PDA

View Full Version : New Frame Update

Mudflap
01-18-2003, 07:24
Many of you may remember that back in November, on a dark and stormy night, my 2001 DMax was hit by a six cylinder engine block that some s**thead had apparently dropped off of a truck. The impact wasted the main front cross member by the left front suspension mountings and split the front punkin open. The dealer wanted to put in a new frame, the insurance company demanded that the old frame be repaired (cut and paste). The dealer refused stating that the repair wouldn't be safe and I refused to have the work done anywhere else.

To shorten a long story, the insurance company finally relented after two wasted weeks and we went with the new frame. This meant that the truck had to be completely disassembled and rebuilt. Trust me, there is nothing quite so disturbing as seeing parts of your DMax spread out over two buildings.

All of the work was done or overseen by one very finicky man who wanted it done right and I didn't pester him. I now have my hand built truck back after almost 7 weeks with no squeaks or rattles and it seems to track better than it did before. It is notable that the rear brake rotors were badly pitted and in generally worse shape than the fronts after 51,000 miles (I have ordered new Bendix stuff). Also, the brake bleed screws were just about welded to the calipers with rust, you may want to check yours.

There are dealers out there who will fight for their customers, Banks Chevrolet in Champion, Ohio ranks high on that list. As for insurance companies......

mackin
01-18-2003, 07:30
Mudflap

Glad to here it all worked out !!!!!!

MAC smile.gif

hoot
01-18-2003, 07:50
Wow....

Got any pictures?

Glad it all worked out.

Paintdude
01-18-2003, 08:46
Glad it worked out for ya..

Insurance companies......... I just turn down some work anymore(not often, but when the customer does not understand) as to battle and be bad mouthed by the insurance company..They make it such a hassle at times..The customer has to be involved and the shop has to protect itself..

SteveO
01-18-2003, 08:52
MudFlap,

Thanks for the report..

I know many of you loathe (being nice) the dealerships, Mudflap has proven the good dealers (they are out there) are still going to help; in this case refuse to do a patch job..

Good Luck... smile.gif

BTW: I encourage anyone to frequent this dealership if the opportunity arises

JimWilson
01-18-2003, 09:26
You seem to have been lucky enough to know of a fair and competent dealer. Given your situation that was a huge stroke of luck. Congrats!

3-Fan
01-20-2003, 12:06
The Bank's lived about 1/4 mile down the road from where I grew up. Great family. They are on their 3rd generation of family ownership. I bought my first new truck from them in 99 and my dad has bought dozens of vehicles from them. Just recently a new Duramax. Banks have always been extremely fair and willing to go the extra mile to make any of its customers happy just as Mudflap said. It's nice to be able to goto a dealership and actually see the owner still making deals and not just counting his money.