PDA

View Full Version : FUEL FILTER DRAIN

PONCH
01-09-2003, 08:21
since I am new to the DIESEL world I have a couple of Question:

I tried to find and loosen the drain on the fuel filter, but on mine ( located on the right side of engine) I could not feel a petcock or knob to turn. Am I looking for the right thing or for that matter in the right place?

Also: if I were able to turn a knob wouldn't the fuel drain/spray down over the frame? Probably eating away the frame coating.

SEE YA BYE

hoot
01-09-2003, 09:26
Yep, it's white plastic. It actually has a nipple end designed to stick a rubber hose on it if you need to. It's slamm but I don't know what hose size. Something around 1/4 or 5/16 ID.

Yes the fuel will drip on the frame and dissole the wax coating.

I get one gallon paint pail liners at Home Depot. You can collapse them and stick them under the filter. They sit nicely on the frame. The cost less than $1 a piece.

BigLakeDMAX
01-09-2003, 22:10
Hoot,

Great idea on the paint pail liner. I'll have to give that a try. When I did mine here a few weeks back, I followed the instructions in my owners manual verbatim. Opened fuel filler cap, opened drain valve, about two drips of fuel came out. I've since read posts talking about opening the vent on top of the filter housing and even pumping fuel out with the primer pump. I'm wondering if any water present will drain simply following the directions in the manual, and no fuel will come out, or are the instructions incomplete and I need to do these additional two steps. I see value in letting fuel drain as well and then watching for any water to separate.

Don

DonG
01-10-2003, 11:34
Hoot,

When I asked for paint pail liners at my local Home Depot, I just got a blank stare.

Are they called by a different name or is my Home Depot guy just not with it?

Thanks,
Don

hoot
01-10-2003, 13:27
I call them paint pail liners cause I found them in the paint section where the plastic and tin paint buckets are. Same section as the rollers and trays I think.

Here's what they look like.... copy and paste into your URL field.

http://www.uvprocess.com/products/Inkhan/Storing/Pailacc/Paillin/J001020u.gif

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Black Dog
01-10-2003, 14:00
Just cut the bottom out of a gallon milk jug and shove it down under there. If you are halfway careful, hardly any fuel will drip anyway. This is not a messy job.

hoot
01-10-2003, 14:05
--------------------------------------------------
Just cut the bottom out of a gallon milk jug and shove it down under there. If you are halfway careful, hardly any fuel will drip anyway. This is not a messy job.
--------------------------------------------------

That's a great idea, and cheap!

XTOCAK
01-10-2003, 14:19
As a former '02 Dodge Ram CTD owner, I picked up on using two of the plastic grocery bags (one inside of the other) to catch the Mopar filters as you unscrewed them. I transferred this over to my new Duramax when I changed the fuel filter and it worked great. First I broke the filter loose. Then I just put one plastic grocery bag inside the other and then slid it like a sleeve up around the outside of the filter. I continued to unscrew it by hand and it finally dropped off into the bag. Nice and easy, no mess.

DonG
01-10-2003, 18:23
Found the paint liners at a paint shop. Cost 99 cents plus tax.

Lots of good ideas here on how to contain the fuel and keep the mess under control.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Don

PONCH
01-17-2003, 15:12

PONCH
01-17-2003, 15:19
Don't know how I did that but

I just put the rubber hose on and it works excellant. Now I hav to go back out and attach it permenatly.

Like the idea of the pail liners I'll pick some of thoes up for changing the oil.

Thanks to all that answered. I"M LEARNING!!!

SEE YA BYE