PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rattle?...Who has it discovery

FormulaPro
06-12-2002, 07:57
Windjammer and I have been hashing out Steering Rattle tactics on another thread. He came up with a good idea to find out the scope of the problem, maybe if we had something with a significant amount of people, GM would be a little more responsive.

If you all could post response to this thread with the following:

1. Do you have the rattle?

2. Have you had it fixed?

3. Was the fix successful?

4. Dealer name for successful fix?

Thanks to all who reply,
Keith

MAXed Out
06-12-2002, 09:00
FormulaPro,

I've got the rattle. I had the dealer (Champion Chevrolet - Reno NV) perform the TSB for "lubing the intermediate shaft". The rattle was slightly lessened but it is still present.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: MAXed Out ]</p>

MudNurI
06-12-2002, 09:46
Okay here's my story

1. Yes I have the rattle

2. not yet

3. Ater 7 trips to dealer #1, and 3 trips to dealer #2 NOPE

4. Dealer #1- in Lebanon, NH- (still not sure about posting dealer names??) but its the ONLY Chevrolet dealer there... no success- 3 different lube jobs.
Dealer #2- Claremont, NH- ONLY Chevrolet Dealership...successful after they did the lube-(for a little while) rattle came back in 11 days, went back in- they were suppose to order the part- service manager is telling my tech, can't order it.... problem with communication- I'm going to smack that guy

Dealer #1 again- they DID order the part, saw the part order slip myself, suppose to be in last week, this dealership is NOTORIOUS for ordering the wrong stuff, not ordering what was written down etc... so as of right now I'm still rattling

Brandy

GMFAN70
06-12-2002, 10:28
Rattle: Yes. Lube didn't help. Waiting for further developments.

NFLDMAX
06-12-2002, 11:44
I have the rattle

Lube Job did not work.

No TSB, No Bearing will be ordered according to the dealer.

Still waiting

SoCalDMAX
06-12-2002, 13:05
Yes, I have the steering rattle.

Took it in to the dealer once, they said could not duplicate.

Been to lazy to take it in again, but will if the new steering box bearing will fix it.

Regards, Steve

dmaxstu
06-12-2002, 13:24
Had the rattle, dealer replaced intermediate steering shaft, rattle came back but not quite as severe(yet). Stu

windjammer
06-12-2002, 13:35
I have the rattle.
Dealer called this morning and said he had ordered and received the bearing.
I will take my truck in Monday for the bearing replacement. The dealer ordered the part at my urging, but said he talked to tech support and they said the bearing will resolve the rattle problem. Why then do they have a TSB for a lube kit solution?

ZFMax
06-12-2002, 13:38
1. Yes, since the day I drove the truck home (2002 2500HD 4x4)

2. 6 service visits, all of them included this issue ... lube jobs per TSB, intermediate shaft replacement, various other tightenings

3. Not a dime's worth of improvement

4. N/A

Additional info: Dealer ordered the bearing kit, appointment to get it installed is the 26th.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: ZFMax ]</p>

turbowind
06-12-2002, 19:54
HI Guys !
Yep... I have had the steering rattle since day 1

They changed two inter. shafts and lubed them

They tightened loose bolts, steering arms and shocks and could not duplicate.

The rattle is still there...Steering box bearing are on order !

mattb5150
06-12-2002, 20:56
Yes I have it.

Reported to GM 800 number case number started.

Won't let dealer touch it til I know it will be fixed right the first time by hearing of the real fix on this forum.

Matt B.

Jomar
06-12-2002, 21:04
Yes,I had the rattle, took it to Cavender Chev. in Boerne, Tx. They greased the steering shaft,( filled the tube up with grease ) but I think I can still hear a little rattle every once in a while.

John G.

ASI DMAX
06-12-2002, 21:23
Had steering shaft replaced... Rattle still there. Had the bearing replaced. Rattle all gone!
Already posted details under steering rattle post.

motovet
06-13-2002, 00:59
HAD the rattle. Steering shaft replaced,no fix. Had the bearing replacement (part# 26099860), FIXED. 500mi.and so far so good. Whitneys Chevrolet, Doug Sample..1-800-829-1922.

