PDA

View Full Version : Timbren Rubber Springs

JF
01-15-2003, 18:24
Anyone using Timbren front helper springs on their DMax? Am looking for some additional support for plowing, but do not want to stiffen ride when not transporting plow.

GM Smitty
01-15-2003, 20:54
JF- I have them. Don't even know they are there when the plow isn't on, and definitely help support the front end with it on. My D/A is the the first truck I put them on, and after seeing how well they work I put them on my other two IFS plow trucks.

Maverick
01-15-2003, 22:09
I plow with my 3500 and put them on also. Like Smitty said, you can't tell when the plow is off but they sure help when its on.

BobNelson
01-15-2003, 22:31
Maverick.... I also have them on a 3500, but had to cut about 1" off the bottom. Too much thud at first. Now a very smooth ride. Probably lifts the camper by 3/4" from no timbren.

Did you remove any material?

mowser
01-16-2003, 05:58
BobNelson;
I had the Timbren rubber springs installed on the rear end of my truck, and I too am getting the "THUD" that you experienced. Trimming an inch off of them, sounds like a great idea, did you take them off before you trimmed them, or did you just cut them in the installed location? smile.gif

mowser

GM Smitty
01-16-2003, 08:35
Bob and mowser- I think JF is talking about the timbrens for the front suspension (to help with the weight of the plow). I don't have any experience with them on the rear of the truck (I installed air bags to help out back there)

Maverick
01-16-2003, 13:35
I only have them on the front. The 3500 stock rear suspension holds all the pin weight I have put on it so far (over 9,000 lbs) just fine. No experience with any rear sus. mods.

JF
01-16-2003, 16:57
Installed the Timbrens today (fronts). Rides pretty good. Real easy installation. Might get a chance to try them out with the plow on this weekend. Maybe now that I've installed them, it won't snow. :D

jjackson
01-17-2003, 14:16
JF and all...I had the "thud" problem also My Timbren's were initally installed on the rear of my 2500HD'03 with a 1" "donut" type rubber spacer ring at the top. That worked great w/my 2400 lbs 5th wheel pin weight, but when I unhooked, the Timbren's were running w/in 1/4 inch of the axel. I removed the spacer and will be hooking back up when headed towards Daytona in mid February, but my concern is now that the truck is going to go "down" an add'l inch when the weight is applied. If that is the case, I'm probably going to return them and go w/air lifts.

John

technician
01-18-2003, 17:53
Hey All !

I own a 3500 D-max/Als which I plow & sand commercial lots with.
I installed timbrens in front to help with my 9' Fisher. They work great, no affect to ride quality. I also installed rear timbrens to help with my 10,000# sand/salt spreader. They however destroyed my ride. The mistake I made was that I bought the "Tow Truck" 9000# model. These are designed to ride approx. 1/2" off perch. This causes them to bang when the truck is lightly loaded.I even took out the 1" spacer this helps but now the truck rides lower when loaded. Timbren offers a 6000# model that I have installed in an older 86 3500 dump and they are much better rideing. I wish I bought these for my 02.