PDA

View Full Version : Driving down Icy Hills/Roads

Oongawah
11-02-2002, 00:25
Just a lil' tip. I've driven icy roads for quite a while now with different vehicles. They all react differently(of coarse). Last year I attempted a very steep hill late one night on my way home from work in my new D/A. Because of the ice and snow I was stuck in a road block just before that for over an hour and was anxious to get home. I took the hill because I knew the D/A was going to handle the ice much better than my Dakota did, and of course no one else was going that way, so it should have been quicker. Well, when I peaked the crest I let off the fuel button only to notice the Allison take more control of the low range gears than I had anticipated. The rear starts coming around. I give a little fuel to gain control but realize now the fog is setting in hard and I really must slow down to make sure I don't get going faster than I can handle, but guess what? In low range I could not keep the Alli from sliding me, and now I'm in trouble because I'm over the crest now, the road is worse than I had anticipated, there is fog in the play, and I'm gaining momentum. A few thoughts went through my head like, do I find a ditch? do I hug the rail? This is my new baby-please no. Somehow I was moved to put it in nuetral, and total control came from the ABS. I mean it was like night and day. So instead of eventually sliding down from panicing and locking up the binders, putting it nuetral allowed the ABS to kick in and give control. My approximate speed at the bottom of the hill if I had locked em' up at the top would have been 60-70 MPH just as the sharp curve comes up at the bottom. The good thing about all this, is I was able to help the victims of an accident I found when I got 3/4 of the way down. They chose to hug the rail, which seems to have been the next best thing. No one hurt. I hope this helps the winter weather D/A drivers, and yes, I'm insane. Take care, Chuck.

thechevyhdman
11-02-2002, 01:04
Well before I say this im just home from the bar so bear with me. One thing I hate about my truck the most has the most to do with Ungowah or whatever they used to say in the Jerky Boys. Ill come down a hill. no Tow/Haul mode. Trailer in back no more than 2 tons and Bam 2 hits on the brake equate to Holy Cr@p,All of the sudden Im pushing 2600 rpms for no reason. Ok i say shes just saving my brakes or killing my engine either/or. So I take the same hill. Tow Haul on I hit my brakes a few times nothing..by the time i use my brakes to slow me down to where I want to be Tow/Haul kicks in at the most unneed time. You all know what Im talking about. That time you hit your brakes going down a hill and dont want a downshift but even though your in your NOT in T/H you get one. That ****es me off bad,Im sorry but it shouldnt be that way... theres some things about these trucks that really get my @SS one being this is my biggest pet pieve....doors that will not stay open when your parked uphill. Ya know I spend 35K on a truck. When i open my door,I expect it to stay open till i close it but no it comes crashing down on my leg. Im GM biased but theres just somethings I wish I never bought a Chevy for....And if I still has my 99 2500 non HD Id show you my dent on the bottom of my door for this exact reason. Sorry had to say what I feel. Bill

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

Oongawah
11-02-2002, 01:24
Yeah, you hit it right on the head Bill. You know I could live with it if it would just stinking release when I hit T/H to put it back in normal, but no it stays locked. I am getting real used to it though. When towing our 5th wheel this past weekend it was a dream. The only difference was I had the juice in L2 for T/H mode for the first time. It did make a difference now that I think about it. You might want to check that out with version 4.61.

letsgo
11-02-2002, 17:47
There is only one way to come down a steep hill in ice or snow with a DURAMAX and that is real slow, in nuetral, and PUMP those brakes, IF YOU THINK THAT ABS WILL SAVE YOUR A$$ forget it, (personal experience) , same as going around icy corners to fast and loosing it bang it into neutral, recovery will be very quick.

good luck

conradv
11-03-2002, 15:19
All right, I'll bite: Where can I read up on the differences between winter driving with the Allison as compared without? Or are you just talking about creeping down hills (5-10mph), and this being just an ABS issue?

This sounds like quite a serious difference in driving styles that I was unaware of.

letsgo
11-03-2002, 19:06
The ABS issue
By pumping the brakes in ice or snow you are forcing 6800 lbs to dive onto the front wheels creating a greater stopping force between the front wheels and road where as ABS will slow you down but the truck is level and you keep your foot on the brake until you stop, BUT what about the 4 bay snow mobil trailer your towing down a steep snow covered grade, you applied the ABS with constant foot presure the trailer brakes will lock up, trailer will most likely jack knife, by pumping the truck and trailer will most likely stay in a straight line.

Last spring while towing (10000lbs) down an 8% grade in tow haul the tranny down shifted, engine hit 3500rpm lucky I wasnt on a wet road I believe the rear end would have caused us to spin out there is so much stopping torque at the rear wheels with the 6.6 and the allison.

If 10mph is the safe speed then thats what I will do.

good luck