RC (110 minutes). I have had problems with having a dead battery after the vehicle has not been used for a week or so. The dealer is blaming the problem on the extra electronic equipment that I have installed in my truck. Well I know how much current that equipment draws when it is shut off and it is not enough to cause my problems. I have more radios installed in my work vehicle and I have let it sit for weeks while I was on vacation. It starts right up without a problem.

Ok, lets see how the batteries meet the RC test. RC is defines as the number of minutes that a new battery at 80 deg F will provide 25 amps without the battery voltage going below 10.5 volts. Since there are two batteries the RC discharge current is double or 50 amps. The batteries lasted less than 22 minutes before the voltage dropped under 10.5 volts. Looks like this is only 20% of the rated capacity. FYI, I did the same test on my work vehicle and while it did not go for 110 minutes it was double what the Delco batteries did. Yes, it has two batteries, as it is also a diesel. Battery brand, just some private labeled parts house battery.

Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail contact person for someone at ACDelco who understands batteries and can help???

George
k7wwa@saber.REMOVE THIS.net

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: GBurton ]</p>

mackin
01-06-2003, 17:30
Battery - Testing and Replacement

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-03-003

Date: May, 2000

INFORMATION
Subject:
Battery Testing and Replacement

Models:
1997-2001 Passenger Cars and Trucks (Except 2001 Chevrolet Corvette)

This bulletin is being issued to provide additional information to Corporate Bulletin Number 99-06-03-012, issued December, 1999. It does not supersede that bulletin.

In a continuing effort to improve battery quality in our products, General Motors extensively monitors battery warranty claim information submitted by dealers. It has become apparent that although many dealers are following the procedures as listed in Corporate Bulletin Number 99-06-03-012, some dealers are not adhering to the stated policy. Proper information is critical to quality improvements. The following are several points regarding the testing procedure that are critical to providing correct information.
^ The correct CCA rating must be entered in the Midtronics tester.

^ The seven-digit Midtronics tester code is a critical piece of information. The procedure states that if the battery fails the "In Vehicle" test, the technician must disconnect the battery cables. (Do not remove the battery from the vehicle at this time.) Install the terminal adapters and re-test the battery using the tester's "Out of Vehicle" test. Replace the battery only if the second test shows a REPLACE BATTERY or BAD CELL result. The test code from the SECOND TEST must be entered in the comments section of the warranty claim.

Important :Failure to provide the Midtronics "Out of Vehicle" test code on the warranty claim may subject the claim to rejection.

^ Leaking batteries are to be claimed using failure code "6J" and do not require a Midtronics test code.

^ If a battery has leaked and has soaked the battery insulator blanket, a new blanket must be installed on the new battery.

Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 99-06-03-012 for the correct Cadillac Roadside Service claim procedures.

MAC

GBurton
01-06-2003, 18:45
mackin
Thanks, now I know the name of the test that GM will honor but that does not address my problem. That test does NOT address Reserve Capacity testing. My batteries are going dead because they will not meet that part of the specifications for the battery. The same information that I was provided by the dealerships part department. The test that you are refering to appears to be the only test that GM will honor but it does NOT properly test the battery. :mad: :mad: :mad:

George

JERMCK
01-06-2003, 20:40
This morning when I started my truck it sounded as if the batteries were weak. Looked at the batteries and both positive cables were severely corroded. Pulled the positive cable on the passenger side and noticed over half of the bolt is corroded away and the entire battery tray is corroded. Even the bolt holding the tray to the firewall is corroded. I then started to remove the positive cable on the other battery and the whole post fell out ot the battery. The tray on this side is severely corroded. This truck is only a year and a half old with 42,000 miles. What gives?

mackin
01-06-2003, 20:55
JERMCK

What gives??

GM gives you a new battery !!!!!!!

Copy paste the TSB above go to dealer and tell them you have a leaker....

Fix please !!!!!! Good luck .....

MAC

Kennedy
01-06-2003, 23:49
I've got all of my road vehicles (except the Dmax switched over to Optima gel filled batteries. One leak as mentioned above is just too much irreversible damage for me...

gardnerteam
01-07-2003, 07:21
I strongly agree with Kennedy. When I get a new vehicle, it immediately gets Optima batteries and the new vehicle battery gets sold in the local Nifty Nickel. I have then in everything including the D/Max, Sub, Audi, 57 Chev, dump trailer, transport trailer, tractor, and portable power plant. Have had one failure (57 Chev - sat 10 months with a draw - weakened it, but did not kill it) and the battery was replaced no charge. Optima has worked great for winching and for extended off road light use. Winching out of a Guatemala mud bog with the 15000 Warn and a thoroughly stuck D/A up to mid frame in mud was a breeze - the Optima's never gave a hint of slowing down after about 20 min of continuous pull. Very dependable.

Jelisfc
01-07-2003, 08:39
gardnerteam, it's off topic but I'm curious why you go south? I've been to Guatamala and Panama. Pretty country and nice people.

Definatley need good batteries for winching.

gardnerteam
01-07-2003, 09:48
It's warm, cheap, beautiful country and peoples, no phones, no war, no troubles, great food, and people live a simple uncomplicated life and allow me to join them. I also am VERY into Mayan ruins and exploration of the jungle.

letsgo
01-07-2003, 16:20
A couple of years ago the association of battery builders (or whatever) decided to change the battery ratings, what ultimatly happened was the battery physical size got smaller (some how they increased plate surface area) and the amperage hours increased enormously, but the wattage demand per. vehical remained the same.

The CAA (AAA) fought the change under misrepresentation but failed.

The batteries realy are not big enough BUT they work.

good luck

bryantch
01-07-2003, 17:56
Just out of curiousity, how are you guys that use optima batteries in the gm hd trucks (or any other vehicle for that matter) securing them? I put two in my 99 Superduty briefly but the passenger side batt has a cover that is also part of the intake air system and the optima wouldnt fit without alot of modification to the intake. I have them in both of my porsches and use rubber straps to hold them down (not overly pleased with this setup at the track). I have always wondered why some kind of adapter wasnt available for the bases of the optima to allow it to fit in a standard battery tray and be secured.

JERMCK
01-07-2003, 19:15
Took my batteries to the dealer today. No warranty since I have 42,000 miles. Could not believe they would not warranty the batteries based on time. Found a local alternator shop that had gel batteries with no label for $35.00 a piece.

txguppy
01-07-2003, 19:41
Just my 2 cents. Had an Optima in my 93 Z-71. Worked fine, for three years. Then cra%%ed-out. I did'nt get any more longevity from Optima than I got from Delco. I guess Heat gets them both down here in S. TX. FYI we had 180 days of temperatures over 90 in 2002.WHEW :( :(

On another note, I've got a good friend, who will remain annonymous, who is a Service Manager at a dealership of unnamed make. He even says Delco batteries have gone to pot in the last several years. So, who knows????????????? :(

txguppy