PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Front End Question..

Piney
01-21-2003, 12:32
In an attempt to level the driver's side with the passenger side, I've adjusted my torsion bars. I had to turn the driver's side up 4 1/2 turns and back the passenger side off 3 1/2 turns. Does that sound right to have to turn one side up and the other down? I started out with the driver's side lower by an inch and now they are within 1/8". Just looking for some ideas...Thanks.

SoCalDMAX
01-21-2003, 13:04
I dunno, that sounds awful extreme.

I had to turn mine up, but the difference was only 2 or 3 turns from side to side, not 8. It's approx. 4 turns/inch of height. I don't understand how it would take 8 turns to correct for a 1 in. difference.

Regards, Steve

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

Black Dog
01-21-2003, 13:48
Yeah, that seems pretty extreme to me too. The problem that I see with leveling the truck that way is that I believe the factory adjusts the torsion bars to equalize the weight that is carried by each tire. That is why the trucks are not level. If you adjust the t-bars to level the truck, you could be carrying a majority of the weight of the truck on one front and one rear tire (fl and rr, or fr and lr). I would think that this could cause all kinds of handling and suspension problems.

Piney
01-21-2003, 14:44
It seemed extreme to me as well. I started out by just turning the driver's side up a couple of turns. Well..that raised the driver's side but the passenger side went up too. So I got into this deal of turning the passenger side back and turning the driver's side up to find the balance.

Blackdog, you mentioned leveling the truck 'that way'...do you think I should try to do it another way? I have no idea about the 'technical' issues regarding the front end. From what you said, it sounds like the front end should not be level. Is that right? Cause if it is, I can just put it back like I found it. I certainly don't wanna screw something up.

JimWilson
01-22-2003, 21:34
I cranked my DS 6.5 turns and the PS 1.5 to make it level side-to-side and front-to-back.

Adjusting your tbars isn't really a concern (unless you max out the adjusters) because you're not doing anything but limiting uptravel, so the normal range of motion is intact. But if I were you I'd think about an alignment right about now...

afp
01-22-2003, 21:44
It's important where you measure from. The fenders aren't necessarily even with each other. Mine are 1/2" different in height at the opening. When I level mine with the Hill Country Kit, I took my measurements from the frame rails.

Blaine