PDA

View Full Version : Check out these fuel tanks

Jorday
01-04-2004, 14:35
I was looking around and found this. I think my trucks 26 gallon fuel tank is on the small side. An auxillary tank wouldn't really be an option for me as I need all of the room in the bed of the truck. Anybody have one of these or heard anything about them?

Jordan

Jorday
01-04-2004, 14:36
I guess it would help if I included the link ;) Fuel tanks (http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_tank_0.html)

CntrlCalDmax
01-04-2004, 16:44
I think you will find many have used their tanks and like them. I have the tank/tool box combo and am pleasd with it. Do a search on Transferflow (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005400) . I think you will find a lot of satisfied users.

Jorday
01-04-2004, 18:32
Does anyone have any pics of how much ground clearance is reduced??

SF Jakey
01-06-2004, 08:04
I have the transfer flow and all you notice is the fuel tank extends farther forward along the frame. I've done some pretty severe offroading with it and never had any problems, as a matter of fact it actually is built like a skidplate. This thing is way overbuilt and tested to extremes. If I recall, one test was to fill the tank with water and drop it repeatedly from 40 feet onto different sharp objects, never failed. Bottom line is you don't loose any clearance, and the tank is pretty damn tough!

JimWilson
01-06-2004, 09:09
Man, how much does the truck list to that side when you fill the sucker up?

a bear
01-07-2004, 16:38
A quick question,
Can you switch from tank to tank or do they stay equalized ? I was looking at the rather hard to make out pic of the kit and didn't see a switching valve or 2nd sender. Looks like a excellant setup though.

Jorday
01-08-2004, 20:28
I don't know if you have to switch, but I thought it was just all one tank. I would love to have the extra fuel capacity, but I don't know if I want to spend the money on it or not. I didn't realize that these were so popular when I made the original post.

airtime
01-09-2004, 22:04
There is a GOD!
I have an 8.1, and I love the power and the truck, but I can only drive it with a gas station in sight! Why GM decided to put smaller tanks on the shortbeds and larger tanks on the long bed, I will never know. The Avalanche comes with a 32 gal tank. My big block, with a shortbed comes with a 26 gal tank. WTF? I love you for showing me the site, I was gonna make one myself. Can you show me a site that'll give me some money also?
No doubt that that is a trick kit,
Yours,
AT-

Jorday
01-09-2004, 23:04
You know, it's funny you made that post. I just got back from a trip pulling the covered snowmobile trailer with a sled in the truck as well. I was irritated with the frequency of the fuel stops and when I was refueling one of the times I remember thinking god I can't imagine the 8.1 L with this small size fuel tank.

a bear
01-10-2004, 10:43
After further looking into the site Jorday posted it appears that the tanks mounted on the frame rail are replacement tanks and the bed mounted tanks are for aux. fuel. Both are nice setups. Now if I could just make my mind up :confused:
Anyway, Thanks for posting the link. :D

Lonewolf867
01-16-2004, 20:38
Will the Longbed tanks fit in the Short bed trucks?
Just thinking out loud here..
Mike

mdrag
01-16-2004, 23:05
a bear,

I've had the Transfer Flow 56 gal replacement fuel tank on my truck for over 2 years. The TFI tank is first rate, a real quality item.

I don't remember all of the specific details about TFI's fuel tank testing process. They drop test the fuel tanks FULL of water from something like 40 ft to ensure that the design does not leak. The tesing process was described in the back of their old catalog - I haven't read through the new one to see if it is still there.

Lonewolf867,

I doubt that the LB replacement tank will fit the SB. Give TFI a call, they have very helpful sales and customer service depts.

There are pics of the TFI 56 gal midship replacement tank at the second link in my sig in the CENTER CONSOLE/TRANSFERFLOW album. I was able to pump in 60 US gal on the first fill - the last 2-3 gal took forever and was not worth the effort IMHO.
http://thumb8.webshots.com/s/thumb3/0/68/8/59806808ppHuWg_th.jpg

maxinDixon
01-17-2004, 14:34
mdrag

What clearance do you have with that transferflow tank? I hear it is about 9-10 inches. IS that about right? Thinking about one for my shortbed with stock wheels and tires.

