PDA

View Full Version : Steering box leaking ps fluid

c5dura
01-22-2003, 14:32
I was installing my Warn M15 last night and when I had the bumber off, I noticed that the steering box was covered with ps fluid. Upon closer examination, it appears that the leak is originating from the seal at the top cover. This is the cover with the adjustment bolt for taking the 'play' out of the steering.

My power steering pump was replaced 2000 miles ago as it seized up when I tried to get out of a ditch and the front wheels were stuck in a rut as I tried to turn 'em. Blew a ps hose at the same time, and that might have been what seized the pump.

Could the pressure that blew the hose and seized the pump have caused this seal to go? What are the odds that my steering box was damaged during the original incident?

When I got the truck back after the initial repair, the ps resovoir was filled all the way. I had to pull quite a bit of fluid out to get down to the "full cold" mark. Could this have been the cause of the new leak?

If I take the truck to the stealer and ask to have the leak fixed, can they do so without removing the bumper? The last thing I want is for them to pull my winch and mount off the truck to pull the bumper to gain access to the steering box. I just know they are going to screw that up if they try.

I'm hoping that the seal can be replaced without removing the bumper, although it looks like a real pain to do from the top without removing the intercooler plumbing and perhaps the lower radiator hose.

Btw, the M15000 with the Rio Grande stainless mouting looks awesome. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>

Jelisfc
01-22-2003, 16:39
Not sure about your problem but I've had fluid blow by the pump cap and the fluid was not to the top mark either. I'm sure blowing a line didn't help the pump.

c5dura
01-22-2003, 21:02
Jelisfc, thanks for the feedback. I did double check and there is no fluid coming from the ps pump or reservoir.

I did take a look from underneath this evening, and it fortunately looks like the cover is replaceable without removing any front components.

I double checked the two pressure hoses connecting to the steering box, both appeared tight. I'll drop it off at the dealer and hope for the best...

C5dura

Diverguy
01-23-2003, 15:00
c5dura;
How are things in the state of Virginia?
The steering box on my '98 is leaking as well. The service manual states that the four nuts securing the seal should be checked to see if it is torqued to 45 ft/lbs. and if it still leaks change the seal. Please tell us what happened to yours after the dealer has a go at it.