PDA

View Full Version : Towing Up Real Hills

Lone Eagle
08-17-2002, 13:39
We just got back from an 800 mile trip from Northern Utah, up through the Tetons, Yellowstone Park, Cody,Wy and over South Pass down to Rock Springs. I thougt I had been up some big long hills until I hit South Pass. There are actually several long pulls that start at 4300' and go up to 7550' in a few mile stretch. My best guess is they were 5 to 7% grades. My Wildcat 27RL grosses out at a little over 10K. On two of the bigger hills the DMAX went down to 3rd gear but there was nothing I couldn't pass at will. This truck is fun to drive and never wore me down like towing with my gassers. Later! Lone Eagle :D :D

Raptorrider2001
08-17-2002, 14:40
Lone Eagle- This is a little off the subject you just posted, but we are looking at a 27' Wildcat also. Are you pleased with yours? Have you had many things go wrong. I spoke with a factory rep. at the Ft. Worth RV show and he pointed out some things we really like. Especially the torsion suspension on the bumper pull model (27RK). Do you like the way it pulls and what kind of hitch do you have. I guess I should have asked first if it is 5th wheeler? At this point we think we want a bumper pull so as not to have to give up the pickup bed and can use it to carry my 4 wheeler, etc. What kink of mileage do you get pulling it? Thanks for any input. :confused:

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Raptorrider2001 ]</p>

Lone Eagle
08-17-2002, 16:15
Raptorrider2001, My Wildcat 27RL is a 5th wheel with a Colibert adaptor and a B&W turnover ball. It pulls great even in the heavy cross winds and we had a lot of that in Wyoming on this trip. I averaged 11.81 on this trip and I personally think this was great mileage. Take a look at www.wildcatonline.com for better info. Cougar is one that directly compares to the Wildcat in price and quality. Later! Lone Eagle smile.gif

Bobcat698
08-18-2002, 17:08
Out of curiousity Lone Eagle, will your Duramax/Allison hold overdrive on flat ground?
Just curious because I have heard mixed reports, I am wondering if it will hold overdrive with a 14,000lb load.

Thanks

Garrett

Lone Eagle
08-19-2002, 21:24
Yes it will Garrett. It will pull 5th on the flat in a pretty good head wind also. I usually run at 68 mph. It will stay in 5th in rolling hill country also. I have 13K on it and it seems to still be getting better. Later! Lone Eagle :D

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]</p>

MNBowTie
08-20-2002, 21:10
Raptorrider2001,

Just thought you would like my experience with a similar trailer. I have a 2001 Cougar 5th wheel 28'. For the most part I'm fairly satisfied with the trailer. Only 1 complaint my hot water lined sprung a leak. The line was to short and the hole it went through had a plastic trim piece that was stapled down around it and it eventually poke a hole from the staple. Of course after the warranty period ended. As for the Dmax/Ali :D :D :D (see sig) If you like here is the link I posted on Aug. 08, for mileage figures.
http://forum.6265dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003829

Happy Trails

MNBowTie
08-20-2002, 21:13
Sorry,

try this link:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003829

hammer
08-21-2002, 07:33
Lone Eagle,If your truck isnt shifting to 4th on hills or at a heavy head wind you arnt working it hard enough.Dosnt sound like you have much for weight.My trailer alone weighs in at 17,600.The total gross load Ive got is around 26,800.Put that kind of load on your truck & see how she works then.She'll down shift then I'll guarantee you.I can hold 5th if Im on a level road & no resistance whatsoever.The least little resistance & down she goes to 4th.Fuel mileage has bene around 9-10 m.p.g. pulling.Empty around 17.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

Tractorhauler
08-21-2002, 07:34
Bobcat,
My dmax with Juice will hold 5th on level ground at 75 MPH towing 16000 lb.
Happy driving...safely..

