PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed clutch

mooley
08-29-2005, 15:56
I have a 01 Duramax w/ZF6. Clutch went out at 50K. Dealer replaced bad pressure plate. 8K later lost the clutch again. Replaced flywheel but not sure if they used the replaced clutch and p-plate. Now am experiencing a noise when engaging clutch. Dealer diagnosed as input shaft bearing going. I think more like the throw-out bearing. I need help. GM is just making things difficult instead of fixing the problem

DuramaxCheesehead
08-29-2005, 17:28
I'm in your boat too Mooley. :confused:
Truck just turned 59K and started making the dreaded clutch noise when the pedal is about 3/4's out. Doesn't make it all the time, usually only when letting the clutch out in neutral and sometimes starting in 2nd. Could be I just can't hear it in the higher gears. Took it into the dealer and they got the new designed flywheel on order. I'll know after Sept. 6th if that takes care of it. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

crafty
08-30-2005, 03:55
I had the very same noise as you both mentioned (see post "uneven idle" in Duramax 6600 section)
and asked to have the flywheel replaced to solve the problem. They put a new one in but the cause of the problem was the throwout bearing/clutch cylinder. This was a $275.00 (Can) part not under warranty. While in there they suggested that I put in a clutch. The old one was still okay so I took it back to keep as a spare. The truck only has 59,000 miles (95,000 kms)and I sure don't think the bearing should have gone so soon. I'm starting to think that I may need to sell this before it turns ten just so I won't have to go through all this cost a second time. Good luck guys. :D :D :D

mooley
08-30-2005, 05:52
Thanks for the input guys. They replaced my flywheel and everything the first time because they say there is a vibration from the original flywheel that shakes the pressure plate out of adjustment. I thought that the clutch/pressure pkate was pretty puny for something that has 500# of torque.

DuramaxCheesehead
08-31-2005, 18:26
Thanks to both of you guys. I'm going to push for a new throw-out bearing to be installed at the same time. Hopefully they go for it.