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

JackDmax
06-13-2002, 11:26
Yes I have the steering rattle, but not from day one. Truck is 9 mos old with about 8k mi. It is gradually getting bad enough that I can complain about it to the dealer (Buckles Motors)which I did last week. Only fix he knew about was the TSB for the lube job. After he read several of these Emails which I had printed for him he acknowledged the lube job did not appear to be the fix and what did I want him to do? I told him to wait a week or two and I would probably have confirmation here about the bearing replacement. It now looks like I have that and I will have him order the bearing and install it. Hope that fixes it.

Jack

mps007
06-13-2002, 17:05
1. Do you have the rattle? developed around 10k miles

2. Have you had it fixed? attempted - used lube kit

3. Was the fix successful? partially - still has an Loose feel on hard rights -

4. Dealer name for successful fix? let me know

Thanks to all who reply,
Mike S

SHOPMAN426
06-14-2002, 09:39
I've got the rattle, it's been there since day one. The truck has 4000 miles so far and if anything its gotten worse. Haven't taken it to the dealer so far, was waiting to hear about a successfull repair first.

SHOPMAN426.

Mike.

motovet
06-14-2002, 15:24
Shopman, scroll up a few posts for the answer to your problems. Have the service guy call Doug if he is unsure about the fix. The front end feels nice and tight with the new bearing!

tim975
06-15-2002, 11:16
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I bought a brand new 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison truck about 3 weeks ago. Sat on the lot for about a year, don't know why no one bought it. I thought I was the only one with minor problems, I guess not. I've had the steering rattle since day 1 (25 miles), kinda feels like something is loose in the steering when I hit a bump. Now I have 1200 miles on it, still feels the same. Does anyone recommend anything? Not too many dealers know their $$$hole from their elbow, so I don't want to go that route. Any help is appreciated!

2001 Chevrolet 2500HD LS regular cab/long bed, Duramax/Allison, Victory Red, 7 1'2 Western Pro plow

Fishnfool
06-15-2002, 19:22
Niece's husband had bearing replaced at McConnell Chevrolet in Healdsburg CA. He said it fixed the rattle but has not put many miles on since to see if it stays fixed.

SWLA
06-16-2002, 09:42
I don't remember when I first noticed the rattle, must have been 2-3 months after I got it. Took it to the dealer a few weeks ago, had the lube TSB done. Fixed it for about 2 weeks. At this point it sounds like nothing was done at all. Mine only seems to rattle with turning. No rattle going straight, even over washboard roads.

BRYANGmc
06-16-2002, 09:45
Hi, I have 2000 miles on truck since bearing fix and I am happy to respond that the rattle is still GONE Hopefully for good

AKDmax
06-16-2002, 23:27
1. Do you have the rattle? Yes, 3000 miles on truck.

2. Have you had it fixed? Not yet, have an appointment for Wed. the 19th.

3. Was the fix successful? Hope so

4. Dealer name for successful fix? Will post if it's fixed.

windjammer
06-18-2002, 07:22
The bearing was replaced yesterday. I've only driven about 20 miles, but it is much much better than before. I think I just need to drive it for a week or two and forget the nightmare and enjoy the truck. Do I recommend the bearing replacement? Absolutely! I can now replace the cheap OEM shock absorbers and not feel like I will be wasting my money.

The area around and under the steering box is covered with oil. I cleaned the steering box off and will recheck it tonight. I am concerned that the bearing replacement may be leaking. Kanton1, did your bearing replacement stop leaking or did they have to do it over again?

BTW, the technician did a pre replacement test drive and could not hear the "rattle". I told the service manager that besides being deaf, the guy must not have any nerves in his hands because the rattle can be felt through the steering wheel as well as heard in the steering column/dash.

FormulaPro
06-18-2002, 07:59
Good for you Windjammer. I have contracted with a Law Firm and am preparing to file suit against General Motors....Eighteen months is completly unacceptable.

Before any of you jump all over me for filing suit...please let it be known, I am only filing suit to have the problem fixed, not for damages or any other bogus money grubbing crap...I just want it fixed.

