PDA

View Full Version : Auto Fluid

MaxACL
01-24-2003, 09:38
I have a ZF in my 3500 but have an automatic in my little S-10. It's time to change the fluid in the S-10 and I know many of yall debate the different brands. The question is: will the money spent on a synthetic ATF change be justified in my little truck? And is the flush worth the expense or is it hype?

OK, one other question... I'm gonna change the rear grease in the 3500 (2nd change) and put Amsoil back in. Would it be feasible to pull the cover and spray/wash the insides out with a...soap or solvent solution? I'd like to be sure and get all metal shavings out as I pull some heavy trailers at times.

OK OK OK... one other... I have at least 100 miles with my 4x4 engaged (on the 3500) and want to change that fluid also. Do I have to go to GM to get the stuff or does Amsoil or Mobil make something that GM approves?

(bdh bdh bdh.. that's all folks)
Mike
:D :D

Dawg
01-24-2003, 10:13
I can only help you with part 2 of your question. When I changed the rear diff fluid, my dealer recommended removing the cover and cleaning the diff with 2 cans of spray brake cleaner. I had the truck jacked up so I could rotate the tires/rear end to ensure it got thoroughly cleaned. This is the method my dealer uses. I did the work myself. It was a piece of cake. I probably had 800 miles of towing when I did the first change. Do I think it was better than just a simple drain and fill? Don't really know. I guess I have the piece of mind knowing all was well inside the diff with a visual inspection.
Also, IIRC the cost of the gasket was about $6-$8 from my dealer.

Seattle Steve
01-24-2003, 22:44
Mike- Your owner's manual lists the GM recommended fluids which should say TranSynd for the ZF and Dexron III for your manual transfer case. That is from my '03 and I expect your '02 to be the same. Capacities according to the dealer service info are 6.3 quarts in the ZF and 2.0 quarts in the manual transfer case. Also you probably know the rear axle takes 3.83 quarts and if 4WD, the front takes 1.83 quarts. The cooling system will take 20.7 quarts with the manual transmission (20.3 for those of you with the Allison).

I checked the ZF website and could not find a TranSynd alternate. I emailed them and asked with no response yet. Many substitute synthetic ATF for the Dexron III.

MaxACL
01-25-2003, 11:14
Thanks for the reply. I intend to do 500k miles on this truck and I do beleave in good MX.

One of the drivers where I load up on trailers drives a '99(?) Dodge and he has 600k on his. Looks like a dog but it works.

Mike smile.gif