PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Gas Motor

TooMuchMuscle
01-17-2003, 19:24
The Duramax reminds me of the old Ford 427 Side-oiler with its cross bolted main caps (pretty darn close anyways). I was wondering if you could change the pistons and top end and have one hell of a gasser. I know they dont have any gasser heads but money can get you anything. What do you guys think?

SteveO
01-18-2003, 08:39
TooMuchMuscle,

No disrespect but you could not chase me down and hand me the keys to a Gasser smile.gif

Duramax will out pull, out run any production GAS engine in a pickup why would you want to redesign the wheel to convert it to a gasser?

Like I said no disrespect, Gas is not for me>>>> smile.gif

a5150nut
01-18-2003, 11:52
SeaveO
Dont be so hard on the guy, look where he's from, Southern Califoria. You have to understand ALL they breath down there is GAS fumes!

But at least you can see what yoou are breathing!!

JF
01-18-2003, 15:12
Why?? :confused:

TooMuchMuscle
01-20-2003, 12:42
Diesels have there place in life and so do gassers. Dont get me wrong, I love my truck and the 20 MPG I get on the highway, but when it comes time furnish a motor for my 69 Camaro, I would really be interested in doing a Duramax gasser. 1000HP would be easy if you could get a set of gasser heads on the motor. The bottom end will hold up to almost any horsepower it sure would be cool.

My 01 DMax is the best truck I have ever owned. I will never go back to a gasser truck, but for speed and to be different, a DMax gasser would be the way to go!!! ;)

WKener
01-20-2003, 14:17
The main areas I would be concerned with...

1) We know that the bottom end will hold up to plenty of POWER, but will it hold up to the RPMs needed to create that much power from gasoline. With so much rotating mass turning via such a long stroke, I don't see gas combustion as being up to the task.

2) You would need to fab up your spark-ignition system... Maybe you could adapt spark plugs to where your glow plugs are. Just an idea. However, you are going to need to time the spark somehow.

3) Fuel management/delivery is much different on your current motor than would be required for a gas engine.

4) You will need to incorporate a throttle body of some sort to maintain the proper stoichiometric values.

5) Complete redesign of heads/cam to allow for the proper induction/exhaust setup.

-There is plenty that I have neglected to mention, but I figure these reasons alone would tell me to stay away from such a conversion. Not to mention... How would you shoehorn a dmax block into a '69 Camaro?

I must admit, I have pondered similar questions in search of the ultimate trasplant, but it just seems too hard/impractical to be worth it.

Wes

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: WKener ]</p>

poorloser
01-20-2003, 16:32
ToMuchMuscle

It can be done rather easily. I tractor pulled Super Stock for 20 years and we converted diesel motors to alky all the time and don’t let them tell you there is less power in a sparkplug engines. They will not even let the alky burners run with the diesels on the national circuit. No contest! Boy I bet this will stir up a hornet’s nest.