PDA

View Full Version : Frame Coating...

JB 2500HD CC
01-14-2003, 13:07
With about 14,000 miles on my truck, I'm now seeing spots on the frame where the coating is coming off and starting to rust. I like to keep my truck clean and the frame looking as nice as possible... not that this truck was cheap or anything!!!

Has anyone touched up this spots before? What did you use?

With the trucks sitting high up, you can really see all of this, I think it looks crapy!

Any idea's?

rtquig
01-14-2003, 13:37
I've used flat black spray paint that my friend gave me from his body shop. I had to paint the frame where diesel spilled when I was changing the filter.

esmo77
01-15-2003, 18:03
You may be able to find some frame coating at a semi tralier shop; it is usually gray in color but you could touch it up with a little black paint.

TraceF
01-15-2003, 18:43
WMart has spray can rubberized undercoat for like $6 a can. Works good. Seems like mostly glue!

Kennedy
01-15-2003, 19:11
A siphon type blow gun and a mix of drain engine and gear lube/grease will coat it well and tack up some dirt to form a good covering layer.

This topic was just discussed in the 2500/3500 drivetrain forum which is actually the correct one for these type issues.

Running boards will hide the frame...

MadDuraMax
01-17-2003, 18:58
I'm getting older and only remember half of what I forgot. But the frame coating on our trucks looks very similar to a product called Tectyl manufactured by Ashland Oil. There's another product called "Self Heal" but I cant remember the manufacturer.

Both products perform well and are used in HD trucking and container chassis manufacturing.

Mark

403turbo
01-18-2003, 09:41
I have used tectyl at work for coating machined iron parts for shipment overseas. It is an excellent rust preventative but kinda stinky and rather thick, I wouldn' want to try putting on the frame of my truck, but if you got it on it would work great!

JimWilson
01-19-2003, 14:11
I use the rubberized undercoating too.