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: FormulaPro ]</p>

letsgo
06-18-2002, 07:59
I hate to be the only one to ask this!
Where is this bearing located that every one is talking about, and does it have a name and part number??

kanton1
06-18-2002, 10:49
windjammer,

glad to hear that yours is fixed so far!! My steering fluid has not leaked since I cleaned it up and posted hear. I perioddically check it just to make sure, so far so good.

What dealer did your work? Do you have a number and a name. I am going to my home town dealer in two days to discuss the problem, and order the part. Hopefully I will have a fix in a month.

Kyle

NFLDMAX
06-18-2002, 16:20
Talked to another dealer in town today and they said they would order the bearing and install at my convinience. They even offered me a loaner while my truck was in the shop. I did not by my truck from this dealer, so I am very surprised by their willingness to help. Hopefully this will end the dreadful rattle.

motovet
06-18-2002, 23:52
Nearly 1K mi. so far and everything is well with the front end. Got the repair order in the mail...it said... Replace upper thrust bearing#26099860 in power steering gear assembly E9720.

windjammer
06-19-2002, 13:00
Hi Kanton1,
My local GMC dealer, Frank Brown GMC, did the work, but it wasn't a friendly repair (read my previous post). They also told me aftwards that this was the first time they had ever replaced this bearing. As I stated, I believe the rattle is gone, but I still don't like the feel of the from end. I will replace the shocks first and then re-evaluate.

Does anyone have the part number for the new Bilsteins (front and rear) that fit our 2500HDs'?

Derek M
06-22-2002, 06:44
**1. Do you have the rattle?**

Had the rattle

**2. Have you had it fixed?**

Yes, fixed 6/19/02

**3. Was the fix successful?**

Shaft replacment NOT successful
Grease shaft NOT sucessful
Steering box bearing replacment SUCCESSFUL

**4. Dealer name for successful fix?**

Reliable Chevorolet ....Richardson, TX

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: Derek M ]</p>

ZFMax
06-26-2002, 22:55
Got the bearing fix installed today.

For the very first time since I got this pickup last September, the STEERING DOES NOT RATTLE AND CLUNK WHEN I'M TURNING AND HIT RIPPLY BUMPS!

Only took 7 service visits at two different dealers, but what the hell. HOT DAMN IT'S FIXED!My whole attitude about my truck has changed today.

BIG THUMBS UP to Dean Davis (service manager) and Randy Ferdig (service advisor) at Davidson Chevrolet in Loveland CO (970-667-3950) for caring enough about their customer's satisfaction to be willing to try the bearing kit.

As to that "other" dealer who wouldn't even try it, and told me they couldn't hear it (after visit 4, and it was demonstrated for them on visit 2 and 3), and told me the vibration noise emanating from my exhaust system was normal for a diesel (later traced to a broken bracket and repaired by Davidson): bite me. If all the dealers were like you, I wouldn't own a Chevrolet.

And to Chevrolet's owner assistance line, who blindly stood by that dealer's BS diagnosis in both cases: bite me. If you guys spent a little more time educating dealers about these vehicles and how to take care of customers, instead of just taking their side iin everything, you'd have a lot more satisfied customers. Get a clue. Better yet, take lessons from Davidson.

Anyhow, enough venting. I'm happy. Folks, this bearing fix is the real deal. I was a little skeptical but willing to try anything. It fixed it. Really.

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: ZFMax ]</p>

mattb5150
07-03-2002, 22:36
WHY ISN'T THERE A TSB ON THIS THING????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Matt B.

FormulaPro
07-04-2002, 07:09
You're lucky ZF, I am in the process of making sure legal procedures are followed to a T. GM may be in for a big suprise over the next few weeks!

ZFMax
07-04-2002, 07:11
Best of luck to you FormulaPro, let us know how it turns out.

WayCoolKennel
07-05-2002, 10:10
Hey all,

Does this rattle affect the 2002 models ? If so.. had anyone noticed it fixed in later build dates ??

I'm buying a DA and would just assume have the rattle fixed BEFORE I take delivery.. I'll just tell them to replace the bearing BEFORE I sign on the dotted line ;)

Thanks,

--Steve

motovet
07-05-2002, 13:43
This problem has shown up on many 02' models ,mine included. I doubt GM is installing these new bearings in production but who knows?

hapaschold
07-09-2002, 18:09
i got the rattle, my build date oct '01.

