PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Tires = Better Mileage

afp
12-28-2003, 18:51
I have read a bunch where guys wit larger tires were repoting worse mileage. This has not been the case with me. Going from 265s to 285s has increased my mileage a bit. I run Regular Juice level 4 all the time. So far, my best on the Freeway has been 21.9, which is up a little from my previous best of 21.6 with the 265s. My city mileage seems to be really improving, but I need another tank to make sure what I'm seeing is really accurate.

Are you guys with bigger tires and worse mileagecorrrecting your miles driven for the larger tire size?

Blaine

Turbo Al
12-29-2003, 11:02
Since I put the 165's on my mpg has tanked It was checked over 7 tank fulls and it has really gone down --- did I mention that I was on hol. hunting, in 4x4 alot & pulling a 19 foot trailer with 1,000 lbs in the box?? :rolleyes:
Unfortunately I don't go very far these days -- work 3 days a week and 15 mins from here so a tank last me up to 6 weeks so no way to grt an accurate check of mpg.

Al

mdadgar
12-29-2003, 14:29
I would expect mileage to improve when going to tires larger than stock. The larger rolling circumference will allow you to use fewer revs to travel the same distance. Freeway speeds bring you closer to the torque peak of the motor.

The downside is that larger tires are wider, so you're increasing the already-poor wind resistance of the truck.

My mileage has not changed appreciably. My speedo is corrected using a Predator set to the stock programming. But I've also got a bit of a lead foot, so ...

- Mark

Jorday
12-30-2003, 11:49
I installed 285/75 bgf mud terrains on my truck. It seems to be using more fuel with the bigger tires.

afp
12-30-2003, 12:38
Jorday,

Have you been applying the 7-8% correction factor?

Blaine