PDA

View Full Version : Banks Exhaust No Tip?

86gmc
08-17-2002, 18:07
Do we need the tip? My 4 inch Banks Monster Exhaust has been installed with "No Tip" for over 1200 miles now . Just got back from a 600 mile road trip each way. The Banks tailpipe is resessed about 2 inches shorter more closer to the outside of truck that the stock tailpipe. Result is black smoke over the rear 18 inches of lower body(mine has Summit White paint ) & rear of bumper also black.. Wanted to run without Monster 5 inch tip but might have to put that on to extend tail pipe out. Stock tailpipe never put black smoke on the paint or rear bumper. Is any one else getting black smoke all over their paint job with no tip installed? Ran truck to Texas at 75 to 80 MPH& fuel milage was 17.4 going down. Coming North set cruise control at 63 MPH and upped mileage to 21.8 MPG. pays to drive slower I guess but is hard to go slow on long trips but I did it. Take Care.

APR2000
08-17-2002, 18:31
I can't address your no tip causes soot question since I do have have the Banks exhaust --- yet. I did plan on not getting the 5" tip also, as it looks like a giant "ricer" fake. What do you think about the difference in noise level between stock and Banks? Do you see any other solutions other than the 5" condom?

mackin
08-17-2002, 19:58
86gmc,

Don't know how yours is but mine is Down and away ......Yet to see a soot build up and I keep my truck immaculate......See More D/A PICS for a good A$$ shot......As to where I pointed my tail pipe....I to do not like the FAKE tip....

MAC

86gmc
08-17-2002, 20:13
Sounds good & Throaty at idle. Only thing I notice is at 55 to 58 mph little bit of resonance drone that I did not have before .At 60 mph & above inside vehicle I did not notice noise level increase but there is probably a few decible increase anyway. Radio still easy to listen to at lower radio volume settings. If windows are rolled down and you go down small town main steet with buildings and push go pedal down you'll hear exhaust tone then but its sounds good. Quieter than my previous straight pipe Dodge Cummins 24 valve ,actually wish banks was a little louder. Without tip it's definitely tucked in towards body panel more would be nice if it was 3 inches longer from banks factory to use with out tip.I'd like to find about a 4&1/8 inch diameter stainless piece of pipe to slid over it. Tip looks tacky and like you say "Ricer tip". Without tip exhaust looks stock and what I call a "Sleeper"

86gmc
08-17-2002, 20:22
"Mackin" your exhaust pipe looks good on the black truck and resessed in as mine. I put my Banks 1&1/8 inch below body panel yours looks more like about 2 inches below body and pointing down more than mine . Will turn mine down some more tomorrow to look like yours. Then clean off soot and road trip again. Like that "Sleeper" exhaust look. Thank You!

tpitt
08-17-2002, 20:39
For you guys wanting tips. Try Summit Racing. They have inexpensive stainless steel tips. Actually I like my 4" to 5" stainless steel exhaust tips on my A.T.S. stainless duals. If I ever have a chance to take a picture and figure out how to post them I will. tpitt

DMAXDiva
08-17-2002, 20:50
Well, I do have the dreaded tip on my Banks, and some days I like it, most days I don't. We've been all through the cheesy clamp thing before, but even if I get around to grinding it off, I'm still not sure if I want to keep it. As tpitt mentioned, Summit has inexpensive stainless tips that are pretty darned good quality (had a 4.5 inch "cannon" on the stock system w/straight pipe before the Banks). At least the Summit tip is long (the old 4.5 was 18 inches long) vs. the stubby Banks tip which really does look like one of those ridiculous Ricer chromed cans... :rolleyes:

DMAXDiva
08-17-2002, 21:11
I just got off the phone with Summit, and they do indeed have the 18inch stainless tip (4inch inlet to 5inch outlet) in either straight or slant cuts. Here are the part numbers:

straight-cut: SUM-691122
slash-cut: SUM-691123

Both are $43.95...think I'm gonna order the slash-cut tomorrow!