Regards,

Tractor hauler

johns
08-22-2002, 09:58
If you folks are looking for info on RV's, try going over to:

www.irv2.com

and go into the FORUMS section. Lots of info there

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

Brucec
08-23-2002, 08:05
http://www.rvnet.com/forums/

Also good RV information.

hogbreth
08-25-2002, 09:38
I've been on the road for 3 months pulling a 16,000# 5er. started in Florida with no juice and it would hold OD on flat ground, but it would shift down to 4th going over overpasses. 6weeks ago bought the juice I now pull in OD level one T/H. I have been out west ID, MT etc and I stay in OD 90% of the time hills or not. Starting 2 weeks ago I've had the Duramax quit 4 times when I let up on the accelerator. Reading these posts I wonder if the juice is the problem

trout49
08-29-2002, 15:42
Question for hammer, and all who pull BIG fifth wheels.
I have been reading on rvnet.com that it is illegal to tow over the mfg tow ratings. Do you feel in control of the load you are towing? And can you stop that much weight in a reasonable distance.
The reason I ask is we have our eye on a 35ft Teton 5er, with a gross wt of 15900. After reading over on that site I am begining to wonder if we shouldn't scale down a bit.
And are any you concerned about leagal liability?
We shure would like to to get that teton.
IT seems on the rvnet forum they advise a medium duty truck for anything over 13000lbs.

SoCalDMAX
08-30-2002, 00:12
Trout49,

I don't tow a 5er, but I've read a few posts on the RV sites. I've been reading some rave reviews of a fairly new model called Titanium from an experienced co. called Glendale, out of Canada. The fit, finish, quality, layout and prices are supposedly excellent. They are considerably lighter than others of equal size.

The trailer actually extends partially over the cab, with the bedroom over the cab and 2 "step-ups" at the front. It handles better, cuts the wind better and is shorter from pin to rear than other 5ers of equal overall length.

You can find a lot more info on the RV sites and there's even a Yahho! group for them.

Regards, Steve

hammer
08-30-2002, 09:33
Trout49,I have drivin over the road rigs for about 18 yrs. & just retired from it 2 yrs. ago.Far as the truck & load,you should try to match as closely as you can to the weight ratings for the truck & trailer together.Usually the ratings that are on these trucks are within safe spec's for towing.If the truck is heavy enough & has the power to pull the load you can get away with a little over the max weight that its capiable of handling.The most important stats is the axle weights.If you can balance it out fairly close to the truck & trailer spec's then you should have no problems towing your trailer.As far as stopping the load it all depends on the situation involved.When ya got 12 ton pushing you I dont think theres any small truck like a 3500 or equivlent to that that would stop you in a emerg.like if you were bobtailing with the truck itself.Even the big rigs are a factor when loaded.Far as gross over weight its your preferences that have to be chosen,in other words you have to decide what you want to do.I myself feel comfortable with running a little over gross but not enough were its gonna hamper the performance of the rig.90% of the time when I drove rig I was never legal on the gross side of the spec's.But then you dont have slidders under your trailer either so you can transfer weight from here to there.And far as braking goes if you get a good trailer brake system & its set up right it should work to the max potential it was designed for.Hope this helps ya out.What ever you decide youll have to live with it so its your pereference.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

trout49
08-30-2002, 09:47
Thanks hammer.

I have done some figuring, and I'm sure I can stay within the axle ratings of both the truck and trailer. Even though I will be over the 22000# gcwr. Even if I get weighed by the DOT, I think that is all they are concerned about. Not GCWR.
I think I feel better. I won't be over GCWR by that much. Again THANKS
I have a 2003 GMC 3500 SLT D/A. That should do the job. I really didn't want a MDT.

Lone Eagle
08-31-2002, 22:41
trout49, Post your question over on www.rv.net/forum. I think you will change your mind about trying to pull the whole world with a light duty truck. Later! Lone eagle ;)

Lone Eagle
08-31-2002, 22:46
hammer, I didn't say my truck didn't shift down on hills. I said it didn't shift on rolling hills. I pull the size trailer I like. If I had a 15.5K trailer I would pull it with a 4500. Later! Lone eagle ;)