mdrag
01-17-2004, 14:55
maxinDixon,

The TFI 56 gal extends approx 1" below the frame rail on my CC LB dually. I've never measured the clearance, but will do so the next chance that I get. I'm have 225/70 19.5" tires, which are about 2" larger in diameter compared to the stock tires - 1" more clearance vs stock.

maxinDixon
01-17-2004, 15:39
mdrag

Great pics of the tank. I'm leaning that way. You're about due for a trip to Arnoldfornia arn't you? Could use some expertise :D

a bear
01-27-2004, 06:31
Thanks for the pics mdrag. I think the 45 gal. replacement tank would be better suited for my SB. Would like to conserve the already reduced bed space I have. smile.gif

maxinDixon
01-27-2004, 18:03
Finally going to order one tomorrow and install it myself along with the big fill neck. Going to Chico and pick it up personally. I've got many long trips coming up and hate refueling often.

Plasticfantastic
01-28-2004, 06:26
I've had the Transferflow in mine since right after I got it. Best thing I've done next to the juice. You will see, their product is first rate. The quality of the kit and how well it was thought out suprised me. If they are still installing for $100, that would be the best $100 you ever spent.

maxinDixon
01-28-2004, 06:58
Plasticfantastic

I too have an '02 vw tdi wagon and an '03 bug tdi as well. Both auto tranny and both modified by vagcom.
My reason for self installation is because I have a frame mounted pre-filter and they want me to sign a waver for the non factory plumbing on the tank and that I won't do. The time it takes me to revert back to stock and then to reconnect the pre filter is time that I might as well install the thing my self. One fellow I know told me that some things were left undone by their install crew which he discovered when he installed his own pre filter. If I do it myself then I know its all done right and I don't have to worry about it. Besides if I have questions, there are many here who can answer them.

Their install fee is now $150.

[ 01-28-2004, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: maxinDixon ]

a bear
01-28-2004, 09:06
Are there any provisions for the fuel cooler reinstall?

maxinDixon
01-28-2004, 16:42
Transferflow tells me that the stock fuel cooler stays put. I'll be picking up my new tank next Tuesday along with the big filler neck. They also tell me that a B&W turnover ball installed poses no problem.

mdrag
01-28-2004, 17:11
a bear,

The fuel cooler stays in the same location and is not modified to install the TFI replacement tank - at least on the LB trucks - and should be the same for the SB installs also.

If you view the pics at the first link in my sig, you will notice the main portion of the TFI tank is similar in length to the OEM, then a very thin section. It is almost like two separate sections joined with a 'bridge'. The fuel cooler sits in the 'cut-out' portion of the tank.

There is just enough room to R&R the fuel cooler with the TFI tank in position. I removed the fuel cooler during the install to avoid damage to the cooler, but you could install the tank without removing the fuel cooler.

I'll try to answer your next question even though you didn't ask...yet... tongue.gif ;)

I questioned possible decreased fuel cooler air flow, and spoke with Ben Winter at TFI a few times before deciding to go ahead with this. So far no problems, and OK sees multi-week summer temps >100F. Also, I believe that since the TFI tank is aluminized steel (and plenty of it!), I would expect more conductive heat loss compared to the OEM plastic...
smile.gif

Jorday
01-28-2004, 17:11
I still haven't ordered one yet. :(

Jorday
01-28-2004, 17:20
Originally posted by JimWilson:
Man, how much does the truck list to that side when you fill the sucker up? Does anyone know if the tank is actually heavy enough when full to make the truck look like it is leaning?

mdrag
01-28-2004, 17:31
maxinDixon,

Your decision to get the optional fast fill fillneck option is a good one IMHO. This option for the TFI replacement tanks works as advertised. Every large nozzled pump that I've tried has worked at FULL flow. You will get spitback when almost full if you don't pay attention.... but at 20+Gal/minute - even those with attention problems should learn quickly :D

[ 01-28-2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: mdrag ]

mdrag
01-28-2004, 17:35
Originally posted by Jorday:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JimWilson:
Man, how much does the truck list to that side when you fill the sucker up? Does anyone know if the tank is actually heavy enough when full to make the truck look like it is leaning? </font>[/QUOTE]I have not noticed any difference on my dually, but then again, the other mods may balance things out :D

mdrag

a bear
01-28-2004, 18:16
I questioned possible decreased fuel cooler air flow, and spoke with Ben Winter at TFI a few times before deciding to go ahead with this. So far no problems, and OK sees multi-week summer temps &gt;100F. Also, I believe that since the TFI tank is aluminized steel (and plenty of it!), I would expect more conductive heat loss compared to the OEM plastic... Good Point mdrag. I agree the tank material should offset the loss of heat transfer @ the cooler and then some. The cooler is rather smallish anyway.(lots of surface area by tank design should be a plus)

