PDA

View Full Version : Owners of Duals???

DonG
01-06-2003, 17:55
Brand new owner of duals and I am wondering how best to check air pressure on the rear wheels.

GM has a 1.5 inch straight valve on the outer wheel on the inside of the wheel facing inward; and the same size valve on the outside of the inner wheel facing outward.

Are there tools designed to check and inflate these things easily? I know it is a silly question, but I have never had to face this before.

Thanks, Don :confused:

FirstDiesel
01-06-2003, 18:26
There are many "stick" type tire gauages that will attach to the stem from 2 sides. You use the outer connection for the out tire and then "hook" the inner tire stem with the inside unit and pull towards you. I also have a 2 sided filler with built in air gauge for my compressor.

Check the better auto parts stores or a truck stop.

JEBar
01-06-2003, 18:39
I rotate my 3500's tires every 5,000 miles (averaging about 3,000 per month that roughtly translates to every 6 weeks) and I adjust pressures at that time .... have found that I can arrange outer/inner tire so that the inner is a bit easier to reach, bought a flexible tester from an auto parts which was said to be used on 18 wheelers and have found it works reasonably well .... Jim

DonG
01-06-2003, 23:56
Thanks for the replies. I believe I have seen those long stick gauges with two heads, but never knew why they were used.

Time to visit an auto parts place.

Thanks, Don

01-07-2003, 05:30
Get the one that has a straight tip and a hooked back tip made by Milton.

DonG
01-07-2003, 19:33
I called two auto parts stores today to find the truckers type of air gauge.
Schuck's Auto parts had them for $6.30.
NAPA Auto Parts had them for $24.50. Seems like
a large difference to me. Did not get a chance to stop by yet, and I did not ask who made them. I will find out when I visit the stores. Thanks 1822.

Don