PDA

View Full Version : Tires

dmaxstu
01-12-2003, 11:29
After 25000 MI on my 2002 GMC D/max my original Bridgestone tires are very nearly at the end of their life. I do often run fast at maximum GVW. However would sure like to find a set of tires that would last a little longer. Perhaps I could increase the size, but not so large they won't fit on the oem wheels. Any one out there have a recommendation for a better tire. I never go off-road this is a travelin' truck long distances towing a TT. Stu

ccds
01-12-2003, 11:33
take a look at my pic's I have changed to Michelin 265's on OEM rims. Didn't even have to change the speedo....it was close enough

click on full size picture and you will get a good look at the tires..

hope this helps

smile.gif

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

FisHn2DMax
01-14-2003, 03:49
DMAXSTU,

With stock rims you could go as big as 285's. However, If you stay with stock rims, then 265's are just about the max ( perfect) size I would recommend with OEM rims. As far which brand, I think that's an individual decision based on how you use your truck and the conditions it will see. Dunlop, Mich,BF and Goodyear all make great tires! Since I see your towing some good sized loads,it would make good sense to look for a high load rating on your next set of tires!

I see from your Sig, that you have two Honda EU-2000's Inverter type generators hooked in parallel. I have a couple of Eu-1000's and a Eu-3000i. Will your Eu-2000's hooked in parallel run your R/V roof top AC? My EU-3000i will kick out on start-up sometimes? I have to "trick it" in to starting up by turning generator ECO off, turning the A/C fan on low vent, then slowly to low cool, then to high cool. My two little EU-1000i's in parallel aren't enough for the RV A/C!

I thinking about getting two Eu-2000i's and selling my other generators. Just curious how your 2000's have worked out for you? I sure love how quiet that electric start Eu-3000i is ( 48db under full load)! I just wish it had another 500W for start up of my 13,500 BTU A/C unit on my 5'er.

Good luck on the tire selection.

smile.gif

Silver Bullet
01-14-2003, 14:51
Stu,
I would recommend 265s as the max size for OEM rims. I tried 285's on the OEM rims and I had to run low tire pressure to get the rubber to meet the road due to the tire "crowning" b/c of the narrow 6.5" rim.

On edit: You can run 255s on the stock rims with no problems except you might have to tweak your torsion bars. They are about as tall as a 285s, but more narrow.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

billfarmer
01-14-2003, 17:52
My 2002 came in with bridgestones that looked like car tires so I went with the firestones steelexs that were on my ford. the ford at 40k on them and looked like half used. I had no trouble with them. went with 265's also. they seem to wear good and are rated high enough. the michelins I wanted werent heavy enough.

FisHn2DMax
01-14-2003, 19:13
BillFarmer,

FYI,
I had the SteelTex tires on my previous Ford Super duty and I agree they seemed to be very good tires, until I had one of them came apart ( bubble) after just 9K miles. Thank God I noticed it just before it blew. I was towing a large heavy boat at the time across a winding and remote high desert road. Firestone was very good about replacing the bad tire! The Firestone tire dealer was much too nice? They even wanted to reimburse me for my time changing the tire. I was thinking to myself, these folks seem very nervous about something or this is the best dealer on earth? They pulled all of my tires and checked them on a spin balance machine. They down played the failure and said it had never happened before. I did wonder why if they've never seen this type of failure before on a SteelTex then why were they checking all my other tires?

The other night, I was watching one of those 60 minute prime time news programs ( can't remember which one?) and low and behold they were talking about all the reported problems with Firestone SteelTex truck tires. They showed a failed SteelTex tire that looked exactly like what happened to mine. It appears the National Transportation Safety Board is seriously looking into all the reports of failures which many are being reported as having caused injury and death? If true, the SteelTex tires may have a similar recall as the Wilderness tires did two years ago. It's too bad, because I don't think Firestone can't survive another round of PR problems! However, public safety must come first!

The only good news in all of this will be for those trucks owners that have the SteelTex OEM tires. They'll probably be getting some new tires, especially if the NTSB finds a problem. This will launch a wave of high powered law firms (via class action suits) to force Firestone to settle. If true, it's the end of Firestone as we know it!

I sure the press will be all over this in the months to come.

:eek:

Steve Joneli
01-15-2003, 04:17
Most of my driving is freeway, no off rosd. I put a set of TOYO "Open Countries" on my truck. Love em. Real smooth and quiet.

WillowCreekStable
01-16-2003, 08:00
I swapped my factory 245 Steeltex tires for 265 LTX Michelins soon as I got the truck. I have had Michelins on previous trucks, always got good wear. I have M+S, AT