PDA

View Full Version : Allison Transmission problem

scsparts
01-15-2003, 16:12
Copy of a email to GMC I deleted the names of people and dealer, read warranty section in your owners manual concerning the replacement components
1/15/03
Dear GMC,
I purchased a new 2500 Sierra HD on 12/21.
On 12/24 I discovered an oil leak at the transmission and tried calling dealer they were closed for holiday. On 12/26 I called service department at the dealership and made an appointment to have it checked for Friday 12/27.
The dealer found what looked like a seal leak at the torque converter and said I would need to bring the truck back on 12/30 and pick up a rental while they were doing the repairs.
The dealer called on 12/30 and explained the transmission case is cracked and it will need a new transmission and one was ordered. They also said it would be a couple of days because of the holiday.
I asked the service advisor if they will be installing a brand new transmission in the truck since it only had 374 miles on and he said it would be a GM replacement part.
On 1/10 I got the truck back.
On 1/15 I installed step bars on the truck and noticed the transmission has a remanufactured tag on it and I thought it would be a new transmission.
I reviewed my warranty book that came with the truck and read the part about replacement components used on new vehicles and was surprised to discover the use of rebuilt or remanufactured parts could be used under warranty.
I called service advisor and asked him to explain why a remanufactured part was installed and he explained that the transmission case was the only part that was probably used and all internal parts were new.
I asked him if he could give me a document or bulletin for my records so that 3 years down the road after warranty expires and I try to sell the truck and someone and they should happen to ask why there is a rebuilt and I explain that it had a new transmission installed at 374 miles.
But actually it was rebuilt / remanufactured unit that could have had a 100,000+ miles on before it was rebuilt / remanufactured and installed in my truck any chance that used parts could be fatigued? And I am selling a truck with 40,000 miles on the odometer but how many miles on parts in the transmission?
I guess what I am asking for is what proof do I have that shows the transmission has all new internal components?
Just curious of forums comments

Captain Mal
01-15-2003, 18:29
SCSPARTS,

I read in an earlier post that all the replacement transmissions were marked as yours was. It was also noted that they were totally new transmissions.

I'm sure someone with firsthand knowledge will respond in kind.

It would be highily unusual for someone buying the used truck to examine the transmission in detail. I don't think it will ever be an issue.

'01 D/A GMC ext. 4x4 sb

permx11
01-16-2003, 13:55
I had basically the same situation, first drive off the dealer lot the tranny didnt work right at 19 miles when I took delivery, had to drive it that weekend and took it back to the dealer with 500 miles on it, they had it a week and replaced it with the allison retrans transmission. I doubt it is brand new. Seems to run hotter than the defective tranny.

MountainMax
01-17-2003, 13:13
This is a topic that has come up before. You can do a search and sort thru the msgs. My understanding is that the replaced transmissions are labled remanufactured on the housing but are in fact a new transmissions. You are by no means the first to have concerns on that issue here. Big Al (moderator) can you elaborate?

BigAl
01-22-2003, 09:25
scsparts,

Crawl under your carriage and copy the replacement trans Serial Number, and post it here. For a nickel, I'll tell ya if it's new or not (but I'm bettin it's a new one)! smile.gif

permx11
01-22-2003, 15:36
BigAl,

My Vin is 1gthk23153f137417 the allison trans serial # is 9610010248 (I think)

BigAl
01-23-2003, 10:18
You owe me a nickel smile.gif ...............it's a new tranny re-identified as "remanufactured" just to differentiate between the originally installed tranny and the replacement unit. Not-to-worry!