As far as the truck listing I also don't think the addition of 19 gals would make a measurable difference. So far with 26 gals and 230 lbs. in the drivers seat things seem to be level. :D

Jorday
01-28-2004, 18:55
you guys are probably right, not enough weight increase to make a difference. I was just thinking that the TF tank weighs 145 empty. That's what thier website says, then add 45 gal of diesel to it and I bet it's heavy. But, I guess the big exhaust system is on the other side to balance things out. Stock my truck is actually 1/4 inch higher on the driver side anyway so maybe I'll be in good shape :D

Plasticfantastic
01-29-2004, 06:22
Originally posted by maxinDixon:
Plasticfantastic

I too have an '02 vw tdi wagon and an '03 bug tdi as well. Both auto tranny and both modified by vagcom.
My reason for self installation is because I have a frame mounted pre-filter and they want me to sign a waver for the non factory plumbing on the tank and that I won't do. The time it takes me to revert back to stock and then to reconnect the pre filter is time that I might as well install the thing my self. One fellow I know told me that some things were left undone by their install crew which he discovered when he installed his own pre filter. If I do it myself then I know its all done right and I don't have to worry about it. Besides if I have questions, there are many here who can answer them.

Their install fee is now $150. MaxinDixon,
Interesting about the modified TDIs. I read a little about the different "chips" but have been leery. Would like to pep up the wagon.
The install on the tank is easy. None of you should be afraid to tackle it. The problem is... it is big and heavy. I did it by myself and it was tough. Took probably two hours, mostly wrestling with the tank. The tank kit is very complete and they have thought of everything. Definately add the large fill neck while you're in there. I cannot imagine how people live with the tiny stock tank, what a joke.

maxinDixon
01-29-2004, 07:04
Plasticfantastic

I had an appointment to put the upsolute chip in the wagon but got cold feet when I thought of some yahooooo soldering on my computer. Its fine the way it is IMO. Yet sometimes I go to Kennedy's site and look at the van aaken doo hicky for the vw and dream of the power :D . Who knows, someday I might.

I have a helper lined up to help me with the tank...my wife.

Plasticfantastic
01-29-2004, 08:30
Ditto on the yahooo. Besides, its plenty peppy for what we use it for. We cannot seem to get better than 37mpg though... but I added some heavy Audi wheels to spruce it up some. Probably what's killing the mileage.
An extra pair of hands (and eyes) would make all the difference in the world. I just had to get under there and do it myself. My wife calls that "head like rock".

maxinDixon
01-29-2004, 09:15
I hear ya on the head like rock. My jetta is getting about 35 average. On long freeway trips we have gotten 47. Not bad. Have an electric window crank problem developing in the driver side door and had the radio replaced after it went dead all under warranty so far.

Made the mistake to read the cummins 600 review...Oh man sounds good. I sure liked my old 99 dodge with all its power I added but enjoy driving this dmax more. I just hope I get a service life from the dmax as I did with the cummins. Hard to beat that tow haul mod in the ali.

Plasticfantastic
01-29-2004, 09:34
If the big D ever listened to buyers and put a decent interieor in their trucks... a lot of folks would probably jump ship. All three brands have come a looong way in a few years.

ryeguy
01-29-2004, 11:57
I'm seriously wanting the Racor fuel filter kit (and hearing a rumor of a GM 2nd filter kit too). And, it sounds like a pre-OEM fuel filter will work. But can anyone comment on how hard it will be to service any frame-mounted 2nd fuel filter with the TransferFlow tank? Thanks,

--Rob

kerry witherspoon
01-30-2004, 18:02
Well i bought the tranfer flow tank and to compensate for more weigh just had the wife ride passenger

chuntag95
02-01-2004, 12:39
Originally posted by kerry witherspoon:
Well i bought the tranfer flow tank and to compensate for more weigh just had the wife ride passenger Ouch! :eek: