PDA

View Full Version : Almost Stolen Truck

Eric Dubreuil
01-07-2003, 22:20
Well its been a trying day to say the least. My 2002 Toyota Tundra was stolen(only 5500 miles). After finally dealing with the police and insurance company I am ready to go back to work. I hop into my 2002 Chevy 3500 deisel and notice that the ashtray is missing. CRAP! They got into this vehicle as well. No sign of forced entry. The only thing missing is the ashtray and some change, so I figure it could be worse. I try to start the vehicle, the key goes in, but it won't rotate inside the cylinder. I tryed to rotate the wheel figuring maybe the wheel lock was bound. Nope! I don't appear to have a wheel lock anymore. If anyone nows how to check this I would appreciate them telling me where to look. After that I notice that the screws holding the trim piece around the column are missing(the best I can tell they got frustrated and put it back the way it was). I call the police and insurance yada yada yada and the dealer who is going to send a tow truck to pick up my truck that does not start. I disconnect the JUICE so the dealer doesn't see it and figure I would try the key one more time. IT WORKS! I don't understand why except that maybe disconnecting the ECM reset the alarm/kill switch. Anyway I need a beer and your input on all the weird goings on with my truck. Thanks

AKDmax
01-07-2003, 22:31
That makes me feel good, I'm puttin mine on the boat next week headed for Hawaii. Did the alarm ever go off? Hope you get it fixed, and all is good again.

mdrag
01-07-2003, 23:31
Eric,

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes and bad luck. There is NO steering wheel lock on the 2001 2500HD/3500 trucks, and I don't believe this changed for 2002.

mackin
01-08-2003, 05:11
It's nice to know the ign. kill works......I wonder how they got in???With my truck if I were to reach in an open window to unlock door the horn will wale......I would assume a lock stick would be the same results....If they had a PIC set man they are amateurs....

I know the feeling had a Mint 93 dually stolen 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel....Gained access through rear slider, and that was the OLD style column,I recall see many a news stories on just how easy it was to steal these vehicles with that column....Hammer and screwdriver key.....Never a slider in my truck again.....

MAC

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

JimWilson
01-08-2003, 11:31
Talk about a horrible day! :mad: I know what it's like though -- I've had various cars broken into about 5 times over the years, and my mother had hers stolen. It really sucks. I hope everything works out for you...

battmain
01-08-2003, 18:35
Mackin wrote...
"It's nice to know the ign. kill works......I wonder how they got in???With my truck if I were to reach in an open window to unlock door the horn will wale......I would assume a lock stick would be the same results....If they had a PIC set man they are amateurs...."

There is a saying that you can find anything on the web or even in newsgroups. (Hint)

I'll leave you with a snipet of the info I found a while back...there is a way in without setting off the POS security system. (and NO, I will not post how.)

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: battmain ]</p>

mackin
01-08-2003, 20:10
battmain

I hear ya !!!!!!!

There is no true anti theft I know.....If a professional car thief wanted it, they'd take it, alarm or not....I would assume these guys were not as it would have been gone, I would think......

MAC :(

crafty
01-09-2003, 09:48
In 1995 my 86 GM was stolen right from the driveway. It was locked and no keys were around. They broke the side vent window and then cut off the ignition switch. The truck was found two days later on a street in town with a flat tire but no other damage. It appeared that it was used to move or steal something as the tarp was off and the supports were missing.
When I got the Dmax I bought a CLUB for it and never park it without putting it in place. If they want to "borrow" this one I will make the buggers work for it.
P.S. I basicly found my own missing truck. The police weren't doing much so I put up posters where I work. It was a couple of students who came to me with the location of my truck. :D :D :D

txguppy
01-11-2003, 21:21
Hey Guys, I also have had my old truck a '93 Chevy Z-71 almost stolen. Luckily I had a Steadfast Armored Ignition Column Lock. This theft deterant is worth its weight in gold.

Also, another little trick is to put your transfer case in Neutral. This will generaly foil punk thieves. But, like someone already said, if a professional wants your truck its "hasta la vista, baby.." :(

txguppy

NickLeinonen
01-13-2003, 09:15
"I wonder how they got in?"

with a factory gm key. one gm key will open about 1 in 10 doors, but will not start the engine [will not turn ignition] my 97 tahoe key will open the doors on my pop's 99 silverado, and visa versa, but one key can not start the other vehicle. some times very handy, but scary at the same time.