PDA

View Full Version : Tire size w/ locking diff?

Piney
06-12-2002, 22:39
I had a flat last weekend on the rear tire and since I'm running 265s and my spare is a 245, I went through the hassle of putting the spare on the front and moving the front to the rear. I did this because I didn't know if I could possibly damage the rear end by running different size tires with the locking differential. Was this necessary or would different size tires not have any adverse effects?

Andy Chesek
06-12-2002, 23:20
You did the right thing by moving the 265 front tire to the rear and placing the 245 spare up front. I don't know how much damage would have occurred had you not done the switch with the front tire, it may have been nominal at best, but your truck is new so why chance it? Your decision was textbook.

Black Dog
06-13-2002, 10:31
The difference between a 245 and a 265 would not cause any problem whatsoever with the factory locker. There has to be a much bigger rpm difference between the two axle shafts than what you could ever cause with different size tires to make the thing lock. Also, it will not lock above 25 - 30 mph, and that is the only time you would get much of an rpm difference at all.