PDA

View Full Version : Transmission updates

Hunter
08-14-2002, 16:58
Taking my 2001 D/A in tomorrow to have the computer reflashed for 5-4 shift busyness. I talked to the service dept today he said they could reflash but wasn't very familar with it. Any advice or bulletin #s I should give him so he doesn't mess it up?

csimo
08-14-2002, 17:40
The dealer doesn't have a choice to pick and choose the updates. They enter the VIN and download all updates into the TACH II and then upload them to your truck.

When they install the updates it's a cumulative update that includes all previous updates.

Hunter
08-14-2002, 19:59
Thanks for the info csimo. Also it it normal to have a small hesitation between Reverse and drive?

Hunter
08-16-2002, 18:30
I got the reflash done but can't tell any diff.
still shifts out of 5 as soon as hit a hill
loaded. Anyone else have this problem or has the
upgrade helped? The service mgr.said they
reprogramed TCM. Should they have reprogramed
the ECM also?

Buckman
08-19-2002, 09:30
Hunter,

As mentioned in several postings in the past couple of months; it is very important that the dealer update both the TCM (transmission control module) and the engine control module to realize the full effect of the calibration updates. Depending on how steep a grade and how heavy you are loaded; the 5-4 shift might be normal.

Have a great day!! :D

george morrison
08-19-2002, 17:47
I called on a Duramax fleet today of 50+ trucks. Of 50 Duramax service vehicles, 20 have had their transmissions replaced before 30,000 miles.......
These are very very bad numbers..
Are there updates?
The company was not advised/was not able to find out if updates were made to the new transmissions, etc..
George

Idle_Chatter
08-19-2002, 18:43
Wow! Those are some scary numbers, George!! I had my truck into the dealer last week for the sudden/harsh first gear downshift TCM reflash and it's never shifted better. Was a little hinky when I first got it back (figure it was in relearn mode) and would really shift hard up from first to second. Now it's smooth as a baby's butt through the gears - seems to lug more in 5th without shifting down as quickly as it used to on my morning commute through rolling hills. It also hasn't "lurched" like I've been rear-ended like it used to shifting late to first at stoplights. Great and just keeps getting better at 30,000 miles!

mackin
08-19-2002, 19:20
WOW sure is a 40% return........Seems odd compared to what I've seen here, way less then a 1% return...Less then one handful really not counting Trussman......Must be a lot of angry Ford and Dodge loyalist employees showing company insubordination with management decision to change fleet brands so they are driving around in first gear until it overheats and blows......Yea that's it ...... tongue.gif

MAC :D

mark45678
08-19-2002, 20:09
I would try putting the trans into relearn mode! It seams to cure a lot of little problems like sloppy or firm shifts....

deadlyman
08-20-2002, 03:02
I also had the updates done and now it hazes through the gears and sound like it is boggin down th motor.

george morrison
08-20-2002, 21:19
The fleet that I mentioned with all the Allison failures is not a tow fleet or one that puts undue strain on the transmissions other than multiple drivers. I was pretty shocked to hear the number of replaced transmissions + even with a 50+ truck fleet no recommendations from GM as to changes in operational procedures (they have 200+ 6.5TD engined vehicles with many engine problems but relatively few transmission problems) or updates to prevent the good transmissions from failing.
By failing, I mean failing! Like, not going forward when put in D...
George

george morrison
08-21-2002, 13:56
I received a call this morning from an Allison representative pursuing my comments regarding the D-max fleet with the high failure rates with the Allison 1000 series D-Max. I was most impressed with Allison's immediate response/interest in finding out what the problem is with this fleet, in a very positive manner..
To be continued.....
George Morrison