MikeT
07-12-2002, 10:19
1. Have had the rattle since day 1 (2002 2500HD CC DM/AL) Build date 08/01.

2. Lube and intermediate shaft replacement did not fix it. Will try to get the dealer to do the bearing.

The rattle only occurs when I have even slight turning pressure on the wheel in either direction (but primarily to the left). Does not rattle when driving straight.

TO THE MAX
07-13-2002, 06:24
Have had the rattle since I received it.
Took in to get looked at with these posts and they sadi they could not duplicate.
Only happens on right handed turns.

motovet
07-13-2002, 11:22
They can't duplicate it cause every truck they drive feels like that! I got the same line as did many others....BS!!! Tell them to order that bearing,if they won't find a dealership that will. This fix has cured the problem for me and many others. GM is dragging their feet on this one. NOT GOOD!!

kanton1
07-13-2002, 13:59
hey guys and gals,

Well here is the official bearing kit everyone has been talking about. hopefully this can be taken to the dealer and everyone can finally have their rattle fixed!!

Good luck,
Kyle

http://service.gm.com:8083/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#page=8

FirstDiesel
07-13-2002, 14:22
I'm sorry but I don't see it. What is it called or what is the number??

DucksnDiesel
07-14-2002, 10:24
Well, at 17K miles, I got the rattle also. It started at about 10K miles and has gotten worse each day. Truck manufactured in 08/01. It's getting so bad, the rattle is even occuring while driving straight. It's off to the shop next week.

NFLDMAX
07-15-2002, 05:28
Well, I got the truck back from the dealer, hoping the rattle was gone. It is still there after the bearing install. :(

FormulaPro
07-15-2002, 09:43
Interesting NFLDMAX...You're the first (unfortunately) to say that the bearing install has not fixed the problem. Mine is at a dealer right now waiting for a tool (J-45798) to complete the install of bearing kit 26099860. I should have it back this evening and will update this thread with results.

Keith M.

ZFMax
07-15-2002, 11:46
FP, glad to hear you're getting the bearing ... they did cover it under warranty, right?

I can state absolutely, unequivocally, without a shadow of doubt, positively, that the bearing kit fixed my steering rattle. There are certain places I drive where it would rattle EVERY single time. It has not rattled ONCE since getting the bearing kit.

TallyMax
07-15-2002, 18:39
I got a similar result as NFLDMAX. I had the bearing fix done on my truck a month or so back at the dealer and it hasn't completely fixed mine either. It is better, but sometimes it still has that rattle. Just doesn't feel right. Must be this humid air down here! :D

NFLDMAX
07-16-2002, 05:40
TallyMax, maybe we took it to the same dealer for repairs. I have had questionable service from them in the past, but they were the only one willing to try to fix it. Shoot me an email, pellb@evarnum.com

FightinTXag
07-17-2002, 15:44
I bought my truck today and noticed the front end rattle/vibration. It has 32 miles on it and built in June '02. My 8.1 had 7000 miles and I never felt it. (Instead of steering rattle it had developed an appetite for 5w-30. 10 mpg and 2.9% for 60 months convinced me to trade.) Is the steering vastly different under the Duramax trucks? Could it be a flaw that only shows up under the greater weight of Duramax up front? I'm going to drive and enjoy my truck for a while and then have it looked at. Maybe by then there will be a clearer picture of the problem and the fix.

'02 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4x4 ext cab long bed
Black with Nuetral

MikeT
07-18-2002, 06:20
Looks like GM has finally issued a TB for the steering rattle. Here's the link to the GM Tech Link article:

http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst04

You will need Adobe Acrobat installed to read the article.

Mike .T.

MikeT
07-18-2002, 06:21
Looks like GM has finally issued a TB for the steering rattle . Here's the link to the GM Tech Link article:

http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst04

You will need Adobe Acrobat installed to read the article.

Mike .T.

JaxMax
07-18-2002, 07:56
My truck has had the rattle since day 1. Truck built 10-00. Had intermediate shaft replacement a long time ago, still rattles. Mostly on slows turns, either direction. I've just learned to live with it.