PDA

View Full Version : Switched 12volt source?

mdadgar
01-13-2003, 11:19
I need a source of ignition-switched 12volt power in the truck. I have one wire to connect to it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

- Mark
02 Sierra 2500HD D/A 4x4 CC SWB

tpitt
01-13-2003, 13:58
Mark,
I'm not sure what your trying to do, but I install a lot of exhaust brakes and use fuse taps to a fuse in the fuse box.
I take a tester and see which side feeds the fuse and put the tap there. Then you attach a female spade to the wire you wish to attach. ( make sure this wire is fused ) You can also use the tester the make sure it is switched. tpitt

mdadgar
01-13-2003, 14:19
Yeah, that's what the shop I used did. It's kind of messy, so I wanted to rewire it a bit cleaner.

Thanks.

- Mark

3-Fan
01-13-2003, 16:16
I use a mini-add-a-circuit from NAPA Item#: BK 7822226.
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15625706&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=

It is essentially a "Y" fuse. It plugs into the fuse location, one side of the add-a fuse powers what the fuse block is wired too and the other side powers whatever you attach the pigtail wire too. At NAPA they are about $17, but someone mentioned they are around $6 at Auto Zone.

I have used a couple of these and are very clean and easy to use.

AKDmax
01-13-2003, 19:53
I had alot of trouble trying to use the fuse taps (broke two fuses). It's like trying to cram 10 gallons of poop (politically correct) ;) in a 5 gallon bucket. It was also mentioned that the fuse taps spread out the contacts in the panel. I also went with the add-a-circuit. Nice clean, easy install. Just need to make sure you have installed the right direction or you don't get power. Check the pic if the earlier post isn't good enough. http://www.pbase.com/image/6960437

mdadgar
01-13-2003, 21:05
Anyone got any idea which fuses are switched with ignition? I would have thought the radio was, but it is not.

Thanks.

- Mark

AKDmax
01-13-2003, 22:04
IGN1, IGN0

tpitt
01-13-2003, 22:31
I realize that all fuse taps are not equal. I buy mine by the bulk from a local R.V. dealer. The trouble with add a fuse is that the only ones I've found will only go to 10 amps. I need 15 amps for the exhaust brakes. tpitt

Colorado Kid
01-14-2003, 10:15
Oh sure! Post this good information in the two days AFTER I install the Handsfree Cell phone! :mad:

IGN0 is the fuse I used, and a fuse tap. Looks like "Add a circuit" is the right way, but I'd never seen them. (Never looked either!). I was surprised how buttoned up the wiring is in these trucks...you can't find an exposed wire to splice into anywhere, nor an exposed lug. This can result in some frustration when you have no fuse taps and live 17 miles from the parts store!

The phone required a switched power source (IGN0)and an "always on" souce...that was the hard one to find. I got it though, but I'd have to look at the fuse pannel map to remember what it was called...it was right next to a 25 amp Circuit Breaker. I nearly decided to just pull the wire out of one of the 12 volt outlets!

mdapperdan
01-14-2003, 20:01
Terry, After reading your comments I would like to ask you if you would mind e-mailing me? I have questions on my project.
Thanks Dan
mdapperdan2002@yahoo.com

permx11
01-15-2003, 17:11
I just picked up a couple add-a-circuit from autozone for $6.99 they are made by Littlefuse part # 0fhm0200zp

I plan on using the unused rear wiper and and another unused accessory fuse. Look at your owners manual there are several unused fuses.

mdadgar
01-15-2003, 19:42
I wondered about those unused fuses. Are they actually wired to anything in our trucks? Or are they just empty sockets?

- Mark