PDA

View Full Version : anybody done a tran upgrade?

pitboss
11-04-2002, 00:45
Anyone have an opinion on effectiveness or cost of ATS Performance's tran upgrades? Do their ideas make sense, are they missing something? Are they charging big$ for stuff that sounds good and may do what it says, but won't really add much strength or value for the price?

BD Power says some guys are wrecking their trans right now whether they know it yet or not (nobody here of course). They're working on stuff similar to what they did on dodge autos and it'll be out in a few months. Any views on BD's approach and potential value in GM?

In general, can you trust any of these after-market shops to manufacture torque converters, valve bodies, etc that will equal Allison quality, or can nothing really be done and we just have to keep HP within 125 of stock? Seems like a waste to do that ...

Kennedy
11-04-2002, 07:25
I've been running the converter/flow valve from ATS Diesel for some time now. It seems to help my Allison deal with the HOT Juice and other mods, but it will not stand 430RW. I am told that this ia 1/3rd of what they can do for the Allison. The Stage II kit is not ready yet. The converter kit (Stage I)should be updated to my site soon.

pitboss
11-04-2002, 23:51
Thanks. If ATS isn't ready w/stage 2, its a chance to see what BD does. Others apparently have bits or will right away, but it seems a major re-work is required for big power. I'll watch your site for ATS.

How do you dyno @430 if the tran won't take it?

Kennedy
11-05-2002, 00:08
4th (direct) gear.

Trans does prtyy well to 380 RW...

mackin
11-05-2002, 07:27
This should get lively,perhaps ......
Bang Bang guns are blazing ........

ATS I have no direct connection or haven't used there products directly......

A lot of Dodge guys have and do rave about there upgraded trannys....
So I'm sure that they must be trust worthy to an extent,or they would be trashed on other sites.....Money is the root to all evil !!!!!! To SHA !!!!!

I can see the values have having the triple lock T/C to get the power to the tranny with minimal heat exchange and slipage when the TQ/HP is raised......To keep a solid link exchange....... But what good is it if the tranny it self can't handle it???? I think the Allison all ready has a excellant T/C attached,with T/H.....Is this really the weak link
??? Or is it insurance?????

Before I'm trashed I'm but the messenger, not the message maker....Or am I trying to start a rumor.....Nor will I indulge my source.....

I've been told the valve body is a waste of money and really offers no significent change,as testing was done...... :eek: ..I was told this some time ago when it first came out...... So JK are you running the full body??? Or you wish not to disclose??

So I wait for additional info.....As I have time ,nothing but time......

I rest the smoking gun !!!!!!!

MAC :D