PDA

View Full Version : turn a 2500HD into a 3500?

biker Wayne
01-20-2003, 13:01
I now tow a 9000# travel trailer, but I may tow a large 5th wheel in the future. The 5er king pin weight result exceeding the 2500HDs GVW. I'm looking at 2500 to 2800 pounds king pin weight. My truck weighs 7400 # with me and fuel.
What would be the problem with adding a conversion kit (advertised in Trailer Life mag) for dual wheels, fender extensions, different tires and a good set of air bags?
I've heard that except for the DRW and a second set of springs, the 2500HD is exactly like a 3500.
I know I could trade for a new truck, but I just got this one set up the way I like and don't really want the expense of trading.
What do you think?
Thanks for replies.

Black Dog
01-20-2003, 13:11
Throw on a set of E rated 265s - those have about a 3400 lb load rating. That gives you 6800 lb safe capacity on the rear axle. Add a set of air bags to help the springs out, and that pin weight should be no problem for your truck.

Onebigcanuck
01-20-2003, 13:49
I'm not an expert on this subject, but everything I've ever read says that you can't increase the GVW by modifying, wheels or tires etc. I used to have a 2001, 2500 and now have a 2003, 3500. I was always over on the GVW by close to 1,000 pounds on the 2001 but have 900 to spare on the 2003.

My 2 cents. :cool:

Roofer
01-21-2003, 08:10
From what I understand, you cannot increase the GVW on the door jam. Not saying it won't handle the load, it's just that the DOT won't see it that way. Alot of people haul over weight often, but if caught it can be a nice fine. I think most of it is for construction type haulers though. Most of the time you will be fine with the DOT as long as your truck looks somewhat new and capable. That is unless they are stopping everyone with a load or trailer.

jjackson
01-21-2003, 10:39
biker Wayne, I agree w/Black Dog, I pull a 33 ft 13K lbs. 5th Wheel that has at least that pin weight loaded. I have 285 "E" rated BFG's (and I beleive they are one of the few that have 3 ply sidewalls)on my 2500 and it handles it fine. I put the Timbren's (heavy duty rubber stops) on mine and it set nearly level, and rides good..only problem when I'm not towing I'm hitting the stops...I may consider going to the air bags..?

John

EXPSD
01-21-2003, 11:22
JJ DMAX I put the Timbrens on my 2500 when it was almost new so I was not sure if the somewhat hard bounce in the rear end on a rough road was the Timbrens or just the truck. Other wise they do a great job when pulling.

David Utz
01-21-2003, 12:18
Changing wheels and tires won't help the GVW. There is already a 1264 pound loss from what the tires/wheels/axle are rated and what my GVW will allow. The following is from a post I made on the subject of kingpin weight several months ago. "I was using the rear axle/tire rating not the GVWR. The sticker doesn't make much sense does it? I can put more than 2900 lbs safely on the rear axle and tires,(3042/tire * 2 - 3160 scaled rear axle weight = 2924 lbs payload). but the truck max payload load is only 1660? (9200 GVW - 7540 scales weight of the truck with me, the hitch, and full fuel). Where is the weak point? It's not the engine or drive train. It must be the brakes. With the trailer having it's own brakes, it's not the same as if I was hauling the same load in the box. While it does exceed the stated GVWR, It should not be overloading any of the truck parts including the brakes. Use which ever number you feel comfortable with."
Remember to check your trailer weight "loaded".
You can move some weight off the kingpin by loading the heavy stuff in the back but keep 15% minimum trailer weight on the kingpin.

Colorado Kid
01-22-2003, 10:54
I may be alone in thinking this, but I don't believe GVWR is relavant one a trailer is hooked up. The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)and GNW (Gross Vehicle Weight) definitions in the manual include a whole laundy list of things listed, but trailer tonge wieght or pin weight is NOT among the listed items. Trailer weight is specifically mentioned only in the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) and GCW (Gross Combination Weight) definitions.

If you are not exceeding any Gross Axel Weight Rating and you are not exceeding your GCWR then I don't think you're overloaded. The GVW cannot be measured without unhooking the trailer. With the trailer unhooked it is extremely unlikely that you are over the GVWR. :cool:

You go read the book and then come back and explain to me how I got it wrong. You won't be alone, there are nearly as many posts at irv2.com about "overloaded" single rear wheel trucks as there are in the horsepower/torque discussions here. :rolleyes:

biker Wayne
01-22-2003, 12:45
Colorado Kid,
GVWR applies whether you have nothing, a regular trailer or a 5th wheel hooked up. When you hook up a trailer, you will add weight to the truck. If you pull the truck axles onto a set of scales when the trailer is hooked up, you get the gross weight of the truck. If this gross weight exceeds the GVWR of the truck, then you are over loaded. Based upon GMs specs, you can be under the axle weight ratings and still exceed the GVWR of the truck. Specifically, the weight rating of the front axle is over 4000 pounds. The weight rating of the rear axle is over 6000 pounds. Add the 2 together and you exceed the 9200 pound GVWR of the truck.
In my case, I'm no where near the GCWR. With the motorcycle in the bed of the truck, I am slightly over the GVWR. If I get a 5th wheel with 2500 pound pin weight, I again will be over GVWR, but not over rear or front axle weight ratings. I think I would either have to add dual rear wheels, or tires with a higher load limit.
I was looking for confirmation that everything except dual wheels and springs were the same on the 2500HD as on the 3500.

johns
01-22-2003, 14:28
If you go to iRV2.com and do a search on this topic you may find something. There was a thread over there where there was some comapnay in Ohio (i think it was) that would somehow modify the truck so that it was recognized by the DOT and legally increased the GVW

konacat
01-22-2003, 19:05
Weigh everything! While towing, you are responsible to keep within the Legal Weight Limits for your vehicle. You must weigh axel weights (front and rear), pin or hitch weights, truck weight, and trailer weight. These weights must be compared to the posted dot weights for GVWR, GCWR, and axel weight of all vehicles.

Yes, our trucks are tough and can tow just about what ever you want to tow. The problem is that if you exceed these amounts you become ILEGAL. If something happens while you are towing and you are found to be over the legal weight limits then you open yourself up to a multitude of problems.

Would your insurance company cover any liabilities if your truck and trailer were over the limits? What about getting sued? Even if it was not your fault they can argue it could have been prevented if you were not over your limits.

Yes, I know this may sound silly, but it is something to think about. I read a forum for 5th wheel trailers and they take this matter very seriously. Over there they say if you exceed your limits you are giving up your rights.