PDA

View Full Version : 25K Service - Pat On The Diesel Page's Back

woundedbear
01-07-2003, 12:30
Just felt a need to thank everyone here that makes The Diesel Page the informative site that it is!

This past weekend, I got together with my uncle who has the same truck as me, except the extended cab, longbox configuration, to perform 25K preventative maintenance services. Although informing my uncle of this site when we purchased our trucks over a year ago, he never took the time to visit and obviously wasn't convinced of the benefit.

After our tasks were efficiently completed without the usual "surprises" and delays, let's just say that he thought that I worked as a GM tech on the side. Our tasks included the following:

Allison "pump and feed" ATF change - Both performed complete ATF changeout. I replaced the Dexron-III with Amsoil ATF, my uncle with fresh Dexron-III. Drained pan, replaced external filters (while remembering to reuse magnet) with filters I purchased at Allison shop for less than $9 each (uncle was going to purchase at dealer), added ATF, pulled "from cooler" line without anything but a flathead screwdriver :cool: , attached via interference fit 3/4" I.D. clear hose over line fitting, and "pumped and fed" in 1 gallon intervals until all old ATF was removed from system, reassembled line, cycled through gears, then checked cold ATF levels. Smooth as silk...solely due to everyone's input here!

On a side note...regarding the ATF change, we noticed something that maybe someone here can make some sense of, or at least express similar experiences. My ATF was at operating temperature and my uncles was not, since we did all of this in his garage. When we drained his, it looked almost new (clear and deep red). When I drained mine, it was more opaque and had an almost brown tint to it. Both smelled sweet and not burned. Driving habits and mileage, for all intensive purposes, the exact same. :confused:

Because of the differences in the look of my old ATF and new ATF, I was very easily able to view through the clear hose when all of the old ATF was pumped out of the system. I have read here that a complete replace of ATF needed anywhere from 13 to 22 quarts. Mine needed 14-15 quarts.

Engine oil change - I was not due, but my uncle was. I noticed a Fram filter on the work bench that he had purchased due to the high dealer price and changed his mind in a hurry to use one of my GM filters purchased at a discounted rate from gmpartsdirect.com.

Rear diff. oil change - My second (first at ~1K), his first (I told him so!) Ahead of time, told him to have a 15mm wrench, 3/8" socket drive and tube to connect to his gear oil bottle to have the ability to get all of oil out of the bottle because of interference with the spare. He used Mobil 1 and I used Amsoil Series 2000 instead of the overly expensive GM grape juice. Based off of the information from Eaton on this site, felt very comfortable with our decision, too.

Cabin filter change - You guys are too much! You made this one too easy! Bought filters at Napa with Wix on the box. Made sure not to remove screw by the center hump, just loosen. Also just loosened the single screw on the retaining L-bracket.

Tire rotation - Nothing revolutionary here, but was ready with a sledge hammer in hand to remove the rear wheels. Sure enough...passenger side took two raps on the tire, driver side took about two dozen. Oh well, still no surprises!

All said...4 hours. Sorry about the lengthy post. Thanks again everyone!

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: woundedbear ]</p>

TooMuchMuscle
01-07-2003, 17:23
Sounds good. Are there no other things to check at 25K? Thanks

Dmaxducker
01-07-2003, 22:32
How difficult is the complete transmission / filter service? Is there any written procedures anywhere? I'm not even close to a mechanic but I have done the outer spin on trans filter, oil/filter changes, fuel filter and rear diff service so far. I'm at about 8300 miles now, and figure the AT service at about 15,000 miles. Does that sound right? Anyway the written material by Mr. Bigley on the fuel filter change was great. Anything like that for the AT service? Thanks

JimWilson
01-08-2003, 11:56
See, who said we weren't a bunch of geniuses?! :D tongue.gif