PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster help.

Swamp Donkey
08-14-2002, 23:11
I am now driving a Duramax truck for work. Just last week, all the gauges stopped working except for the oil pressure and volt or ammeter.

No speedo, tach, engine or tranny temp, fuel gauge, gear selector indicator, odomemter, message center, or any other idiot lights exept a check engine light whenever it feels like it. The truck is 2 weeks old and has also experienced the 3rd gear limp mode from a wet/muddy connection at the tranny. 1,200 miles so far. I checked fusesbut no luck there. Wiggled some wires behind dash...... still no luck.

Suggestions???????

One more question.... My boss was happy because the odometer was not showing anything in the display. I have a funny feeling one of the other computers is still storing that data. What's your take on that?

ndamico
08-14-2002, 23:51
I would take it to the dealer...the odo is actually in the IC, so i doubt its racking up miles smile.gif

Red Diesel
08-15-2002, 07:54
My truck is at the service dept. as I type. The speedometer is acting up something fierce. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago while using the cruise control and the truck started changing speed erratically. I happened to notice that the speedometer was acting up while it was doing it. I disengaged the cruise and the needle still was jumpy. Last week they put a new speed sensor in it. That didn't help at all. They think it may be a problem with the speedo itself. The service rep. said he wasn't sure but he thinks the cruise input speed sensor feeds off of the speedometer itself through a buffer. We will see if they get it cured this time.

Heavy Duty Neil
08-15-2002, 10:38
Swamp Donkey, did your radio also shut off during all of this?

My '01 1500HD had the same thing happen with the instrument cluster, only showed oil pressure & volts. It only seemed to happen when I turned the radio up a little loud. The dealer found that the radio fuse in the underhood electrical center wasn't pushed into the female slot very snug. They just pryed the connector out a little so it would hold the fuse in tight.

I also questioned them about the odometer, because I probably put 500-600 miles on it with the cluster not working, and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

Swamp Donkey
08-15-2002, 14:55
Thanks guys.... as for the radio, it works just fine. But I will check a few more fuses. The boss will be happy that no KM's are being racked up! He may never take it back to the dealer. It is on a 6 month lease the headed to the States..........

1BADDMAX
08-15-2002, 15:22
When I had my 99 Z71 I had a couple of gauges in the cluster stop working. Come to find out it was the cruise control fuse!!

Turbo Al
08-15-2002, 17:53
Don't forget to check the fuses that are actually in the cab of the truck -- a lot of them control the instument panel funtions.

On both sides of the dash (most on driver's side) there are two small panel doors/hatches -- you have to have the doors (driver' or passenger) to see them.

I have had the whole dash off and it was no real big deal.

Turbo Al

thechevyhdman
08-18-2002, 10:09
It will still rack up miles. My whole instrument cluster had to be replaced. If they didnt have a sure way to tell even if the thing is broken, what mileage it has... people would claim that they had 2,000 miles on there truck when it happened. Gm isnt too dumb with stuff like that Im sure they have other means of telling. A friend of mine had a "person" put in a switch to shut the odometer off. The odometer itself wouldnt record the mileage done when it was off. But in checking with the tech II Car Doctors can find it if they look.

Modified
01-06-2004, 17:24
I was talking to a co-worker with a 2003 D/A who also had intermittent gauge failures when starting. The Dealer insisted on replacing the gauge assembly, and after that did nothing to fix the failure, the Dealer found the Battery-Right was defective. It appears replacing the battery cured the problem.

With at least one bad battery, the voltage will dip lower when starting. We all know how low voltage dips when starting, and how long it takes to get back to 14.5-15V on a cold start, due to Glow Plugs and Air Intake Heater load. I have also heard, (but haven

Ned
01-07-2004, 12:32
SwampDonkey, when we purchased the truck, noticed the brake light was on all the time, as everything else was working would just wait until needed additional service. The ac wasn't cooling sufficiently so took the truck to the dealer to be checked; told them the light was on; the first thing the tech did was blame the trailer brake wiring harness as the problem; explained it was on before the harness was installed. Advised him the harness had to be purchased from them and didn't come with the new truck. Unplugged harness took the fuse out and of course the light was still on by this time was gitting a little steamed but tried to calm myself and walked away. Was informed the cluster assembly was shorted and needed a new one. He had taken out the other one so left the truck; was supposed to overnight and be ready the next day. Called the next day and was informed was sent the wrong cluster assembly. Called the next day cluster hadn't arrived. Service writer called the next day and truck was ready. On the way home all the gages were way off, oil pressure was max so started checking it out. The overdrive lockout indicator light wasn't working. As it was late discided to take it back in the next morning. Took it in and told the service writer the overdrive lockout indicator light wasn't working. Service writer told the tech, came back and stated the tech said it wasn't supposed to be lit. This time told the writer to tell the tech to go back to school or better yet would show him in the book. He finally checked it and it was shorted also; had to order a new one. Called the next day and the one they got in was broken in transit and had to order a new one. Installed a good one and haven't been back yet; AC is still not cooling sufficiently though; isn't a TBS out on that? Sorry about the long post but that my story and I'm sticking to it.
Still love the DURAMAX
All I can say is s***happens
Ned