PDA

View Full Version : ZF6 with bucket seats

Big O
02-16-2002, 19:18
Before ordering my truck, I specked it out on the GM site. The site would not allow the manual 6spd with bucket seats. When I tried to order leather buckets at the dealer, they found out also that the computer would not accept it, nor even with cloth bucket seats. Well today I see a friend that has the ZF6 with LEATHER BUCKETS! He tells me that the leather is aftermarket, but the buckets came with the truck. Was I p*ssed? I explained that I tried numerous times to get buckets but was repeatedly denied. When asked how he got them he said it was NO PROBLEM-he put them on the order and they took it. What gives? Both are '02 3500, his came in a week before mine.

------------------
Otis Alford
'02 3500 LS ZF6 spd, LWB, CC, 4X4, Dark Carmine, tan interior;
Una-Goose Hitch, with Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller,
(FREE) Commercial H/D Adrian Aluminum tool box,
Amsoil 2 Stage Air Filter and Gear Lube, Fumoto valve,
Husky contoured floor liners, Bed X-tender, Rhino bedliner,

Wally
02-16-2002, 20:22
I'm more tham a little cornfused by the seat issue myself. The reason behind no buckets has to do with the center console. Sort of makes sense. But when you look at the 40-20-40 arrangement with the electric option and the only difference that I can see between these and the buckets is the missing fold out armrest. Of course the 40-20-40 has the folding center storage section that doubles as an armrest.
For that matter why can't they put the 8-way adjustables(electric lumbar and side bolsters) in trucks without having to pay for the LT package which includes leather whether you want it or not?

------------------
01 Chevy 2500HD ext cab SB D/A Indigo Blue, 285's, AR-23 16X8 Alloys, Westin Bars, RhinoLiner, ARE Z series cap, Polished Billet grill
New Dmax/ZF LB ordered 12/07/01
93 ext cab LB 6.5TD 176K flawless miles!
DP member #448

Big O
02-16-2002, 20:38
Wally--Why GM can't/won't do certain options is another story. I was so unhappy over the stupid rule with the buckets, that I started to go with the D**ge-out of spite. But instead I sent a nasty email to the pin-heads at GM.

------------------
Otis Alford

Landscaper
02-16-2002, 22:14
All I wanted was cloth bench seats in the base model I was even willing to pay extra but, no they don't offer cloth in the base crew cab. Ever got into a vinel seat in mid summer when your wearing shorts and a tank top, doesn't feel to good. I also sent GM a nasty e-mail to complain, I don't understand why for $35,000 I can't get cloth in a truck. O well, I guess I'll have to by a new seat or seat covers. If my truck ever arrives.

------------------
Catoe Lawn Care
96 Chevy C3500 SRW 5.7 Vortec 4.10 Pulling a 14' Landscape Trailer With a 61" Scag Turf Tiger 27hp Liquid Cooled Kawasaki, 44" Toro Hydro Walk Behind 20hp Kohlers, Stihl Blowers, Trimmers and Chain Saws.

Soon to be: 2002 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax\ZF CC

Big O
02-16-2002, 22:55
Yea, this is the first new vehicle that I bought since '76, and the first that I ordered since my '74 vette. Back then, any option they made, you could buy, if you had the $$--regardless of how stupid or bad taste it may be. Not anymore. Some pinhead decides what type of packages go together and what they thing looks good together. If you want vinyl floors with leather seats--go for it.

But I still can not figure out why one dealer could get buckets with the ZF6 but none of the ones that I checked with could??

------------------
Otis Alford

wolfie
02-17-2002, 00:30
I have a hunch that you could get them if you have a smart dealer that knows the right RPO's... I know the dealer I go to orders base model trucks with the "uplevel cloth trim" option that is standard in the LS models with the folding storage arm rest. He told me that a lot of people wanted the better seats but didn't want the power windows and locks... it's over $200 for the seats but a lot cheaper than an LS

sloth501
02-17-2002, 00:42
Big O:

I am guessing that it has something to with the Chevy's because I just ordered a GMC SLT CC with the ZF-6 and bucket seats. I went with the GMC because when I tried to spec the truck out at kelly's blue book, it would not let me spec bucket seats with the ZF-6.

I drove a ZF-6 with the split bench last summer and the location of the cup holder suck! Why GM can't put cup holders in the fold down portion of the bench seat like Ford and Dodge have done with their trucks & SUV's is beyond me. If they had, I would have no problem with the split bench seats....

Thanks,
Gary

------------------
Waiting on '02 GMC 2500HD CC 4x2, D/ZF-6
Ordered 2-5-02

Big O
02-17-2002, 16:18
NOW I find these things out. I wish I would have posted this BEFORE I order the truck. But you know, you tend to assume that when GM's website and the dealers tell you that it is not allowed-then it would be that way for EVERYBODY, EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME! Oh well, I guess I should be glad. I saved a $1000-yea, right!

------------------
Otis Alford

crafty
02-18-2002, 16:23
My truck is a six speed with the cloth buckets and centre console. I wanted the buckets but not the power seats. I ended up with both. The only option I wanted but couldn't have was both the cd & tape players. The gear shift meant that I could only have one or the other. I have a GMC and never did look at a Chev.

------------------
<A HREF="http://photos.yahoo.com/thecrafty007" TARGET=_blank>
http://photos.yahoo.com/thecrafty007

</A>2001 GMC 2500HD Ext cab SB Dmax 6 speed
86 6.2D
79 5.7D
D.P. member # 6147
Ontario Plate "DMAX DSL"

chane
02-20-2002, 15:21
You guys can pull the center seat out of the 40-20-40 and install a center console. See http://www.geocities.com/chevy4x4trucks/consoleandcarpet.html pics and info.

I have a set of LS Ext. cloth seat covers if anyone is intrested. They pulled them of when I had the leather installed.

Also, you can install a fold down cup holder like the dodges have. See http://www.rtol.net/scornell/mirrows.htm for install pics and info.

------------------
-Chane

2001 Onyx Black GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab SB
8.1L / Allison 5 Speed / Rear Axle - 4.10 Ratio
340 HP / 455lb-ft Torque

http://www.2500HD.cjb.net
http://www.ecadinc.com/chane/truck/signature.jpg

[This message has been edited by chane (edited 02-20-2002).]

odoh
05-19-2002, 09:54
Chane (or anyone) wud you know if the dash mount cup holders would work for the '02s? ~ odoh

Colorado Kid
05-20-2002, 08:27
Uh, Chane, I don't think those fold out cup holders are going to work very well for those of us with ZFs, unless we want to drive everywhere using only 5th gear! (Now that I think about it, we probably could do that as long as we didn't put to much of a load in). It looks to me like that's the only position the shifter could be in and still allow the cupholders to fold out.

I have the bench and I don't understand what the fuss is about. The seat I sit in is a "bucket", identical to what it would have been if I'd orderred it with the console. I've got short legs, and since the center section doesn't move with my seat, the cupholders end up not being too bad a reach for me, and they don't catapult my drink cups when I cross the railroad tracks like the ones on a company D**g* I drove did.