PDA

View Full Version : I was Stupid and need help

FirstDiesel
06-08-2002, 09:49
Okay don't ask how but I bent the crossmember under the oilpan. Its bent upwards but is not touching the bottom of the oilpan, but the clearance is small.

I guess I need to know the following:

1. Do I need to fix it??

2. Can I remove this brace without worrying about the front suspension falling apart and knock it out and get it reinstalled??

hoot
06-08-2002, 10:34
I believe that thing is welded in place. I don't like it. I had tires installed and the shop used a floor jack under it. Bad move. Mine also is slightly bowed up but not enough to be concerned. The bad part is the lower control ares are anchored there. This could effect alignment.

If you could chain it down in the middle somehow and jack the truck up from some other "central" location, that just might do the trick. You would need some type of cemented in steel loop like they use to hold down aircraft on the tarmac.

FirstDiesel
06-08-2002, 10:43
I'll have to look at it again but it looks like 2 bolts on each side to me. Yea, the alignment was my concern but I would guess if it was affecting that the only true fix would be a new brace to make sure it's correct.

56Nomad
06-08-2002, 17:09
FirstDiesel,

Sounds like a collision loss under your auto policy.

Hope you have a $100 deductible

FirstDiesel
06-09-2002, 06:53
No 100 dollar deductable in this state!!! You would have to sell your kids to pay the premiums. We had "insurance reform" about 3 years ago. They studied all the systems of "no fault" out there. Who's did they pick?? The state with the highest premiums!!! That's what happens when you live in a state where the legislators are only part timers and most of them are lawyers. Why would they set up a good insurance system, and cheat themselves out of all the side work they would get.

hoot
06-10-2002, 03:28
I just looked at it on my truck. Yes it is bolted on. Get a price on the part. If it's less than or around $100, I'd replace it myself.