PDA

View Full Version : limp mode or what?????

Duke
01-12-2004, 09:37
The only performance mod I have is the hot juice and holes drilled in the air box.
As I was accelarating hard onto the highway yesterday (Hot Juice level4) at about 85MPH the transmisssion slipped and the motor started to rev freely. I let off the pedal and rolled to a stop on the side of the road. I put the Truck into park and back into Drive and the check engine light came on. I shut off the truck, started it again and no light. I put the gear selector in drive and the check engine light came on again. I got back on the highway and everything seemed to work fine9except light was on). Stopped and started the truck a couple more times that day and light would come on when gear selector was put into Drive. The third time, the light didn't come on and it has been fine since.
Truck has never done this before. I have 65,000km(Approx 42000 miles) and have had the hot juice since about 40,000km.
Is this the limp mode I have heard about or some other issue? Ideas? Warranty is officially just past. :eek: :eek:

DinoMax
01-13-2004, 08:43
Duke, It's not limp mode. If it was in limp, the tranny would not upshift, and you would have to "limp" home in low gear. With out a scan tool such as a tech 2 or Predator, it's hard to say what the DTC was that threw the light. My guess is was an overboost code based on the scenario you gave when it happened. By cycling the key several times, the computer reset because it no longer sensed the overboost problem was present(or whatever it was that tripped the light). Even though the light is no longer visible, the DTC is still stored in the memory, and can still be brought back up. If you have access to a scan tool, you can read & clear the code. If you bring it to the dealer, they can read/clear it also - just make sure you disconnect the Juice first ;) You did the right thing by backing off immediately, and I'm sure you caused no damage. Like I said earlier, the problem is no longer present, that is why the light went out on its own. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

heartbeatcanada
01-13-2004, 16:14
What you had happen is called "zinging" the tranny. If you would have put it into neutral while coasting, and then back to drive you would have all gears again, just ses light would have stayed on.
When you limp a tranny, it will force itself in 3rd gear. Just pull over and shut truck off for a couple minutes. Re-start truck and you will have all range of gears, just ses light on. Ses light will go out after so many starts, or a tech2, predator, or quad can read the code. If its p0700, then its a tranny code which the tuner will not be able to read in depth or clear, since its stored in the tcm only a tech 2 can clear that code.
From my experience if its an overboost code thrown, the motor will have no power. Say driving 80mph and overboost code gets thrown, i would just coast while in gear down to about 60mph and then roll on the throttle alittle. Ses light would be on, but i would be able to get on the go pedal again. Typically the edge hasn't been known to do that, but when i used to have my predator, thats when i would run into that scenario. Hope that helps.
BTW keep limpin or zinging your tranny and you'll be a prime candidate for a tranny upgrade. Not cheap. Later Jeremy

Duke
01-14-2004, 08:32
Thanks for the responses. So the question is: Is this caused by the obvious? That is....The transmission can't handle the torque of the Hot Juice level 4. This was a straight line accelaration with no load in the truck. Makes me wonder how all these guys are doing several 1/4 mile passes per day at the strip. I will take the truck to the dealer this week and have the code read out.

heartbeatcanada
01-15-2004, 10:33
I would assume so. I never limped my 125 until i stacked with the predator. After my first limp when stacked, it would limp with just the 125. Seems that the 125 might be on the border line. I continued to limp my tranny and eventually it wouldn't limp, just zing. I'll place a friendly wager that the code comes up p0735. Let us know. Later Jeremy