PDA

View Full Version : Worn out Tire story

Ram
08-14-2002, 16:46
I checked my rear tires yesterday and the tread wear bars were showing. I only have 9000 miles on the truck.

Took the truck to the dealer. The service manager looked at the rear tires and immediately told me he would give me 2 new tires for the rear. I didn't even have to ask.

Since I haven't smoked them, not even a tiny bit, I was concerned about what could have caused this. I questioned the service manager on could it be something wrong with the axle, suspension, alignment what?

He said nothing's wrong with the truck. Basically just the way I drive. Obviously he thinks I burned them up, but I really don't drive that way.

He also went on to make it perfectly clear that he is not fixing anything, he's just giving me new tires. Told me that 5 times.

I'm bothered because he told me "Have to get the truck in the air to get some numbers". Now, if its only a tire issue, why would you have to do that. If it was only numbers off the tires, don't need a lift for that. Was he collecting part numbers or something? Does GM suspect a problem with these truck? I don't know.

Anybody else have a similar issue? I really don't want to be getting new tires every 10k. If I rotated them, it would mean I would be replacing every 20k, that' not really any better.

Oh, the fronts are just fine.

CSDMAX
08-14-2002, 17:45
Ram,

Don't be alarmed...there is a specific number (which is needed for warranty purposes) on the inside of the factory OEM tires and you will get an OEM replacement for the two that are worn out. Note that they are different tires than those which you would buy from an aftermarket tire distributor. I had a warranty replacement due to someone gouging the sidewall before it even left the lot. Anyway, the stealers technician had to crawl underneath with a flashlight (without a lift) to pull the numbers. Sounds like they were just makin it easier to get the info.

Don

NutNbutGMC
08-14-2002, 20:04
^...Michelins... 'Nuff said.

FrankA
08-14-2002, 20:18
My tires were gone at 15,000. i did'nt smoke them and I rotated them reguarly. Also kept tire pressure at 70PSI. :confused:

andy911
08-15-2002, 07:07
I can't see a Dealer or GM giving away new tires unless there is a reason. Maybe there is a hidden recall that they don't want to publicize - given all the grief that the Ford/Firestone fiasco caused. :rolleyes:
At least this appears to be a wear issue and not safety related. What make were they anyway??

GreyPower3500
08-15-2002, 11:43
Whew! 9000 miles and they're toast ???

Errrr.... Any chance there's a teenager in yer house who's stamped out an extra key? :) Maybe a crafty in-law who's borrowed the truck overnight?

I've nearly killed off these useless OEM Wrangler SR's on my dually, but it's taken nearly two years and I'm some kinda disappointed with GM about putting 215's on there in the first place...

Best of luck.

NutNbutGMC
08-15-2002, 21:31
^...62k on the old set, as of today. I could have stretched it to 70k. Four new 265 skins, dollars 729.37, includes mount, balance, and lifetime service. Not too bad. I'll expect another 70k out of these.