PDA

View Full Version : Irraticat Alternator

hammer
08-22-2002, 07:40
Guess Ill have to confront the dealer about my alternator when I go in for my cab light fix.The last couple of days it has bene working irraticatly.I noticed sometimes when I start the truck it dosnt kick in right away.The needle stays below the 13 mark then after awhile it'll go up past the 13 mark.Sometimes it will work fine for a while & sometimes it dos'nt.The problem is hows a person going to get it replaced if it dosnt do it when ya take it in for inspection.Only can hope it acts up at the dealer when you tell them about it or it goes out entirelly. Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

deerhunter7
08-22-2002, 08:00
Hammer thats normal for it not to kick in rightaway . Between the glow plugs and intake heater alot of draw . I also think they want a slow build of voltage to protect the Ecm and TCM .

Nels
08-22-2002, 08:03
This has been discussed on this forum before. It seems that the alternator/regulator setup on this truck has a couple of quirks. It is normal for the voltage to be low immediately after startup for a few seconds as the glow plugs & intake heater are still drawing current. After a few seconds the voltage comes back up. How long these heaters stay on is a function of ambient temperature (I think -- someone help me out here). This may explain the intermittent nature you describe.

Another quirk that many have noticed (including myself) is that occasionally when backing off the throttle at night with the headlights on, as in slowing for a corner, the headlights will dim slightly for just a second until the charging system kicks back in. This seems to be part of normal operation for this alternator/regulator combo. It's not harmful, and I've gotten used to it now. Has anyone been successful at the dealership in getting a suitable fix for this?

hammer
08-22-2002, 12:28
Thanks guys for the Imfo,I'll let it go then far as saying something to my dealer on the alternator.I guess I havent bene watching the guages enough to notice it.Today it worked fine.You all have fun with your new toys for I sure am.What A Truck,Gotta love it,Nothing but power. Hammer smile.gif smile.gif