PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Strange wind noise?

Diesel Duck
01-13-2003, 03:55
My '03 D/A has about 3500 miles on it. Recently, I noticed a strange noise at about 70 MPH. With the radio off, I begin hearing what sounds like small hail hitting the windshield. It begins at 60 MPH & gets louder at higher speeds?

Any ideas???

Thanks

jbplock
01-13-2003, 05:01
The noise you are hearing is the molding on each side of the windshield flapping against the glass. I noticed it on my 03 the first week I had the truck. I searched the forum and found others had it too. The fix is to use either some double sided tape or a bead of Sealant to hold the molding down. I used some (red) 3M tape from AutoZone (I think WalMart sells it too) and it's fixed.

The following is a quote from an earlier post by "truckin" on this subject.

"I also had this problem after I added a bugshield from Ventshade. Mine sounded like a rattle coming from the air intake louvers at the bottom of the windshield. It was the rubber molding on both sides of the windshield. There are four screws under the molding in the door frame area that hold it on. I removed the screws but did not remove the molding. This gave me enough room to lift the molding and place a small bead of silicon sealant under it. I have heard that some people used 1/8 inch doublesided tape from 3M. I now have no rattle at any speed. A quick test to see if this is your problem is to tape the molding down to the windshield and drive the truck. Don't leave the tape on long because it will leave a residue that is hard to get off."

:)

Diesel Duck
01-13-2003, 11:30
Thanks for the info, Bill!!!

I'm glad it's something I can fix instead of having to carry it to the shop.

I noticed you have a Retrax bed cover. I've got one also & now I'm having trouble finding any kind of tool box that will fit beneath it without taking up too much of the bed area. Have you got any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Joe Rankin

FirstDiesel
01-16-2003, 19:53
I think there is a 2nd potential for this noise. Open your hood and look at the hinge arms. There are pieces of rubber on each one. I think these are flappi9ng on my truck at certain speeds when the airflow is right. We just got back from 1500 mile round trip to KY and everytime I passed a big rig at 70+ MPH I got this sound for just the time I was in their airflow. I'm going to look into fastening these down somehow.

BobW
01-16-2003, 23:52
Driving down the mountain, I get wind noise from the driver door when doing curves to the right. I think the door must be moving to the outside of the curve. (I guess I could go slower on the turns, but I can't figure out how to make the D/A go slow.)