PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 Transfer Cases

gene smith
12-24-2003, 11:12
To all that have 4X4s
Anyone having trouble? 03 d/a dually 4X4 that has had 4X4 problems from day one. 70 mph low range light comes on, instant hart attack. After numerous trips to dealer this is finally repaired but the 4 wheel drive won't work, after numerous visits to dealer and bitchin to factory rep they extend our warranty, 65,600 miles got stuck in sand 4X4 not working, called wrecker, sent to dealer, dealer says transfer case bad, wait 1 1/2 weeks for rep to say ok to replace, this is the surprise. This has been an ongoing problem with numerous 4X4s gas and diesel. The oil pump wears a hole in the case and all lube is lost. There is a fix on the way that will be here in March of 04 and this problem shows around 50 to 60K miles, surprise, you get to pay if you don't have extended warranty. They want to put old part #case back in ours and the fight is on again. We want the new fix and they are saying they are sorry but it won't be here til late March. We are assuming the factory is wanting to sell the new fix to the ones out of warranty. Call this lady at the factory and don't take no for an answer and possibly you may get an extension, we did. By the way the fix will be around 3800.00 Call Debbie Palmer @ 1/316/667-7153 and keep calling until you get satisfaction. This is a company truck that we use every day in our business.
Geno

MaxACL
12-27-2003, 10:23
Gene,

What oil pump wears a hole?

gene smith
12-27-2003, 14:34
Max
the transfer case has a pump in it, ithas a snap ring and a pin that is the problem. there is a photo of the 2 year ongoing problem on the diesel place that explains. this problem occurs in all 2001 to currant gm models gas an diesel.

Geno

MaxACL
12-27-2003, 17:06
Let me see if I got this right... There's a snap ring and pin that causes the pump to fail, the General knows of it and we (the customer/owners) are left with the bill for repairs?

I just paid off my 150,000 extended warranty and the company goes "Belly Up" (Warranty Gold) and now the little things start to go South?

No wonder they call my Scrooge at Christmas time!

Mike....(baaah!) :(

MaxACL
12-27-2003, 17:08
By the way, could you point my the way to that photo you spoke of?

Mike.............. (Baaaaaaahhhhh Hum Bug!)

battmain
12-29-2003, 15:20
Anyone know if the pump makes a noise when the pin goes? I have a sound like the fan is hitting something and it varies with speed. Only happens when in gear. And the fan area appears to be clear.

Duramaxdiesel
12-29-2003, 16:28
Battmain

My truck makes the exact noise you talk about. Thought it was normal but I will make an appointment to get it checked.

battmain
01-05-2004, 15:31
Bump. Anybody?